Well, last week was Spring Break, so I finally finished a project I started last May when I first got my sewing machine. Yay!
I needed something that would look decent on the twin bed in our spare bedroom, as our house is on the market. It didn't need to be functional, since we don't really have overnight guests, just look... homey. So, I took 15 fat quarters and sewed them together, very basically, until I had this:
I backed it with a vintage black and white print I got for free, sandwiching some very cheap poly batting (I have since learned better), and then I hand-tied it (I wasn't sure how to quilt the sandwich yet on my machine, and didn't have a walking foot).
And that's how it sat, in our guest bedroom, for 10 months, until last week, when I finally got up the energy to finish it. Mind you, I had the binding all cut and ironed and rolled up into a cute little pancake, but somehow, I never got around to sewing it on. Well, that was too bad, since in 10 months, the exposed edge of the binding faded to the point where I had to toss it and start over again.
I wasn't really a fan of how the quilt turned out, after finishing some other quilting projects - I thought it looked... juvenile and simplistic. So, I made some more bias strips and applied them as decoration, which definitely improved the look.
Then I sewed on the binding, and.. voila! (You can also see that we got new carpeting between the first picture and this one.)
And, here's a closeup of the binding / bias strips / backing:
All in all, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The bonus is that now that it's finished, I can wash it, which is good because it's covered with 10 months of cat hair.