A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adorable Apple Caramel CupPIEcakes!!  (Read 1254 times)
Tags for this thread: apple , apple_recipe , cupcake , vegetarian_holiday_food  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nomadtheeskimo
« on: March 21, 2009 09:57:08 PM »

So an amazing adventure involving free apples and spring break celebration resulted in me creating these:

They are Apple Pie all dressed up like a cupcake.
Or a Cupcake all fancied up Apple Pie pastry style.

Either way they are delicious and I am super proud of them.

I wrote up a recipe, let me know if it is confusing at all, I've never had my own recipe before! (Tee-hee)

http://thecraftivistshakedown.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/adorable-apple-caramel-cuppiecakes/
<- Here.
Let me know if you make them!
You and if you need and excuse, just make them to help me refine my recipe writing inconstancies.

Pie Crust
2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Vegetable Shortening (like Crisco)
4-5 Tablespoons ice water

1.) In large bowl mix flour and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashioned, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2.) Sprinkle in ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together. (the less water you use, the flakier the crust)
3.) Shape dough into 2 disks with your hands, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Filling
Thinly Sliced Baking Apples. (I used the yellowy-greeny-tinge of red kind)
Cinnamon
Caramel topping: (based on http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=22283.0)

1/2 cup vegan margarine (the stick kind)
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup water

In a saucepan, bring Caramel topping ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
Assembling
1. Take out your refrigerated pastry dough. On a floured surface, roll it out as thin as you can. Dont worry too much if it tears.
2. Tear off square pieces of dough approximately 2 inches bigger on each side then the diameter of your cupcake pan holes.
3. Lay the pieces each over the hole and then push gently down so it lines the pan. Cut off any overlap.
4. Take your apple slices and break them into pieces to fit your cupcake pan, fill each hole with apples to the top. Shake some cinnamon on top.
5. Take the caramel sauce, and fill each mini piecake with sauce until it reaches the top.
6. Top the piecakes with pieces of whatever dough you have left over.
7. In an oven preheated to 425 degrees, place your piecakes on the middle shelf and bake for 15 minutes.
And heres where it gets iffy again because I cant remember if I baked them longer then that.
I know it was at least 15 minutes, but it could have been as much as 25.
So check them out at 15 minutes, if the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly and looking like if you leave it in any longer its going to Pompeii all over the place, its time to take them out.
8. Let them cool!!
9. To get them out, run a knife in between the pan and the edges of the piecake. If it starts spinning, then its loose enough. Using two knifes on either side, kind of shimmy the piecake out carefully.
10. Dig in!! No fork required.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013 07:19:46 AM by HSG - Reason: Added recipe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandagossett
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009 10:42:59 PM »

I love apple pie and I love cupcakes, so naturally these seem completely delicious! I've never thought of a pie/cupcake combination, but its something I'll definitely have to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009 11:29:50 PM »

mmm, they look so yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009 07:31:48 AM »

hahaha, they look delicious! but...don't these already have a title? like apple tarts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009 09:32:54 AM »

oooh!! these look delicious!  my mission of the day is to go the the store to get ingredients...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009 09:50:24 AM »

my mission is complete!  i made these for my roommate and i last night and we've already eaten half of them...  delish!  thanks for the recipie!!!!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nomadtheeskimo
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009 08:08:17 PM »

You are welcome! I needed to share the joy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lovely Chocolate-Lace Lollipops
How to Make Easy Minecraft Pig Cupcakes
Strawberry Angel Food and Coffee and Donut Milkshake Recipes
How to Make a Pineapple Coconut Meringue Torte
Old-Fashioned Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...