A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Post-Bumblebees Unite!  (Read 4123 times)
Tags for this thread: bee  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tgrsbug
« on: March 21, 2009 03:57:33 PM »

Ok, so I know the title is a little lame, but I couldn't get it out of my head, so it's what I went with. Smiley I've been craft-stalking on here for months, using the time I lurk on here as my creative outlet, as it seems all my projects need toddler-free time and/or money, both of which I am short on. Smiley A couple months ago, I came upon http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284723.0 and loved it! I spent a few days/weeks mulling it over in my head as to who I should make my version for, and what punch I should use. My newest neice Ainslee, came to mind, whose nursery is done in yellow and green and bumblebees. I spent another week or so trying desperately to find a bumblebee punch big enough. No dice. All the bigger bee punches looked like angry school-mascot hornets, not what you'd want for a baby girls' room. I hit upon the idea of possibly using my Aunt's Cricut machine to cut out some bees. Thanks to her (Thanks Aunt Julie!) and my cousin Mandy's (Thanks Mandy!) Walk in My Garden (hehe) cartridge, I found my perfect bee. Then, my newest challange, paper...I wasn't thrilled with buying many different pages of paper to get different shades of yellow and green in such little quantities...where could I get a little amount of paper in gloriously different shades? Dadada....paint samples!!!! I am crazy about color, just crazy, it's sad really. But because of this I am VERY familiar with paint samples...Smiley So, longish story short...ish...I cut out all my bees, glued the little guys together and my studly military man husband helped me with the spacing to get them looking nice and neat in a graph. He also suggested the sequencing of colors since I hadn't quite figured that part out yet and was freaking out a little on how to make them look nice. Thanks Baby! Add some $1 Michaels ribbon and a Michaels' shadowbox frame, some Zots and there you go! So, here is my first post, with my first looooong back story. Let me know what you think! And thanks to tanechka, who inspired me, and to the others who inspired her as well. Oh, and here's to hoping I formatted all these links right...insert nervous sigh here. Here's a close up, though it's rather blurry (I was in a hurry to get out of the house and take it to the post office to send.) And another close up.. Thanks for looking! And hopefully commenting Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009 04:01:52 PM by tgrsbug - Reason: ok, ok, I'm a stickler for grammer.... » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnysarah
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009 05:07:28 PM »

Beautiful! And I think it will be a great addition for a baby's room but something that she can grow with. Very clever use of paint chips too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009 06:35:33 PM »

Lovely. It's slightly whimsical making it perfect for a child and I'm sure she will treasure it as a meaningful gift when she is older. It is almost nostalgic, and I think that works in its favour.

Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
tgrsbug
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009 06:39:16 PM »

What lovely comments!!! The idea of it being whimsical and nostalgic sums it up well, just what I was thinking but didn't know how to say! Thank you both sooo much! I must go make more things to post more...hehe:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katie2981
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009 06:42:12 PM »

Amazing! These are so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does anyone know where to get poppet fabric other than the internet?
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009 07:30:49 PM »

Paint samples !!! That's so clever. I never would have thought of that.

But how did you put the bees on them?? I'm not really familiar with the cricut... did it just cut out the black bits of the bees so you could put coloured backing on??

I hope to copy this one day Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lo{ve}
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009 10:24:20 PM »

these are lovely  Smiley

i was thinking of trying to make a box of ladybugs for my friend who is about to have a baby, but how did you get the black lines on the bees?! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tgrsbug
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009 10:35:59 PM »

Paint samples !!! That's so clever. I never would have thought of that.

But how did you put the bees on them?? I'm not really familiar with the cricut... did it just cut out the black bits of the bees so you could put coloured backing on??

I hope to copy this one day Cheesy

Thanks so much!!! The Cricut is fantastic!!! I did our Christmas gift tags and a Christmas gift with it too. I actually cut out each bee in three stages...the full body in one piece, including the wings, tail and antennae out of the colored paper. (not really colored paper...but my paint samples...the new Cricut can cut stuff that is pretty thick) The Cricut then has another 'image' which consists of the top body piece (which I cut in black) and the three stripes. So for every bee I ended up with two body/stripe sets, which I split for the colored stripe/black body combo I used. I still have a bunch of black stripes and colored bodies...who knows what I will use them for. Smiley I glued them together layer by layer, then after they dried, used Zots (sticky blobs of silicone which come on a roll) to stick them at an angle to the shadowbox backing. It came together pretty easily, which makes me want to make another...it's just a matter of finding an image I want to make into a collage that matches someone I know...Smiley Thanks for the comment and questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tgrsbug
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009 10:41:14 PM »

these are lovely  Smiley

i was thinking of trying to make a box of ladybugs for my friend who is about to have a baby, but how did you get the black lines on the bees?! thanks!

I love the ladybug idea!! Your post came in while i was posting the other reply, so i hope that that one answers your question...if not let me know. P.S. I am pretty sure that there is a ladybug on one of the cartridges for the Cricut and I know that some scrapbooking stores (at least the ones around here) have a cricut that you can use during crop sessions, if you don't have access to one amongst your friends/family. And I'm pretty sure Martha Stewart has a ladybug punch. When and if you do one, I can't wait to see the finished results! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucybug33
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009 11:26:13 PM »

Those are the best bees I've ever seen! Very cool! And great idea on paint chips.
never thought of that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 7 Easy Gift Ideas for Fashionistas
How Tailoring Can Revitalize Your Clothes
Family Friendly Holiday Party Dresses
What Adriana Lima Wants for Christmas
How to Wear Skirts with Boots
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...