A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitter trying out crochet, newbie questions!  (Read 1180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tamagotchi
« on: March 20, 2009 04:45:01 AM »

(I tried searching for the answers before posting and couldn't find anything really useful...if somebody has already posted this then I apologize!)

Hello!  I am just starting to learn how to crochet, but I'm an experienced knitter.  When switching over, I have found some things kind of puzzling, so of course I thought of all you craftsters to help me out.  I've been working on the Headphone Whale by Roman Sock (http://littlegreen.typepad.com/romansock/).  I don't seem to have any problems so far, but I've been having a hell of a time keeping track of where I am in the pattern.  Usually if I was knitting in the round, I'd use a stitch marker to keep track of where I was.  But in crochet, there's no needle, so nothing to put the marker on.  I've just been counting my stitches as I go, but surely there is an easier way to do this?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some resources specifically aimed at knitters-learning-to-crochet?  I've been a bit frustrated because I'm used to doing quite complicated projects and so many of the beginning crochet projects seem a bit lame.  I have enough scarves already!

I'm also used to nice online mags and helpful sites like Knitty or KnittingHelp.com.  Are there crochet equivalents to these things?  Where do all the cool crochet kids hang out?  Enquiring minds want to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
foreversandals
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009 06:25:11 AM »

I have an answer to the stitch marker question.
We have these little ones that look like part of a spring. So you can twist them onto the stitches for counting.

But a better [and cheaper method]... bobby pins. Stick them in to mark where you need and they won't get stuck.

And my favorite website for crocheting [besides this one] is crochetpatterncentr al.com. Tons and tons of patterns.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009 09:00:02 AM »

With crochet in the round, stitch markers are essential! You slip them through the stitch itself. I use the little hook-rings you can buy for things like wine charms, and put beads on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
ragdollpirate
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009 10:04:32 AM »

I found on youtube.com a lovely video on amigurumi and she just put a legth of yarn in to mark her spot then pulled it out at the end.

Video

I have been crocheting for almost 20 years now but, with my mom being 2000 miles away I am having to learn on my own a lot of new and old things. I never needed a pattern before because mom was the pattern. Also I am a visual learner and this really helped me to figure out what I was doing wrong.

~K
Ps seriously youtube has a great many videos that talk about chrochet just do a search and you will most likely find what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009 10:06:07 AM by ragdollpirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesign s.etsy.com
Nomishona
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009 12:14:30 PM »

I'm a knitter who taught myself how to crochet.  What I did to help myself learn is I got the book The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller.  I went through all the beginning part of the book that teaches you how to crochet and the different crochet stitches.  It was a great book to teach myself with and now I am making up my own patterns for crochet (after only learning a few months ago) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy where I post my created patterns:
www.Nomishona.etsy. com
tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009 07:03:42 PM »

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful in answering all my questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009 10:06:54 AM »

Hi All - I'm bringin' this thread back. It was very helpful but I'm looking for some additional sources and I'm hoping for more advice Smiley.

I have been knitting for years and I feel like I've been trying to learn to crochet for just as many!! I taught myself to knit and picked it up easily but for whatever reason I can't wrap my thick head around how to crochet.

I purchased the Happy Hooker book as well as Teach Yourself Visually Crochet and have spent hour after frustrating hour trying to just do a simple square!! I think I'm messing up at the turn but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have additional advice or resources that might be helpful? I'm thinking of just taking a class but I thought I'd ask the pros first Smiley.

Thank you SO much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009 10:57:53 AM »

Turning messes a lot of people up when they first learn to crochet, so you're not alone!

There are two things to think about when you go to start a new row when crocheting:

1) How big of a turning chain you need (based on what stitch you're going to do that row)

2) where to insert the hook after the turning chain.

For #1, ask yourself, "what stitch am I doing in this row?".  Using the US terms,  sc = 1 chain, hdc = 2 chains, dc = 3 chains.  The chains get longer the taller the stitch is you're making.

For #2 (and this is usually the source of turning problems), it's a bit tricky to describe without pictures, but basically, with the exception of sc, the turning chain counts as a stitch.

So, if you are doing sc, then after you've made your ch-1, insert the hook into the top of the very last stitch in the last row you did (this might be trickier to spot if you're on the second row of your piece).  Make sure you go under both bars/loops at the top of the stitch.

If you are doing anything bigger than sc, then the turning chain counts as a stitch and so when you insert your hook to make the next stitch, go into the second stitch from the end of the previous row.

I said above that you go under both bars/loops at the top of the stitches; this is what you do if the pattern doesn't otherwise specify what to do.  Patterns will specifically say "back loop only" or "front loop only" (or "blo", "flo") if you are to only go under one of them.  (This is also a common beginner crocheting mistake... I think most of us did this wrong at first. lol)

I highly recommend searching for "crochet" on youtube.  There are lots of helpful videos there!

(As you progress, you'll find exceptions to probably everything I've said here, but I left them out for now because it can get confusing for a beginner.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009 08:59:40 AM »

This is SOOOO helpful. I can't thank you enough. I think I might have actually turned a couple of rows successfully for the first time last night thanks to you!!

I'm planning on doing some YouTube searches this weekend as well. Great advice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009 09:19:03 AM »

I think I might have actually turned a couple of rows successfully for the first time last night thanks to you!!

That's fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Some Straight Talk from Author Zane
J. Torres on Degrassi: Extra Credit
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort
Lauren Strasnick Reveals the Inspiration Behind Her Book Nothing Like You
Author Jon Scieszka Talks About Spoonfuls of Stories
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...