A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: March Featured Hooker: WIBIT!  (Read 1670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 16, 2009 11:20:28 AM »

If you've been a member of Craftster for very long, you've probably seen wibit's fantastic creations here in Crochet. Brie is famous for her amugurimi animals (which often come with wonderful patterns!), including a meerkat, red-eyed tree frog, and a giraffe. You should also check out her Athenian Scarf, her Owl Sleep Mask, and her crocheted version of Pass the Pigs

MEET WIBIT!

Crafty Bio: I live in Scotland with my partner and our little Pomeranian Twinkle. I love nothing more than spending a day surrounded by yarn crocheting furiously. My blog Roman Sock acts as an outlet for my crochet projects and my general musings. It is named after the first ever suspected crocheted item a roman sock. I have a growing interest in photography and like taking pictures of amigurumi in the wild as well as the occasional picture of breathtaking Scotland.

Q: When did you first start crocheting? Why? Do you remember your first project?

I started about two years ago, and it took me several attempts to learn crochet. I think it is one of those crafts that can be hard to get your head around initially. Finally when I came back to it, it just clicked and I felt like a duck on water. My very first project was a little red dragon, and I was very pleased when I finished it as it really was just what I had imagined in my head.

Q: What do you make? Do you have any favorite kinds of projects, or projects you don't like to do?

I love making amigurumi because they are quick and very creative; I also like accessories, particularly bags. I have yet to try a proper piece of clothing. I am very intimidated by the sizing and the large stretches of fabric. I have made a couple of blankets and really enjoyed it, but they are very time intensive.

Q: What is your "crochet philosophy?"

You can make anything you imagine. I dont like rules and think innovation is born out of just trying stuff out, no matter how silly it seems or if it goes a little wrong. I also like to use the best quality yarn I can get my hands on: alpaca, angora and cashmere may be expensive for a sweater or a blanket, but it goes so far in a little amigurumi.

Q: Do you have any crochet favorites (stitches, accessories, yarn, designers, etc.)?

Like many, I am a yarn junkie and am constantly looking for luxurious yarns that are dense enough for amigurumi. At the moment, I am obsessed by Artesano Alpaca, and Debbie Bliss cashmere is also amazing (and you only need a wee bit so it is not too expensive!)
I make a real effort not to look too much at others peoples work because I want my work to have its own distinct identity, so I like wild life programs and books instead.

Q: Do you do any other crafts?

I do like to do a bit of work with fimo, I think it offers many of the same benefits as crochet, as it is so sculptural. I am also a disappointed drawer, painter, silk painter, knitter, and sewer.

Q: What are you interested in crocheting in the future?

I am very into practical things at the moment, I think something that is both cute and functional is completely the way to go. It also means you can be surrounded by amigurumi and have an excuse.

Q: Do you have any advice for new crocheters, or hookers who want to start designing their own projects?

I think the first port of call is to start with a drawing. Break that drawing down into shapes, and spend some time considering how you would create each shape.... then get going! Always keep track of the pattern as you go so when you try to recreate it you have all the basic elements.

Q:What is your favorite crochet project that someone else has posted on Craftster?

I have to say the infamous Cat Wig post will always be my favourite I am still not sure if it may be a little cruel, but it is definitely hilarious!

Recently I have also loved Planet Junes lemmings.

Q:What are some sources of inspiration for you as a crocheter (television shows, designers, nature, etc.)?

My two favourite books are Rainforest and Reef. I love the colours and the creatures: they are just truly inspiring. I love the BBC nature programs and I am a flickr obsessive! I can spend hours just following strands of thoughts on flickr.

Q:Where do you usually crochet (coffee shops, the couch, craft room)?

I am a couch potato and I crochet on my couch with acres of yarn all around me much to my other halfs chagrin.

Thanks for the interview, Brie! We look forward to seeing more of your whimsical creations.

Do you have a suggestion for a future Featured Member? Drop me a PM! You can also read past interviews in the archive.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009 05:25:03 PM by antarcticraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009 08:17:17 AM »

Great interview! I love the pass the pigs post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ELFIE
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009 04:21:32 PM »

Smiley  Thank you for a wonderful opportunity to meet an admired artist, and WIBIT, what a wonderful personality
the pleasure is all mine

b Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009 01:57:21 AM »

Nice to meet you Wibit  Grin

I love the Athenian Scarf you designed, it's the pattern that made me want to try broomstick lace  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ICB by Prabal Gurung Proves Static Hair Can Be Chic and Sexy
How to Do a Messy Faux Bob
Full, Loose Curls at Desigual Fall 2014 NYFW
DIY at Home Mask for Dry Scalp and Hair
How to Rock Bangs Without Making a Big Cut
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...