A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inspiration vs. Rip-off  (Read 4865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Paper Shred Jane
Freelancer, Crafter Hobbyist

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009 10:27:31 AM »

Well I don't think that if you post the information about it here that you are here to spot out copy-caters. I mean the whole point of a forum is to discuss. And by discussing you are sharing and joining together. This is an inspiring place to be. If you do not want to be copy-catted then don't post info on those kind of projects. And you should always add your own touch to whatever you make, unless its for a client. So it should always, at least be slightly original.

Don't get me wrong, I am never for copy-catting for profit. But we are all here to inspire and share, not slam the cuffs on someone.

I don't like the subject line I used but I couldn't think of a short way to say it...

I see a lot of really amazing work here that I am very inspired by. I would love to use some of the same ideas, but with my own Aroze spin on them, of course.

If you see someone post something that is very similar to a piece you've created, do you feel flattered that they've been inspired by you or do you feel miffed by them ripping off your ideas? If they credit you for the idea or technique, would that make it better?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009 10:29:27 AM by Paper Shred Jane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009 12:22:23 PM »

Funny thing for me is, I find that I get a lot of inspiration from work that has nothing to do with my medium. I look at wedding jewelry (odd for me, since I'm definitely a tomboy), scrapbook pages (sorta related, it's paper anyway), ribbon art, crochet/knit items like animals (non-clothing), and quilling.

And then, somehow, I get these huge ideas in my head for some origami thingamajig, write it down, and start folding my scrap paper to test the idea. Most of the time - not always - it works. Now if only I could get enough supplies to implement the ideas to use in my shop!

Oddly enough, I get the least amount of inspiration from looking at other origami - there are so few who truly create entirely new and functional techniques (that aren't boring or overused). I've seen almost everything that origami has to offer - maybe not all the applications, but certainly the ones that I like or am capable of. Maybe I'm just crazy, LOL.

I wonder what someone would think if I showed them some random origami I folded, that looks nothing like anything of theirs, and tell them, "Yep, inspired by your XYZ widget that I saw in your photostream - believe it or not!"

Origami for decoration, gifts, and special occasions:

Sleipnir Designs
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009 11:37:00 AM »

I've been making and selling since I was thirteen, and over the years I've thought a lot about this subject. I was fortunate - I had no money for materials when I started, and had to scavenge quite a bit. I learned through taking apart junked/trashed items and seeing how they were made. I had to look at things from a non-typical point of view, and that was what allowed me to develop and grow with my work.

It was tough but great. I lived in a community of artists in downtown L.A. and so many people helped me, with techniques, and learning how to sell. I've never had a problem with teaching people any specialized technique, because the majority of them were very creative, and always seemed to make it their own. I copied others, learned the basics, and went on to make things my own, and trusted others to do the same.

Sadly though, there were people who copied my work, and then tried to get my accounts. One store owner gave me the intro letter and photo that one of those vermin people had sent her. But really, what was I going to do with that? Call her and tell her that she was a jerk? Not my style. It did hurt though. And when people began using the materials and copying what I was doing, most of it was shoddy and cranked out. I see that all the time....a new spin on an old idea, or something quite unique that is 'sullied' by bad imitation. Just do the best you can- don't use short cuts that affect the quality of what you make.

I have been wandering around this site, happily, seeing the kind of people I like. People who share, and maybe you've copied something someone has made, but what it depends on is your attitude. Play with it, do the best you can, and make it your own, give credit where you can, and treat others as you'd like to be treated. It's that simple, I think.

Good luck to you all!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009 09:11:47 PM »

how odd that I came across this topic, cuz I was just thinking about this today.  I've run into several times in the past where I thought up something I thought was very clever and funny and decided to Google it to see if anyone else had thought of it. Sure enough, each time...someone has already come up with it. Whether its a joke, or a nickname or a clever play on words.  So of course, I feel I can't have an original idea!

then yesterday i started making a new craft that I thought was completely original since I'd never seen it before. I decided to google it just to be sure...and of course, found it already exists out in the world. it'd be one thing if i were making this as a gift or for myself. but it was something I wanted to market at local craft fairs. now I feel like if I do, someone might think i'm a copycat, even though i didn't know about it when i originally thought about it Sad

i see lots of things that are very similar being sold by several people..for example, the mini clay cupcakes/lollipops. LOTS of people make and sell those. So how do they get away with not being considered copycats?  and can I continue to sell what i consider my own even though i know it already exists out there somewhere else? Sad

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009 03:04:37 AM »

I've run into several times in the past where I thought up something I thought was very clever and funny and decided to Google it to see if anyone else had thought of it. Sure enough, each time...someone has already come up with it.

This has been a bone of contention for 1000s of years! Personally I get inspired by others- especially use of colours and textures but I am pretty bad at copying exactly as I have the attention span of a gnat! I think it is right to credit people for great ideas and very important to ask permission when you want to sell or teach even if you have adapted an idea.
There is however always the grey area of where the idea comes from.
What gets me though is people who think they "Own" it all. I was accosted by a woman who acused me of "stealing" her idea - weird as I have never seen her work and also because I learnt the technique and design from my great-gran when I was about 3! No matter how I tried to calm her this woman would not listen. I also tried to explain by saying I am doing an ancient craft(it has been found in funeral wrappings dating back centuries)to a traditional family pattern (I have the design on cloths made in the late 1800s!), and have no intention of selling or teaching it,  but she just ranted on.
I ended up feeling c*p and bad for having other people staring at us. If I applied her way of thinking she originally stole the design from others living in times past and should not use or teach it either!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009 11:04:43 AM »

So, I downright copied someone's idea here on craftster for my boyfriend's b-day present (I'll actually post it here with a link to her original post)....but...I checked her etsy store first to try and buy the item.  It was one-of-a-kind made with pieces she only had one of.  I had no way to buy it from her so I copied it.  I ran into so many problems trying to do it and it isn't as good but it is probably good enough to make my honey happy.  When I can purchase something I want, I won't copy it.  When I can't, I'll try to copy it.

However, I also am looking at buying a bind-it-all so I can do some cute notebooks from X-Men and Fantastic Four trading cards I have.  This is almost a rip-off of the little notebooks I've seen here.  But I can't find it exactly so I'm going to make them. (they'll probably suck anyhow).  Also, someone else here posted a heavy metal playing card deck - I don't want that but I want to make some of comic book covers.  I already bought the playing card deck.  I consider this inspiration.

So, for me, I guess, the difference comes down to exact copy or duplication of method? Exact copy = rip-off if you can buy it from them. Duplication of method = inspiration (and "so that's how I can get rid of all those damn trading cards!").
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010 09:29:22 PM »

I know this is way old, but it's always a useful topic, right? I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I am inspired by many things on here and in other areas of my life. Now, I would never dream of copying someone's work down to the letter then passing it off as my own, but where do you draw the line? I saw something on here, a pendent, that I loved. Now, I have seen this same process elsewhere, but the post here refreshed it in my mind. I have been working on these pendents and have thought about selling them. Is that wrong? Cause I know the person here didn't dream up the process, and I am putting my own touch on the artwork itself. The sad thing is, I am sure, for every person who worries about this there are 20 who just don't care.

The Emperor of Fabulous
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
How to Make Homemade Jambalaya
Bermuda Travel Guide - WaterLot Inn
Snack Recipes
Beef Brisket Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...