A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circular needles  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogsrock
« on: March 25, 2005 02:58:20 PM »

im doing clapotis and i need circulars for it...right now im useing straight but i think i'll need to switch
whats a good flexable one....where can i buy it...and about how much will it cost

the only stuff i can get in my local craft stores (not yarn stores) is susan bates, boyle, and clover (wood)
i bought susan bates ones but they're way too stiff so tonight i returned it for boyle which doesnt seem AS stiff but i had to get 29 inch ones....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
of troy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005 08:49:53 PM »

Yes there is a difference between addis turbo's and susan bates (that cost 1/3rd the price) but...

boye's (i think its boye's --it could be SBates) one of them makes a 'silverum' needle (it is characterized by a black plastic cord, not the more common clear one.. and places like Michaels/ACMOORE/JoAnnes carry these needle..

they are the cream of the low (price ) needles

i learned on metal cable needles (back in the day) and the worst of the cheap needles are wonderful compaired to the old style with a twisted wire cable.

all of them can be me made more managable by sooking them in hot (tap water is hot enough) water, and gentle smoothing them straight as they dry.

You can spend a fortune.. (or you can buy a denice set, or even a boye set of tips and cables.. and remember, its a poor workman who blames his tools.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005 08:10:48 PM »

I highly reccomend Addi turbos.  Once I put out the cash and bought my first addi circs, I never looked back.  You can order them online at several places. (I don't have any LYS, so I have to order everything online.) 

What I do to save money is look through my patterns and see if I can find other things I like with the size needles I want to buy.  I bought sz 7 addis in the 32" and the 12" for my hourglass sweater.  I am now about to use them for a sweater from vogue.  The more you use them, the less expensive they are.  If you only use them once, then you paid full price.  I guess that's just my way of justifying things, but I love the way they keep my stitches moving along ~ and on circs, that's important!

If I remember correctly, clapotis calls for 8s.  US 8 is a fairly popular size for lots of knitted clothing and such.  I would say it would be worth it to invest in the addi's.  Chances are you'll use them plenty of times.  You already know you don't like the others, so give addi's a chance. Smiley

No, I don't work for Skacel (the company who makes addi's).  I just LOVE their product and I'm sure several other craftsters can attest to them!

~atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005 11:23:05 AM »

I'd go for addis for the mid-range sizes wherever possible, with Clover as a cheaper alternative. For really small sizes (below 3mm), I like inox, because of the sharp points.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rincaro
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005 05:17:46 PM »

I really like my Crystal Palace bamboo circulars. My LYS carries them, but you can also order them online. I also like their dpns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005 10:33:21 AM »

I really like my Crystal Palace bamboo circulars. My LYS carries them, but you can also order them online. I also like their dpns.

I love Crystal Palace DPNS - especially the shorter lengths, which are such a nice alternative to the "hedgehog" syndrome of longer needles.

The only CP circ I have is a larger size, and has brass fittinga at the place where the cable and needles join. This dealie squeaks a bit when it moves and I find it irritating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Sides
Cheap Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Fondue
How to Make the Perfect Turkey
How to Make a Lighter Cranberry Relish for Thanksgiving
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...