A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a stiletto heel into a wedge?! or at least making it look like it!  (Read 11412 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twiggychic3
« on: March 16, 2009 10:39:51 PM »

sorry if someone's asked this before! but ive really been wanting to change these hooker heels that i bought into a pair of wedges!

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3325/picture17p.png

The shoe on the left is how they look right now, and the shoe on the right is what i hope they end up looking like after i've done my modifications (i just used photoshop tho to give you guys an idea).

as of right now, the only thing i can think of doing (besides the CRAZY difficult stuff that other ppl have already suggested i do in other forums) is using fabric with self-adhesive on the back... or possibly even flexible laminate http://www.elesgoflex.com/elesframe.html to just cover the entire bottom of the shoes...

so basically it'll just be covering the gap that the stiletto heel makes, while giving the appearance of a wedge.

i hope that makes sense and you all understand it.

what do you all think of this idea? has anyone tried anything similar to this? and can anyone recommend me another adhesive that i can use to make it more permanent if i do like the outcome?

thanks in advance!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glamboots
Uncommon Sense

The impossible takes a bit longer.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009 06:26:14 AM »

Not knowing what other people told you to do, I'm going to put my two cents in. I've never done anything like this before, but being an engineer I am intrigued with a possible solution. The fabric is acceptable, but I think it would look out of place. My suggestion would be a piece of leather or vinyl. You would have to glue it yourself, and the best glues to use for that would be a super-duty contact cement like Barge, or even perhaps an ACC-type (superglue), depending on what you have. They would both be permanent. But the problem remains that you still have a gap between the current heels and the sole. Here's my crazy idea, and it worked once before when I repaired the dashboard of my car. Turn the shoes upside down and fill the holes with an expandable foam. You can get aerosol cans for insulation at hardware stores, or you can buy the two-part stuff and mix it up a bit, then pour it in. It will expand A LOT so try it out before you actually do it to the shoes. If it comes over the top, fine. Just cut it off with a small saw when it hardens to the level of the soles/heels. That way you would have the rigidity of a full wedge heel without the weight, as if it were full wood/plastic/or whatever the rest of the sole is made of. You couldn't do the foam thing with fabric, because it would bulge out at the sides when it set. If the leather/vinyl was stretched tightly, it should be okay. It's an interesting problem, and I don't really care for wedge heels, but if you want to do it, fine. I think I like those shoes the way they are! What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really wanted to do it, you'd find the time.
withoutAclue

Pippilotta in a jampot...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 06:48:15 PM »

Not knowing much about shoes, but having dealt with laminate before, I feel like it won't do what you want.   Are these for a short time on stage or something?  Otherwise, I see laminate alone being problematic. 

I liked glamboots' foam idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetbettieleigh

on hiatus from crafting until further notice.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009 02:30:37 AM »

there's an article..... somewhere..... damn. i'll try to find it. in the movie AEON FLUX, they basically took a pair of pumps and covered them with a matching "sock" to get the type of shape you're looking for.

okay, it's in a special feature on the dvd. nevermind.

glamboots' idea is great, i'd recommend testing out a pair first as well.

if nothing else, i feel like you'd need to create a frame for the fabric to stretch over. maybe rigilene?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frankeknitter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010 06:36:40 PM »

Glamboots idea is great or you could use jewelry resin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010 03:01:35 PM »

What about using layers of lightweight cork? You could glue them into place, then whittle them down to the right shape when it dries, and cover it with something if you think it would look better. You'd get plenty of support but still have a bit of padding in there for comfort.

Let us know how they turn out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010 01:11:43 AM »

I don't have any idea how to repair shoes except glueing back the rubber soles when it warps.  I understand what you want to happen.  It's none of my business, really, but I would like to ask (or is it a comment).  Why on earth would you like to change the style of your shoes?  It's so glamorous!  I love it the way it is! Just my opinion.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vanilla French Toast
How To Make Turkey Pot Pie
Salmon Cakes Recipe with Melissa d’Arabian
Triple Onion Tart
Turkey Day Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...