A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,078
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making curtains  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MonkeyMeg
« on: March 12, 2009 10:23:19 PM »

So, this is the most basic of basic questions--and I don't know the answer! Hence, my coming here. I'm planning to make sheers & curtains for our entryway, and my question is this: If I don't line the curtains with a curtain liner, do I need to do anything special on the backside of the curtain? Will it look completely unfinished, or are most home dec fabrics pretty nice on the backside? Or are you supposed to do a double layer of your fabric (wrong sides facing)? I'm ordering online (probably Warehouse Fabrics Inc.), so I won't have a chance to preview the fabric in person first. Just wondering how you handle finishing an unlined curtain.

Thanks for tolerating such a stupid question from a novice sewer.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009 03:46:18 PM »

That isn't a stupid question, really. 

Most fabrics are lighter on the wrong side of the fabric.  But if you are concerned about the way the back side will look, you should be able to ask the online vendor.  You can usually chat them online, email, or request a swatch so that you can see for yourself.

If you line the curtain, it will last longer and look a bit more formal.  If you don't line it then you'll have to replace it after a while due to sun damage.  I personally like unlined curtains for most rooms.  I can just toss them in the washing machine.  They have a light, casual look. 

If you prefer your curtains to have more weight, you can line them.  The lining can be a plain cotton, or something to block light such as blackout fabric

hth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pennyd
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 06:41:21 AM »

Unlined curtains should not have any raw edges. Make sure you fold under raw edges as you finish the curtains. I usually line mine more out of preference and because it helps them insulate. I also like having a contrasting fabric for interest. You don't have to line with your expensive main fabric either. A lighter weight drapery cotton or just a good quality cotton is fine. I have even lined drapes with wool for patio doors that lose lots of heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smoked Foods Take Over American Menus
Patriotic Picnic Basket Ideas for the 4th of July
Zingy Lemon Cake Recipe
How to Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Teriyaki Mushrooms
How to Make Perfect Baked Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...