A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Tutorial: Getting Started - yarn and hook  (Read 2309 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2009 04:37:31 PM »

So you want to learn how to crochet. The first thing you do is head to the craft store, but what do you get when youíre there? Well, a crochet hook, obviously, and some yarn. But there are dozens of hooks from which to choose, and hundreds of different types of yarn. What do you do?

My advice is to start with the yarn. Pick one that is smooth (not hairy or bumpy) and not too thick or too thin, in a colour that you like. I recommend a shade in the medium range: not too light, not too dark. You might want to pick a variegated yarn (meaning there are multiple colours in one ball). Some people find it easier to see the stitches when they appear in different colours. Seasoned crocheters sometimes like using variegated yarns because it can hold their interest longer than the single colour yarns do.

Once you have your yarn of choice, look at the label to determine which hook to get. Here is the ball band from a ball of Bernat Satin:

You can see where Iíve circled the recommended hook size. Beware: some yarns donít tell you a hook size. Usually those yarns will tell you a knitting needle size, and Iíve found that using the same size hook works just fine.

Find your hook. Most hooks come in a package that clearly displays the hook size. If it doesnít, youíll want to look at the thumb rest; thatís the flat bit about an inch or so down from the hook. Hereís mine:

When I first learned to crochet I found that when using the recommended hook I ended up with stitches that were too tight. Moving up a hook size usually solved the problem. So, in this case, I would have probably gone for a 5.5mm hook. For the last little while Iíve noticed that the recommended hook size has been working just fine, which means that no matter how experienced you get, itís important to do a swatch before you start any patterns where size matters. (More on swatches to come.)

For now, start with the recommended hook. If youíre feeling adventurous, you can certainly buy more hooks in different sizes, just to test them out. If you get as obsessed with crocheting as I am, youíll be buying them eventually anyway. ^_-

So, you have your yarn and your hook. What now?  Click here to learn how to make a slip knot.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009 04:44:21 PM by fantasticmio - Reason: adding link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Her Health Minute with Artist Darin Grandmason
How a Manufacturer Innovates ECommerce Operations
How Moo Cards Plots a Small Business Design Revolution
How to Improve Design School Education and Teaching
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...