A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Short cardboard tubes and tiny flip-top canisters  (Read 5723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« on: March 21, 2009 03:58:55 PM »

Hey, I work with kids in 2nd grade, and my boyfriend's mom just gave me some stuff in case I could use it to do crafts with them.

First, a bunch of short cardboard tubes:

These would be great for making adult sized bangles, but a bit too big for kids.  What else could they make with them?

Second, these little plastic canisters/bottles with flip top lids:

Since they're plastic, and black, we can't really decorate them with paint or sharpies, and even if we did somehow decorate them, what in the world would the kids use them for?  I'm stumped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
tgrsbug
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009 04:15:30 PM »

You could put stickers on the canisters and make them into necklaces with which they could collect things from a nature walk in...personalize with names and such...or they could roll up pictures of family, friends and pets in them...make them into musical shakers, like mini maracas...running out of ideas, but I might be back with more...Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009 04:15:50 PM »

At the Girl Scout camp I use to work at, we would make mini first aide kits in containers like the flip top one.  Simple stuff like band aides and alcohol wipes.  You can decorate paper and then use packing tape to attach it to the side of the bottle.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
Riechan

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009 04:18:31 PM »

I use those 2nd ones to contain beads and small earrings.
You could put rice in them and make a music instrument, just like the first one, paper on the 2 sides, fill with rice and than shake shake shake Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009 04:25:06 PM »

I remember when I was in elementary school, we used some short cardboard tubes and sticky backed vinyl to make little drums. Just cut a circle of the vinyl slightly bigger than the end of the tube, peel off the back and stick, folding the edges over onto the side of the tube to make sure it sticks well. (Using one piece on each end gives a slightly different sound to the drum)
We had other shapes cut out to stick around the tube to decorate it, but the kids could decorate them with anything really. I'm not sure about the diameter of the ones you have so this might or might not work well for actual drumming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jeane
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009 04:29:56 PM »

Turn the tubes into planters and the plastic containers into gift containers!

Spring and Mother's Day AND Easter are coming up fast! Cover both items with wallpaper or even paper mache cuttings from magazines!. Fill the cardboard tubes with Styrofoam from the dollar store and put in a fake flowers or plants (also from the dollar store) for mom! As for the plastic containers, have the kids use chenille stems and string beads or if they are bigger kids give them needle and thread with beads to make a bracelet or earrings if you have the hooks.  You can also buy little bags of flower seeds and put them in either container with directions on how to plant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
hp_nerd
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009 04:36:30 PM »

Like Jeane said, easter is coming fast.  You could attach cardstock rounds to the bottom o the tubes, paint 'em, add a handle and use as a easter basket
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for anything is salt water.  Sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen

Personal Swap?

My Wist.
Luna1375
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009 04:40:14 PM »

Thanks you guys! These are all great ideas.

Jeane, I'm a bit confused about the beads and chenille stems idea with the plastic containers.  Do you mean wrap them around the containers somehow to decorate them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009 04:46:48 PM »

Hmm... I don't know how dexterous 7-year-olds are, but those look big enough that they might be able to make something like these: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=290179.0 or other stained glass like pictures using black paper and tissue paper across the end of the tube.  They could decorate the tubes and maybe block off the other end with just a viewing hole left open.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
wtpdesigns
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009 05:20:13 PM »

mmmkay lol i know exactly what those lil containers are for and from and since i'm diabetic i have many (they are the containers the sugar testing strips come in for blood sugar machines) anyway, as someone else said stickers are good, as are paint pens if you use a sealer after, also, the mothers day thing, make pill containers (how many moms do you know who DON'T keep at the very least headache meds and such in their purse) or tiny first aid or "camping" kits for dad, they are water/moisture proof/tight (that's what they are designed for) so pool containers would also be nifty as well... and if you cut some cardboard rounds for the tubes and glue em on, they can make lil stash boxes for the kids to put their treasures in, make tops outta cardboard or construction paper and let them decorate em
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
Halloween Ghosts
How to Make White Chocolate Halloween Spooky Cookies
Food Truck Filled With Nutella Rolls Onto College Campus
Creamy Pumpkin Mousse Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...