A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool, Yarn, etc - AM I THE ONLY ONE?  (Read 588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2009 05:56:58 AM »

I went shopping.  Bad thing to do as it resulted in me in a very nice and expensive wool/yarn shop.  I've always coverted the choices, but as I was never going to be a knitter I have never bought anything.  The only wool I ever needed was for kids Dolly hair and then I'd buy cheap stuff.

anyhew, Now I'm a crochet mad woman.  I had spare cheap wool and bought a hook from lady on market after seeing a video tut on You Tube as I thought I'd give it a go because I thought I could do that.

Sorry for the pun

BUT NOW I'M HOOKED.  I love it.  Hubby says it is an obession.

So I went to this lovely wool/yarn store.  I spent ages wandering around the shop.  I bought all the hooks in all the sizes.  I even bought a size 20 mm (UK).  For what I am going to use I have no idea.

I wanted to buy a few balls of wool and try out some of the patterns from the book my hubby gave me for Valentines (ok not romantic to most, but too me very as I wanted it and it was a surprise). 

I just didn't know which to buy.  The choice was wonderful and amzing.

SO I bought a lot and in lots of different types and styles and a few of each.

Now I can't bear to start any of them.  They are so nice and a little expensive in some cases that I'm too chicken to use them.  I'm still using my cheap wool left overs.  part is because I can't decided on what pattern to do first.  the book is so nice I just want to do them all.

Am I alone or do others go on randon shopping trips and buy lovely yarn, but keep it sotred away because they feel it is too nice to use?

Or am I just mad?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
starchild_dreams
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009 06:25:44 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by AM I THE ONLY ONE? Who is hooked on crochet and crazy? (LOL)

I've mainly knit, too, and I never feel like knitting unless it's Fall/Winter and cold out. I have crocheted afgans, just long strips and change color and use up my left over yarn. Also, years ago, I spent several years crocheting snowflakes. wth the #10 white (or multicolor) crochet thread, then dip it in sugar/water. pin to cardboard and it dries stiff. I had quite a collection of these on my Christmas tree, in the windows, given away to others as gifts. This requires better eyesight then I now have, though. And, I guess I lost patience with it.

I've knit socks and slippers (using dp needles and just discovered bamboo needles. Got a whole set of them on ebay, cheap, but my puppy got 2 of the #5s and broke them, one disadvantage of bamboo)

Now it's getting warmer (slowly) and I've gotten the idea of making "lacy summer tops". Halters and vests and "little nothing" tops for hot weather. If nothing else, I have a teenage granddaughter who would love them (she's into DIFFERNT for style. Like she shops at the Salvation Army store and finds the best stuff)

I live in a rural area (VT) with not much around. So, I've been looking online and on ebay. Looking for "lots" of yarn/thread to get and try. I have an assortment of crochet hooks (some steel,  I think have been in the family 100 years) some aluminum, I just got bamboo ones (I don't like as well as the knitting needles) but they don't seem to have every size. I keep trying to translate them from mm, too. I have a guage thing but not every hook corresponds to it. (I know, samples and guages)

I spent money (and I'm on a limited budget) the past month. Getting yarn and thread, to try. I wanted to get ENOUGH of it so if it worked for something I could make at least one thing. I also bought 10 balls (a "lot") of #10 crochet thread, hoping this would work because it comes in the most amazing colors. I got turquoise, to start. I keep finding pattern books that MIGHT have the tops I want (most of them don't show everything in them) and looking on Amazon, finding them for much less. I still have some coming, and read about "The Happy Hooker" (which is also a book about a Call Girl (LOL) on here and found that and ordered it. Spending hours online looking for patterns (that are free). Yesterday, I looked for the Janis Joplin vest.

I spent hours last night (good thing Grey's and ER was on) with this all over my bed.

Seems like most of my patterns call for 4 ply "worsted weight" yarn. Acryllic, etc. LIke I'd make slippers, mittens, hats or afgans out of. To me this ISN'T light, lacy summer tops (like one might wear over a tank or tube top or the daring ones, alone)

I have a collection of various yarns, like silky sport weight yarn and crochet cotton (which seems to be the size of 4 ply worsted) AND the #10 crochet thread, which is very light, like one might make lace doilies out of (and starch them) 

What is inbetween this?

I find patterns for something like what I want and it gives the materials used, but I have to track them down and usually they are very expensive. And only one company makes them. I found a little girl's lacy dress (thinking it would be similar to the tops I want to make, so I could use it for material and hook size ideas) and it said "organic cotton". Turned out it took 3 balls, at $6.99 a ball (plus shipping)

I have one pattern for a top with the #10, and was trying that (I don't have the exact hook it calls for) but it seems too soft. Like it won't have any substance to it (it says lining it optional)

What I finally did, and waiting for it to arrive UPS, is ordered a large one of cotton STRING. (Organic cotton? (LOL)  I looked in stores here, and could only find coated, heavy stuff (in small balls) Just plain cotton string, that could even be dyed or tie dyed. Even with that, it seems to come in heavy and fine, I'm not sure which is best (I got heavy, I have the #10 crochet string which is fine- size wise) I remember as a child, my parents once had a cone of string, plain, white, not too light, not too heavy. When I leanred to knit, I made dishcloths out of it. The way I remember it, this would be good for crochet tops for summer. The added "gimmick" they are made from STRING.

I don't mean to be cheap, it's more like I'm looking for simple. Something I can easily get, use for what I want, and I've been looking up dying one's own cotton (yarn) which should also work for plain cotton string.

And, at some point when I do find the right "string" or whatever and hook size that's best, then I'll know.

I've seen tops like what I'm thinking of, for sale on ebay, but they are quite expensive and seem to be made in Thailand.

I guess I am rambling, but I need to get offline and take a shower, if I don't, I won't get to it all day.

Is this the right board and topic for "Crazy Crocheters"?

Happy First day of Spring!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009 08:58:31 AM »

I generally avoid buying yarn unless I'm going to use it for a project, because things can get out of hand really quickly. Smiley I say go for it! You can always "frog" (rip out) it if you don't like the finished project. Wink But that yarn was meant to use - if it's beautiful in a skein, it'll be even more beautiful worked up into a project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
starchild_dreams
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009 01:41:26 PM »

Yes, I am going to find something to use it for. I have 13 grandchildren for a start (LOL)

Last night I was trying out a poncho pattern I came across for one of them (1 year old girl) using the 4 ply size crochet cotton. Not sure yet if it's going to be too bulky, with summer coming (and her being so tiny)

Maybe I'll come up with something totally different than what I started out doing (the lacy top  and vest idea)

Actually, it all started with my teenage grandaughter asking me if I could crochet her a bathingsuit, after looking them over,  looking for patterns and find the one she wanted (a pineapple monokini) on a blog, but it called for cotton crochet yarn and said "not for wearing in the water" I ended up buying her one on ebay.

It's coming from Thailand and taking forever (it said allow 2-3 weeks)

It isn't all crocheted, either, just the middle part.

That's how I got started on crocheting "lacy" looking things for summer.

I'm really hoping the plain white cotton string will work. That would be good, I could get big cones of it and wrap it around something and dye it or tie dye it (or just leave it white)

It would be differnt (in a way) and also earth friendly, I would think. Something pretty made of string.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009 01:43:47 PM by starchild_dreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 2/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 11/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 9/11
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...