A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling crafts on e-bay...  (Read 28368 times)
Tags for this thread: ebay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004 01:29:35 PM »

bidding vs. "buy it now"

What are you opinions on this? Say I wanted to sell a handmade one of a kind handbag over ebay, but wanted at least 20-25 bucks for it (which is pretty low, considering I sell them for $35+).

Would people buy it if I had only listed it as "buy it now" at say, 30 dollars? Or would it be better to have people bid on it? I'm not sure what would work best... I want to make a profit, so it has to be over 20 dollars . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004 05:38:05 PM »

id put a buy it now on it. or even a reserve for selling it? my mom has buy it nows and sets reserves sometimes on her more expensive items.  sometimes they dont sell but sometimes they all sell.
*h

ps your avatar looks like me. Smiley hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurajean

I love your little bow tie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2004 04:28:04 AM »

bid vs buy it now --
if you're looking at doing a lot of tradign on ebay the store option might be good for you - that way you cna hav a mixture of aucitons and buy it nows, and hte buy it nows in the store are very very cheap to list.

But if you're just doing a few things, I would say, set the opening bid level at the lowest amount you would be satisfied with making.  It' s not a good idea to undervalue your stuff as I'm sure you well know - not that anybody round here is likely to go hungry, but it can be a real downer if you have to sell somehting you worked really hard on for only a few dollars.  Better not to sell it at all.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my shop where I sell handbags from heaven
Vilyariel
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2004 06:31:44 AM »

I've just started listing on ebay [tonight actually!]
I am worried about whether my starting prices are too high, after all, i don't want to rip myself off.

I have the same descriptions i use on my site, except on my site i now just have an auction link.

can someone see if i have overpriced my items? bear in mind that these are australian prices.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZtleQ5fchickQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ars gratia artis.
sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2004 10:21:54 AM »

Pricing is really pretty random on eBay. My sister & I started selling several years ago & STILL struggle with the debate of starting it low with a reserve or starting it at the bare minimum I will take for the item & risking no bids. Since you are just starting out, why not try listing your items several ways and see what works best. November is traditionally a VERY good month with Christmas shoppers so remember that what sells will probably sell best now & if your items don't sell, you may need to rethink your prices or whether eBay is a good route for you.

I checked out your listings and the prices seem fair to me, but the buyers/bidders will let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
laurajean

I love your little bow tie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2004 01:09:55 PM »

Yep I think your prices seem ok too. (hello fellow orstraylian!) 
I agree with sasto that trying a few different listing methods could be good too.  Maybe consider using a few gallery pics, they really do help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my shop where I sell handbags from heaven
katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2004 03:21:13 PM »

I think your listing prices are cheap, but I'm also thinking US dollars here, and you don't ship to the US anyway, sooo... Smiley I think your titles need major work, though. Try using some keywords people might search for (Honest ones only- No famous names, brands, etc.). You can look around Ebay for similar items and see how sellers list them. For example, you might change "Handmade glass & sterling silver earrings (victorian)" to the more appealing "Victorian Style Handmade Dangle Earrings - Glass & Sterling Silver" You might have to shorten unimportant words (words no one will search for, or if they did search for them, they'd never find a single auction among the 1000s the search would return anyway).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
Vilyariel
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2004 06:08:35 PM »

hey, thanks for the feedback.

Hello there, laurajean!

I'll take your advice, katiekat and change my titles. I kinda suck at trying to think of good names for stuff...but i'll pinch the little title you made up and see what else i can think up.
Oh yeah, I do ship international! I'll have to go alter the little bizzo.

Larns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ars gratia artis.
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2004 10:50:51 PM »

Also, it helps to include the author's name in the title when you're listing books. I think your prices are reasonable though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laughingatthesun
art gallery owner

love her, love her, love her

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2004 01:30:48 PM »

Ebay has been pretty good to me. I've been able to sell my hand painted furniture for the prices I want. At the conventional farmer's market, people would like the artwork but then ask to buy it at a reduced price. On Ebay that can't happen, as you set your price.  And I've even had repeat buyers! Good luck! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support the arts...buy a painting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Only Jessica Alba Can Make This Color Combo Look Chic
Trend Takeout: How to Throw On and Go Your Dress This Summer
Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir Show Us What Olympians Wear to Work
Back to School Style Tips
Back-to-School Style Inspiration
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...