A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help for unruly roses! ETA: AND help for forgotten bulbs!  (Read 708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abandonedcouch
« on: March 18, 2009 03:20:35 PM »

So, my parents planted some rose bushes in my front yard about three years ago when I first moved in and then neglected to tell me I need to annually prune them.  Undecided I've just now developed an interest in gardening so it's never bothered me before, but now I'm just embarrassed over how shitty my poor roses look. Plus, they literally attack me when I sit on my porch.

Every online guide I've read has been for annual prunings, not OMFG MY ROSES HAVE GONE APESHIT AFTER THREE YEARS OF NEGLECT prunings, so I wanted to ask just a few things before I dug right in there and started hacking stuff away.

My biggest question right now is when. Can I go ahead and fix them or do I need to wait? I've read that both mid-summer after the first bloom and fall after several frosts are the best times. I know that after three years, another several months of letting them go nuts isn't going to make much difference but lord, they're almost creepy looking.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009 04:22:51 PM by abandonedcouch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009 03:37:19 PM »

Ok, here's my advice, with a story.  I live in Oregon, and I used to live in Portland, the city of roses.

I have been growing roses for many years, far more than I want to think about.  they are my favorite flower to grow.

If you are in a warmer climate, look at them and make sure that the roses aren't already budding out.  If they are, just cut them back to where they are manageable for now.  If you are in a colder climate, then go ahead and cut them back now, right now before it gets any later in the year.  Cut them all the way back to about two feet high.  Don't be afraid that you are going to damage them.  Roses are very hardy plants, and it takes a lot to kill them.

Don't try to thin them out this year.  Just cut the stalks back until they are manageable.  If you want to move them, wait until winter.  Generally, you can move them as soon as the ground begins to thaw, if you are in a winter climate.

Good luck and I hope you have beautiful roses this year.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009 03:39:47 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

abandonedcouch
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009 04:26:08 PM »

Thank you so much! We've just started to get warmer weather and there are no buds yet, so I'll go ahead and trim them back.

Another question: I bought some clearance tulip bulbs last fall and, in typical gardening fail fashion, left them in the bag on my front porch all winter instead of, um, planting them. I just checked on them and to my surprise, they're sprouting. Unfortunately, there's tiny little bits of what looks like white mold on each one.

Can they be salvaged? It looks as tho the mold can be scrapped off. I suppose I could just plant them and see what happens, but I don't want the mold to spread to other plants if that can even happen.

I really should just start a rock garden. Apparently, you can't eff up rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009 05:22:33 PM »

What I know about bulb flowers is that they need a cold period in the ground to grow.  They should be planted in the fall and dug up again after they bloom and die back in the spring.

I don't know anything about the mold.  Hopefully somebody else on here will be able to help you with that part of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abandonedcouch
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009 07:38:52 PM »

I went ahead and planted them. I figure if they're already sprouting outside of the ground, there's no reason why planting them now will cause them to stop growing. I'm hoping that keeping them outside over winter has the same effect as storing bulbs in the fridge to force them. Some were obviously not healthy and several were outright rotten, so I tossed them but the ones I planted for the most part looked pretty sturdy. I figure there's really nothing to lose by planting them...it's either that or throw them out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009 06:47:01 AM »

Good job.  I remembered why it is that you're supposed to dig them up.  It's because they need to dry out, probably so they won't mold.

Anyway, I'm glad that you planted them.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apricot and Cheddar Chicken Melt Recipe
Homemade Pizza Bread
Frugal Family Feast: Red Beans and Rice Recipe
How to Make Pizza Quesadillas
How to Make Pizza Pinwheels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...