A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring = Flour  (Read 7785 times)
Tags for this thread: bread , recipe , challah , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009 01:16:47 PM »

I almost bought King Arthur bread flour the other day, but it was more than twice as much as the other flour.  It was also close to the expiration date...  Next time I'll go ahead and pay the extra, because sometimes my breads come out very bland.

I might make some challah just because! It is a delicious bread.  Blessings to you this Passover.
Susie
Yes, it is more expensive than almost all flour, but there is a difference. Usually I like to pinch pennies on the cost of baking goods because usually it there is not noticeable reason to buy the more costly. This will be the only flour I get now. Maybe try to get it from Walmart? I think it is usually cheaper there than in the grocer.

Thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009 02:12:40 PM »

I think it is probably very important to buy quality flour.  I always get unbleached all-purpose and the only brand of that available in my area is Gold Medal.

Thanks for the recipe!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009 09:04:48 PM »

I knew that you had to get rid of all the leavenings, but, I didn't know about having to get rid of the flour too! What a challenge. Your bread looks beautiful. You're giving me a guilt trip though! I haven't made bread this week! Usually we don't buy store bought bread (it's icky and expensive if you get "quality" stuff).
I can't imagine having to use up all my flour, I get it in 25 lb sacks and store a lot of wheat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009 07:34:38 AM »

Challah is so pretty!  I love it's shiny braidedness!

And not entirely off topic, since you did mention King Arthur- but... KA not only has great prodcuts, but they rock in the customer service department. Around Christmas I ordered a few bottles of flavoring and one of them had broken in the package.  I called to replace it and was told to toss the broken bottle and a replacement would be in the mail the next day- I didn't have to do anything!  If you consider baking a craft it's worth the extra expense. I buy KA AP flour, whole wheat, white winter wheat, and bread flour at walmart for around $4 for 5 lbs.  They also carry 8lb bags of KA AP Flour for about $8.  Around here (WV) I can also get it at Giant Eagle and Kroger, if I pay attention I can get it on a great sale at those stores.  KA also carries baking items that may be difficult to find, like malt power and whole wheat pastry flour, and super fancy awesome italian-style flour (super proteiny, makes great breads and pizza crusts)  On top of all of that- it is an employee owned company that really believes in it's products and mission- that alone convinced me to eschew all other flour brands.
(Can you tell that I wrote a paper on KA for one of my business classes?)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009 07:44:11 AM by shelleibean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhymewithorange

chemists do it with models

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009 08:25:08 AM »

Oh goodness that looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009 08:39:23 AM »

Challah is so pretty!  I love it's shiny braidedness!

And not entirely off topic, since you did mention King Arthur- but... KA not only has great prodcuts, but they rock in the customer service department. Around Christmas I ordered a few bottles of flavoring and one of them had broken in the package.  I called to replace it and was told to toss the broken bottle and a replacement would be in the mail the next day- I didn't have to do anything!  If you consider baking a craft it's worth the extra expense. I buy KA AP flour, whole wheat, white winter wheat, and bread flour at walmart for around $4 for 5 lbs.  They also carry 8lb bags of KA AP Flour for about $8.  Around here (WV) I can also get it at Giant Eagle and Kroger, if I pay attention I can get it on a great sale at those stores.  KA also carries baking items that may be difficult to find, like malt power and whole wheat pastry flour, and super fancy awesome italian-style flour (super proteiny, makes great breads and pizza crusts)  On top of all of that- it is an employee owned company that really believes in it's products and mission- that alone convinced me to eschew all other flour brands.
(Can you tell that I wrote a paper on KA for one of my business classes?)

Great story, and so true on the customer service! Smiley

I posted on my blog the same thing pretty much as here. One of the bloggers/bakers checked the post, posted and commented to thank me.

Everyone who has dealt with KA has had nothing but good to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Idle Hands
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009 10:15:26 PM »

There's a very good reason why King Arthur has a 200th Anniversary cookbook. 

I've got a bag of the white whole wheat flour ready to use once the cheapie flour in the canister is gone.  I would like to try making the challah but I might wait for the King Arthur flour instead.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009 10:19:02 PM by Idle Hands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009 11:05:44 AM »

I want to try challah!  It looks yummy.  It's not disrespectful if I'm not Jewish though, is it?  I sincerely mean that and want to be considerate of your rituals and faith.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009 02:47:45 AM »

nope, anyone can make challah, it's just a kind of bread. It's the stuff we do with it (e.g. taking the piece from the dough and burning it, blessing over the loaves at the table, etc) that's religious. Otherwise, it's just bread!

Interesting Challah factoid for you - originally the challah was the piece of dough we separate out from the main portion to be burnt (in memory of the portion of dough that was given to the priests as a tithe in Temple times. The ritual is called hafrashat challah). But gradually the term became applied to the loaf itself too. You don't have to do that to make challah though! It's something that all observant Jews do regardless of the type of bread we're baking, it's connected to the religion of the baker rather than the kind of bread being made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sam07

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009 06:53:24 AM »

Bought and tried the KA flour-AMAZING! My girls and I noticed a difference in texture and lightness. i normally use unbleached flour , but this is much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 7/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 12/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 11/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 2/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 3/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...