A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wall Letters! Inspired by thankyoulocust (pic large)  (Read 1666 times)
Tags for this thread: name  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Heartman
« on: March 18, 2009 10:57:34 PM »

I made them too! for my sister
But i was cheap and didn't buy wood letters.
or maybe not cheap resourceful?
i dont' know... I cut up a cardboard box.
But that did allow me to choose my own font for the letters!
Which was way fun!

here we go... the colors are a little off but i think they still look okay.

Whole name:

Whole name again: Look!!  Shocked There's severus snape!! hehe

letter e: my favorite!

and letter m: why i don't know

What i did was go to dafont.com. They have tons of awesome fonts. So i installed one called casual and the put it in microsoft word and printed out one letter per page. in light gray to save some ink. yeah! and then taped those to the scrapbook paper and used my trusty exacto to cut them out. so then i traced them on cardboard and cut those out and rubber cemented them on the cardboard letters. and then trimming lots of trimming! oh and i made a flower too! and just hung them up with painter's tape. ha but thats cool i guess because then my sister can arrange them however she feels. i tried painting them but they don't look as pretty as thankyoulocust's because cardboard has holes you know?

thank you so much to thankyoulocust! you are awesome for coming up with this idea!
let me know what you think! thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Superjodes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009 07:00:42 AM »

Those are beautiful!!!!!
What a great idea about choosing the font, too! I might have to borrow the inspiration and make some for my kids rooms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ALTA

hehehe... this makes me giggle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009 03:17:01 PM »

I love it! I'm pretty much the cheapest person ever so this is right up my alley.

;DGreat job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A to the L to the T to the A

looooves it.
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009 09:54:42 PM »

I love these things.  Thank you for the inspiration and explanations.  Cardboard sounds like a great alternative for the wood letters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennabutala
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009 04:45:55 AM »

It's amazing, can you tell me the step by step procedure for making it, i really wish to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heartman
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009 01:49:27 PM »

Thank you everyone!!
Yeah that website is really awesome! They have some really creative and amazing fonts and some really fun ones too. I had a really hard time deciding which one to use haha
The cardboard worked really well! Make sure you have a good and sharp exacto knife or else trimming it to the size of the paper letters is a real difficult trick. It won't look nice either unless its sharp.

Jennabutala:
It's amazing, can you tell me the step by step procedure for making it, i really wish to try it

i'd be happy to post the step by step procedure. its really pretty simple.
here goes:

1. I went to dafont.com and decided on a font (i picked casual). I installed it on my computer and then in microsoft word i typed "emily". I made it size 800  Shocked so there would be one letter per page. some of the letters went off the page a little bit because i couldn't move them over any farther. this might be remedied by reducing the page margins but i still think there would be a little cut off. so for that part i just improvised a little and drew it in.

2. After I printed them out, I painstakingly started cutting them out with the exacto knife. It wasn't very sharp and I kept messing up and getting ragged edges until my dad came over and said you really need a new blade. and pulls one out of nowhere! and then it went perfectly. yay!

3. Then, I taped them to the back of the scrapbook paper and cut that out too with the exacto knife.

4. Next, I separated the printed letter and the scrapbook paper letter (from the tape I mean). I put them on the cardboard (a box I dismantled) and traced them.

5. From there, I cut them out with scissors. Not the best but the exacto knife was too difficult and small.

6. After the cardboard letters and the scrapbook paper letters are cut out then put rubber cement on the front of the cardboard and the back of the paper. You have to work even faster than lightning speed because it dries like no other. That may be because I was working on the driveway in the sunshine. but still work fast! and put them together. the two layers of rubber cement make it stick better than just one. but one is okay if you want.

7. once you have your letters get your exacto knife back out and trim the edges down so that they look all nice and neat! because scissors don't do a nice enough job.

8. finally you can paint the edges if you want, as thankyoulocust suggested in her tutorial. I tried and it didn't look all that great because the cardboard has holes in the middle between the layers you know?

9. then i hung them up with blue painter's tape in her room! that let us try out different arrangements and spacings and pick which we liked best.

i think thats it! i don't have any pictures of the process (dumb me) but if i make a second set and you want pictures then i could take some then... If anything needs clarification let me know and i'll try to explain better.

thank you for your comments!! good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejoysofjess
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009 05:54:16 AM »

These look great! I love the idea of doing them on cardboard, because those wooden letters are sometimes too bulky for my tastes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

great123
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009 01:13:40 AM »

It looks so wonderful. Very well done..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man Book Trailer
Meet Author Stef Penney
Ian Falconer Talks About Olivia Goes to Venice
Gwyn Cready Talks About Aching for Always
Justin Somper Gives Some Answers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...