A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me make this dress more modest.  (Read 1170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 19, 2009 03:37:20 AM »

I've just remembered that there's less than a week before I jump on a plane and head to Indonesia to attend a wedding.

I need something formal and pretty to wear!!!

I have this dress here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=288599.msg3274095#msg3274095

But there are two problems with it. It's too immodest. And it displays my tatt, and I'd rather have it covered up for a formal event in Java.

So - how can I make it more modest? I need to close up that neckline , and I need extra length in the sleeve. I'm looking for any ideas for things that can just be added to the completed dress. I don't think it would look good if I wore a skivvy underneath, but if it comes to that, then so be it. Sad

Craftster powers ACTIVATE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009 04:06:45 AM »

Hi!
I love your dress, first of all.  Grin
If you feel the neckline is too revealing, pin it together with a broach possibly or wear a chunky beaded necklace?
You could always have a small v shape of lace, that could look good.
Re your tattoo, I have seen good coverage done with makeup, foundation and powder.
Or possibly even a short lace under sleeve?
Whatever you choose I hope you have a great time!
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009 04:57:02 AM »

if you had some matching (or almost) red fabric, it could be possible to put a triangle in the neck.  i am not sure what it would look like if you tried to lengthen the sleeves to 3/4 length with the red also... but there might be some clever way to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
J_slice
Bird at the Window

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009 05:13:36 AM »

I also think it would look good if you put lace in the open part of the neckline.  Or maybe more of the red the lace would be too revealing.  For the sleeves, you could take off the ones you have now and make 3/4 length ones (if you had any of the fabric remaining)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009 05:28:14 AM »

I don't have enough of the floral fabric left, but I think there's still some red floating around.

I'm really beginning to like the lace idea.... if you've ever seen traditional Javanese kebaya, you'd see that whilst the kebaya blouse is quite a modest cut.... it's usually made out of lace. (!)

I'm not too good with makeup (TBH.... I don't use it at all. I own none. Not even a chapstick) but if push is coming to shove, I'll take the make up option.

Do you think just a panel of lace across the neckline would suffice? Or look good, more to the point? I can always tack it into place so it doesn't move too much, and it doesn't need to come right up to my collarbone..... Red or white lace? I could fashion up lace sleeves as well, to go underneath the dress sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009 05:38:48 AM »

I have used cotton lace before and that has a lovely weight if you wanted a small drape, or you could use lace doubled up if it looks too thin.
I would use white personaly, because I think it would look nice and fresh, but red could look great too.
Or have you seen any white lace tops around?
Maybe you could slip one underneath, gaining short sleeves and a neckline in one easy hit?
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009 08:54:54 AM »

I think white lace would look the "cleanest" at the neckline. But if you are doing the sleeves with lace to I'd use red. Just to make it more cohesive.
Could you shorten the dress a few inches and use that fabric to fix the sleeves? just a thought I wanted to add to the pool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009 05:44:03 PM »

I like a white lace insert and more lace second sleeve extending down from your sleeves.

If whatever you do winds up not covering the tat to your satisfaction, make up isn't that hard but you need the right kind. If you go to a make up specialty place like Sephora or Ulta or a department store that carries Prescriptives brand* (ask people who live where you do for good stores) there are a number of brands that have a tattoo cover up kit or stick & the people there will show you how to do it. It's not hard but it requires the right stuff. That kind of makeup also requires a lot of scrubbing to get off, or you could ignore it and let the tat gradually show up again over the course of a few days Cheesy

<< has covered her tattoo successfully.

* Prescriptives has a 'scar & birthmark' cover up stick. I guess they are too uptight to call it a Tattoo cover up stick? Works fine for all sorts of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009 06:59:09 PM »

If you go to a make up specialty place like Sephora or Ulta or a department store that carries Prescriptives brand* (ask people who live where you do for good stores) there are a number of brands that have a tattoo cover up kit or stick & the people there will show you how to do it.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford a flight to the USA. I wish I could. I'd like to go to Rollercon.....

Or have you seen any white lace tops around?
We're moving into winter, so mostly it's just the thermal keep-yourself-warmer long sleeve singlet sort of thing.. DO NOT WANT for the tropics! Wink

I saw a sheer top across the road and I almost just went straight in and handed over my money for it, until I realised the sleeves were not long enough. But I did like the square neck on it, and I think that's what I'll put across that ever-so-plunging neckline of the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdollpirate
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009 08:22:03 PM »

If you have a theater or college or anything that puts on plays they might have theater make-up I know that stuff is super thick and can cover Tattoo's you could use some of that maybe. I don't know how well it cleans up or anything like that my friend had to use it when she did costumes for her college. Or maybe max factor pancake makeup that is pretty thick and covers tattoos too just not as well as the stuff that is specifically made for covering tattoos.

You could also add some red to the sleeve then some lace to make it longer then add the same lace to the neckline and if the lace still shows too much you could put maybe a nude or white cheer underneath it.

Hope this was helpful
~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...