A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL! Make a lined pleated pouch! (image heavy)  (Read 13760 times)
Tags for this thread: template , tutorial , pouch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jesskreck
« on: March 19, 2009 10:09:08 PM »

I posted a bunch of pleated pouches last week and got requests for a tutorial, so here she be!

This tutorial is for a lined, pleated pouch.  This can be used for any size or shape of pouch, so be creative! 

(If you have never made a lined zipper pouch before, this tutorial by e.r.i.k.a. is really, really clear and helpful -- that's where I learned!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22875.0 )

The finished pouch:

To start, I made a template for my pouch out of a piece of cardboard.  I learned (the hard way) that it is a good idea to fold the cardboard in half to make sure the shape is symmetrical.  This template includes .5" for a seam allowance.

You will need:

- 2 rectangles for exterior of pouch (mine are 6" by 9"), and two pieces of interfacing of the same size
- 2 rectangles for top band of pouch (mine are 3" by 6") and two pieces of interfacing of the same size
- 2 pouch-shaped pieces of fabric for the lining (trace the template!)
- a zipper (I used a 7" zipper)

Iron the interfacing to the rectangles of fabric.

Then, on the rectangles for the exterior of the pouch, mark out 1" at the centre, and 1.5" on either side of that to guide you when making the pleats.  (You can adjust this depending on the size of your pouch, or add more pleats!)

Then, iron the marks you made together and pin them in place to form pleats.

Then, sew along the top of the pleats to keep them in place (this part doesn't have to look pretty, you won't see it)

NOW!  Pin the small rectangle to the top of the larger, pleated rectangle (good sides together), and sew straight across.  Make sure that the pieces are centred, and that the pleats stay in place while you sew over them.

Next, fold the small rectangle up and top stitch along the seam.

And do it again for the other side!

Now you attach each of these pieces to the zipper, so switch to your zipper foot.  Here, the four pieces of fabric you have (two pieces with pleats and the two lining pieces) can be used in e.r.i.k.a.'s tutorial.

And you'll end up with this:

Now, top stitch on either side of the zipper to keep things neat (and to keep the lining from getting caught in the zipper... I also learned that the hard way!)

Now you have all of your pieces attached to the zipper. 

The next part is to sew these pieces together.  Open the zipper to about halfway, and pin together the lining pieces and the exterior pieces, with right sides together.  Make sure you have the zipper in the middle so you don't end up with it outside the seam!

This is the part of the show where I like to trace the shape of the pouch onto the exterior of the pouch.  I find it easier to do it at this point so that you can keep everything neat, but you could also do this when you first cut out your fabric (just remember the shape would be different because you'll have to still add the pleats).

Next, trim the excess fabric.  Now you're ready to sew the pouch!!  Switch back to your regular foot.  You can sew the pouch in one go.  Start at the side of your lining, and sew up the side, across the zipper (be careful for metal zippers / metal parts, they may break your needle...), around the shape of the pouch exterior, across the other side of the zipper and back to the bottom of the other side of the lining.  Make sure you leave an opening that is at least 3 or 4 inches at the bottom of your lining pieces!  This is where you will turn the pouch right side out, and you sew it up at the end.

Now, turn the pouch right side out through that opening and make sure that you like the shape of the pouch, and that it's symmetrical.  If not, you can reshape the pouch by turning it inside out again and sewing a new shape (as I did in this picture).  When you are happy with the pouch, finish with a zigzag stitch along the edges of your lining and pouch exterior.

Now, turn your pouch right side out and sew up the opening at the bottom of your lining.  Do this by tucking the raw edges inside and sewing along the seam.

Look at you!  You made a pouch!!

Like I mentioned, this can be adapted for any size you want to make, and you can add more pleats, buttons, anything!  Here is a wristlet that I made using the same method, just with a different shape and more pleats, and a wrist strap.

I hope this tutorial was clear enough!  Let me know if you have any questions or tips, and it would be awesome if people posted their own pouches so I can see!

Cheers!  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009 09:34:15 AM by jesskreck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my web site: http://www.sewingschool.org
...Everything you wanted to know about sewing but were afraid to ask...
funtobewith
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009 10:23:14 PM »

Nice job and thanks for the tute! I have a slew of zippers, and I have been trying to figure out which projects to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
ariane.phillips
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009 11:32:39 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I am going to make one of these beauties right away!  I can't wait!  Your tutorial looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009 11:43:53 PM »

Thank you for this wonderful tute! I love you for sharing it now Cheesy

Thanks a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009 01:40:10 AM »

Thanks for this tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
sewfumust
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009 04:29:06 AM »

Thanks.  With an added strap, it would make an interesting crossbody bag.  Love your wristlet too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mj.bestard
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009 06:00:57 AM »

Love it!!
can't wait to make my own pouch using this tutorial.
congratulations for the tut, it's really clear and easy to understand Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkerpuppet
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009 08:57:47 AM »

Thank you so much for this tute! I'm gathering my fabric as we speak (hope my baby has a long nap today!). I will post when I'm done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Jen~
LoCoMoMof2
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009 11:26:10 AM »

Great tut!  I look forward to giving this one a try.  Thank you so much for posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkerpuppet
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009 04:22:16 PM »

I did it! Thanks so much for this tutorial. I made this for my friends 12yr old daughter. I hope she likes it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Jen~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Nutella-Stuffed Cronut Holes
Get Your DQ Blizzard Fix Noon or Night With This Home Hack
Deep-Dish Plum-Almond Pie Recipe
Red, White and Blue Trifle Recipe
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...