A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does crocheting make anyone else's shoulder hurt?  (Read 4499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 19, 2009 06:17:30 PM »

Cause it does mine and it kinda sucks  Sad  I like to sit on the couch and watch my favorite evening television and crochet and inevitably, I have to stop after half an hour or so cause my shoulder is killing me.  I have an anti-inflammatory from when I hurt my wrist a few weeks ago and that helps my shoulder too, but I don't know what I'm gonna do when it runs out.  Undecided  Anyone else have a similar problem or am I the only one who crochets from the shoulder?  Any suggestions on how to prevent this that doesn't include the words "don't crochet"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
dawnsierra
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009 05:29:50 AM »

I have arthritis in my hands so I have that going for me (yeah.) but also my right arm does get quite a work out from crocheting. Also I have a tendency to lean in on my elbows when I crochet and I think that makes it worse so I try and sit up when I think about it. Over time it aches LESS than it did when I first started crocheting so take heart. I'd say try not to stay in the same position for too long and take frequent breaks maybe? Oh! also another thing.. I have less hand and arm pain when I crochet with thread as opposed to yarn.. yarn takes more effort for me.
Sorry I know.. I'm probably no help..  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009 05:58:40 AM »

Mine does if I'm sat wrong.  I try to rest my elbows on something to make it easier.  Then again I do mine at work lunchtime and sitting at desk or in garden at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
RevRee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009 07:33:58 AM »

When I am on the couch I use a pillow under my elbow and this helps a ton! Also about every 20 minutes I stop and stretch my arms, just up over my head and to the side. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdollpirate
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009 10:17:24 AM »

My hubby bought me this message pad thing that is like a seat well I put that on the couch and set it on heat. Sometimes I will set it on low massage too lol.  I also make sure to take breaks and sit so that my arm can rest on the arm rest of the couch or on a pillow. Then whenever I feel a little tinge I stop stand up and do all those stretches that I did in elementary school. Like lift my arms as high as I can go then  twist and turn and just make my muscles move around again. It seems to work. I have a really bad back though so... yeah I have to move a great deal to keep the pain away.

~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesigns.etsy.com
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009 08:16:42 PM »

Crocheting really shouldn't hurt unless there is some sort of underlying problem.  Most pain like this comes from not sitting properly.  Now, I'm last person to be telling anyone to sit up straight, so I'll just suggest this: try sitting in different positions. 

A massage therapist suggested to me once to try putting a big pillow on my lap so that the crochet was held up higher, and that seemed to help.

If you can't figure out a position that works for you, your best bet is to do as the others have suggested and break often.  If you keep crocheting to the point of pain, then eventually you might have to stop altogether.  It's best to take shorter breaks now, I think.  That way you get to keep crocheting!

I hurt my shoulder in a fall last year, and not crocheting while it healed was *really* difficult (I still don't know how non-crafty people can just sit and watch tv. I just don't get it!) but in the end it was totally worth it.  "Pause now so you don't have to stop later" and all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kerallyn

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009 10:06:58 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to try out all your suggestions and see what comes of it.  I think posture might be part of the problem, because if I sit at the table instead of the couch, I don't have the same issue.  Maybe I'll need to bring a chair into the living room and just avoid the couch when crocheting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009 03:07:23 PM »

Also, you could try holding the hook in a different way. I myself hold my hook in a way that is "wrong" according to the books, but hey, whatever works!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerallyn

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009 06:25:02 PM »

I've tried shifting my grip before, and I just can't get a feel for holding them any other way.  I've recently had the thought to try making poly clay handles for some of my most used hooks and see if that helps at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009 08:46:19 AM »

I don't have a shoulder issue at all - it does sound like you are sitting funny or not relaxed..
Having said that - a friend of mine in Canada who will remain nameless since I don't want to rat her out here until she outs herself on her own Grin - does get shoulder pain from crocheting and has for quite awhile from what it seems.  I feel for her.  I'd have to roll up in to a ball and just rock in sadness if crocheting hurt me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Idle Hands
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009 06:38:23 PM »

I've had shoulder pain when I sit at either end spot on my couch.  Without thinking I'm holding my work up higher to get movement around the cushions.  If I sit in the middle there's no problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009 12:29:19 PM »

If I sit on my couch to crochet .. I tend to sit in the corner and that is not enough support for my back. So, my shoulder will start to hurt. But ... If I sit in my arm chair with an ottoman for my feet, things are fine. I also get up and move around every 45 minutes to an hour. I've got, what I suspect are the start of Fibro .. so if I sit still for too long, I tend to get stiff and can't move for a few minutes. Try moving to an arm chair and see if that helps.

lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Shellac Nails at Home
Holiday Manicure Looks To Copy
Holiday Gifts for Beauty Lovers
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
5 Lifestyle Tips for December 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...