A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: evolution of a doodle  (Read 2595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009 02:39:53 PM »

I am so wisting this

I love it..in fact I may be prepared to come to your house to steal it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009 09:21:19 PM »

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words!  I definitely think that everybody should try doing this; it's a super-easy way to get great texture and height in your structural or mixed-media projects without using up a lot of more expensive art supplies.  I mean, honestly...I used free newspaper that other people in the house were finished with, a $3.00 box of art paste powder, and a $3.00 foam board in addition to what I already had, so this was the $6 art project...and I still have paper and paste to make more stuff.  Let me know if you do make a mixed-media piece like this one...I'd love to see it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbow_jazziepup
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009 01:55:51 PM »

This is a totally awesome project
my friend is doing something like this for her year 11 art assignment....but we are meant to appropriate from someone elses artwork...so i was wondering if you could give details...name size, your name etc.
thanks in advance
Rachel=]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmurray82
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009 06:24:47 AM »

beautiful!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodmorningstarshine
Your face, your race, the way that you talk, I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

Addicted to craft stores...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009 12:18:18 PM »

This is SO cool! I think I have most of the things you mentioned, maybe I'll try to make something big like this. I've never made anything to hang up at my apartment...

Could you create a supply list? Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009 06:57:00 PM »

Could you create a supply list? Thank you!

Sure, though my disclaimer is that I'm not sure how helpful it will be to you.  But here goes:

1.  Newspapers (I use some black and white, some colored sections (like the Sunday comics)...so you can tell how many layers you've applied, and if the layers are even
2.  art paste powder (I use Elmers.  It comes in a little box, costs less than $4, and makes an entire gallon of paste when you add it to water in a big bucket and stir it up.  The resulting gooey paste lasts for a long time if you keep it in an airtight container.)
3.  something to form the basis of your piece.  I used a dented/damaged foam board, but if you're going for something a bit more permanent, you might use a big canvas board/piece of wood/old vinyl sign/etc.  I think that something more stable might be better.
4.  some way to hang your piece.  I used two 2-inch rings used for sewing purposes...they're antiqued and bronze in color.  I also used black duct tape and fashioned loops to hold the rings onto the board and mask the ugly edges of the board (I hope that makes sense.)
5.  your personal collage/mixed media elements.  (I used pieces of an old, ratty paperback; various acrylic mediums, like liquid/pouring medium, super heavy gloss gel, and medium gel; acrylic paints.  You could use magazine pictures, pretty papers or fabrics, ribbons, dried flowers, old jewelry, glitter, plastic army men, mod podge, whatever you like.)
6.  paintbrushes, palette knives, or other things to apply paint (like your fingers, or plastic silverware) to surface
7.  antiquing fluid or gel.  These can be kind of complicated and expensive (gold leaf, for example).  I like the kind that comes in a little metal tube that you just apply and buff to a luster.
8.  sealant or shellac, if you want.  These can be brush-on or spray-on, and they can help to preserve your piece.  These are totally optional.

Basically, I just went with it.  Mixed media is always fun because you can experiment freely.  If you don't like it, just wait for it to dry and paint over the part you don't like!  The papier mache-ing is the most annoying part of the whole process, because you really should let the thing dry in between every 3 layers or so.  Oh, and if you do use a foam board, something about the art paste or the shrinking process of the drying paper causes the board to warp a bit.  You can try weighing down the corners/edges to help decrease that. 

Let me know if you need clarification or have questions.  Best of luck to you!  You should post your finished product on craftster so that we can see it...I'd love to see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RyverChyld
♥Live ♥ Laugh ♥ Love♥

I Believe in Fairies!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009 10:11:23 AM »

I wisted your tree too!  I love the fact that it is 3D!!  It is beautiful! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009 07:16:49 PM »

This looks like SO MUCH FUN! It's definitely going on my to-do list. It sounds like with a few modifications, it would make a great project to do with the kids, too.

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanessow
Zombie Hunter Buys Cheese, Causes Riot

If it ain't broke - Decorate it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009 08:53:39 PM »

I absolutely love this piece. The colors and and textures are beautiful. I adore the blue sky collage with butterflies and newsprint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------------
♣ \/ @ ŋ @ ♣
http://www.vanessow.com
pocketwatch
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009 06:08:18 PM »

For the buckling, some book of painting tips I read said you can make an X from corner to corner with masking tape on the back of a piece of watercolor paper to stop it from wrinkling. I haven't tried it, and I also don't know how it would translate to foam, but it might be worth a try for anyone who is using this tute on cardstock or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potato Recipe
Ham/Chicken/Cheese Hoagie Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Brown Gravy Recipe
Ham Salad and Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...