A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,415
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing for the girl, by the girl- 1st outfit  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 22, 2009 01:23:20 AM »

This is an outfit that was made by my daughter today.  I think it took us about 1 1/2 hours to make the whole thing.  This is the first time she has really made anything even close to wearable.  She started cutting out some fabric that I had given her, wanting to make a dress for her best friend.  So after cutting for a bit, I took a look at what she had so far.  It was way too short for a dress but it looked very close to a dolman sleeved top.  So I drew a line for her to cut out.  Then I let her run the pedal for the serger.  It was the first time that she had done it and she did a really great job.  With the leftover fabric, we created a circle skirt.  I drew another two lines and she cut them out.  Again I let her run the serger pedal.  Here is the finished project:

She was very proud of her outfit, and wore it all day.  (And to bed tonight.)  She decided to keep it and not pass it onto her friend.  It's a bit tight in the tummy, but I suppose that happens when nothing gets measured before cutting.  

And just for fun:

I think you can figure out why I passed the fabric onto her.  Wink  It came to me when my great Gran passed.  Oh, and she's 4.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009 12:18:41 AM by klum78 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 01:55:26 AM »

What a cute and adorable girl, she looks so happy! Well done for a first project!

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009 07:10:53 AM »

haha great job starting her early! (if i ever have a daughter i'll likely do the same thing)

be sure to pass our congratulationses on to her, she did wonderfully for her first time, and at four! impressive!

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009 07:30:51 AM »

Adorable! She did a great job!

I used to draw pictures of fantastic outfits... looks like she might enjoy planning one from start to finish!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009 05:40:40 AM »

I applaud you for turning over your serger pedal to a 4 year old!  Grin
She did a fantastic job!!, and when shes a top fashion designer she can have that picture of her wearing her first creation as a reminder of where it all started!

I <3 Crafting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...