A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Machine Embroidered Music Quilt!  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 20, 2009 12:26:37 AM »

i started working on this quilt back in august, i posted it as part of the Brother machine embroidery campaign, but after that was done, it sat in a box for months, i was totally unmotivated. i used to do a bit more quilting/patchwork, but i've never been good at actually completing them, they just take so damn long! i always end up thinking "but i cuold be making so many new skirts or bags in the same amount of time..." Wink

it was already late when i started it, by this point the baby it's for is almost a year and a half old, and i'm STILL dragging my feet about finishing it. luckily, Toronto Craft Alert did a giveaway called "Get 'Er Done", which totally motivated me to get my butt in gear! i didn't win the amazing prize package, but at least it's done, and the recipient hasn't even started school yet (i was worried it would take me that long!). Grin

first, i decided that i didn't like the stipling, and that there was no way in hell i'd ever be able to motivate myself to finish it. (if you see my original post, you'll see that i'd barely started on it!) i didn't like how stiff it made the quilt, it didn't feel cozy enough to me. so i hauled out my trusty clover seamripper (LOVE that thing!) and started at it. luckily, my stitches were a little big in some places, which made the ripping out easier! Wink it still took forever though, or at least my back thought so!

after i'd ripped it all out, i cut, seamed and pressed the binding, and machine stitched it onto the quilt. i cut off the extra batting and backing, and hand stitched the binding down, using very tiny stitches, because i figured it needed to be sturdy for a soon to be toddler!

i bound the edges in the same blue music fabric that is used in the blocks.

closeup of the squares. i obviously suck at both matching up seams and mitering corners, and of COURSE the most obvious mistakes are in the corner where i took the picture!  Roll Eyes this quilt was put together really really quickly because of the time constraints of the campaign, so it's even worse than it would be normally in terms of matching up. i think my biggest problem is actually the pressing, i need to really focus on NOT IRONING!

i hope you like it! i almost didn't post it, after looking at all the AMAZING quilts on this board! i'd really like to start doing more quilting, or at least the patchwork part of it! i miss it, and i've got a few other projects that i started 7 or 8 years ago that i should finish!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009 12:27:50 AM by craftydame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Roterosen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009 07:07:53 AM »

I love it!

Even if it did take you a little longer then expected to get it done the thing that matters is its done and beautiful. Its something your friend and child will cherish!

Not to also mention I'm a music fan, played concert flute for 8 years so the music theme runs very well with me.
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEVER apologize for your art
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009 05:59:41 PM »

thank you so much!

apparently she didn't get ANYTHING handmade when the baby was born, no one in her family is crafty at all, so i think she'll love it! plus i used to make her crafty stuff in school, and she always appreciated those projects.

the music fabric was hard to find! i totally didn't expect it to be, but it was. i have music fabric in my stash, but it was all rather grown up looking, so i went searching for a more kid friendly print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chinese Noodles With Steak
How to Make a Japanese Style Marinade
How to Make Sichuan Mapo Tofu
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...