A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting terms, welcome for the non-knitters  (Read 24307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlings
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2005 10:18:34 AM »

1. What is a gauge?
Gauge is the number of stitches (and sometimes rows) in a given measurement - usually 4" or 1".

Before you begin a pattern you have to make sure you're able to acheive the specified gauge or else your project will end up too small or too large.  Make a nice generous swatch (about 5-6 inches square is good), then mark off 4" along a single row. Count how many stitches are between your markers - including  any remaining 1/2 or 1/4 stitch. Divide the total by 4 and the result is your number of stitches per inch.

Two main variables determine gauge: the thickness of your yarn and the size of your needles. Gauge is also affected by the tightness or looseness of your knitting, but it's best not to try to change your gauge by knitting more tightly or loosely because it is too difficult to do this consistently.

If you knit a gauge swatch and find that you're getting too many stitches per inch, then you should try again with a larger needle. If you're getting fewer stitches per inch than recommended, then try again with a smaller needle.

2. How does one inc/dec stitches?
There are lots of ways to do this. If you're using a pattern, sometimes the method is specified. There are good instructions for lots of methods here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php

1:How would I go about knitting with circular knitting needles?
You can use a circular needle to knit flat, or to knit "in the round" (create a seamless tube).
To knit flat, just hold an end of the circular in each hand, knit across, turn at the end of your row and knit back in the other direction.
To knit in the round, instead of turning your work after your cast on row, you just join it into a circle by knitting into the first stitch of your cast on. It is clearly illustrated here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

2: I know you probably answered this, but do knitting needles correspond to particular yarn thickness?
Yes.No. Sort of.
There is a passing connection. For a stocking stitch fabric of average density in worsted weight yarn, for example, most knitters will use a 4.5 - 5.5 mm needle. If you were to pass a strand of worsted weight yarn through the holes of a needle gauge, you'd likely find that it more-or-less corresponds in thickness to a needle in that range. Here's a list of yarn weights and their corresponding average needle sizes:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

HOWEVER. That's just a rule of thumb. You can knit very fine yarn on big needles for a lacy, open fabric or you can knit thick yarn on smaller needles for a really dense fabric. You can do whatever you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinytallgirl
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2005 02:08:28 PM »

DK weight...translation please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2005 09:59:52 AM »

Double knitting...between lace weight and worsted....I think it's also called sport weight
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2005 03:13:02 PM »

Double knitting...between lace weight and worsted....I think it's also called sport weight

You're right that it's between lace and worsted, but DK and sport are usually considered two different weights - sport is thinner than DK...  I found yarn weight "standards" (with gauges and suggested needle sizes) on this page: http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mims
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2005 03:48:07 PM »

thanks for the definitions to the knitting terms... I'm not necessarily a non-knitter... but I'm VERY green in the knitting world.  (teaching myself w/ SnB) Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Les reves sont necessaire a la vie
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2005 09:12:59 PM »

I wish this thread existed when I was teaching myself to knit, it would have saved me all those endless hours looking up "LYS" to see if it had an online storefront since I obviously didn't have a LYS store in my town.... only to discover it meant Local Yarn Store... I felt so silly Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
lady_dementorette
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2005 02:01:32 AM »

Hi guys, I've got a couple of questions.

Firstly, what the hell is duplicate stitch? lol I'm so lost....

And secondly, how do you knit things like pictures? I saw a project of a piano scarf (it was so cool!!), but how would it be sewed, without having to cut the wool and tie it to a new coloured wool all the time? Cos that's what I do with scarves that have just straigh blocks of colour but i can see that it's not functional for scarves with pics like piano keys and stuff like that. Plus would the solution to this question have something to do with duplicate stitch?

Thanks,
Manda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've worked so hard for everything you've got
Ten minutes later, you're a loser
Count your blessings and the ones you love
At this point, we beggars can't be choosers.

http://ladydementorette.deviantart.com
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2005 11:25:55 PM »

Manda, there are several ways to knit multicoloured pictures. For your piano scarf, you probably want to learn intarsia. That just means you'll work with more than one yarn on the same row-- if you twist two yarns together when you switch between them, you don't get holes in your fabric.

Duplicate stitch is when you thread a sewing needle with yarn and stitch over parts of your knitting with a different colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2005 10:27:45 AM »

THANK YOU, you wonderful craftster darlings! So far I can only "knifty knit" but when I have my fill of knifty scarves I am definitely learning to knit properly, so I am already reading lots of knitting posts. This is sooooo helpful!! Much newbie love to all of you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Lyla
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2005 07:30:41 PM »

This thread's great.

I have a question about a scarf I want to make.

These are the directions:

Cast on a multiple of 3 sts (plus one on each edge for a selvage).

The pattern repeat is just K2, P1 - on both sides. Because you are working with an odd number of sts, you get a column of knit sts, a column of purls, and a column of moss st. It pleats itself and its reversible, but its very flexible.

I understand the second part.  What I don't understand is the multiples of 3 stitches.  Do they mean to wrap the yarn around the needle 3 times in one stitch or do they just mean to cast on any amount of stitches as long as they're x's 3 (like 6 stitches, 9 stitches, 12 stitches, etc) ??  Yet they say to add one stitch at each end and one in front... so if it's a 15 stitch cast on and i add 2, would that be right?

Sorry if I don't make any sense.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005 09:49:50 PM by Lyla » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Fix Details with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...