A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: no knead bread  (Read 1528 times)
Tags for this thread: bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2009 06:35:13 AM »

I know everyone and their brother are making the no knead bread these days so it's really not that big of a deal anymore. I, on the other hand have terrible luck with yeasted bread, so a loaf of bread that looks and tastes like bread, good bread has me dancing in the streets!  I'm so happy I had to share.

Here is the outside. I forgot to take a pic before i cut it.  It's very free form and rustic looking, but beautiful to me because the dough actually turned into bread!!

inside, nice big bubbles

There are a few things i'd change next time around, like cooking it a big longer so the crust stays crisper longer.  It was even a big hit with the 3yr old who in the past has refused to eat crusty bread.  She even requested the bread for lunch yesterday!

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009 07:29:05 AM »

Man, that last picture is making me hungry, it looks so tasty.  I bet it would make a great bread bowl for soup or a salad.

living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009 07:41:38 AM »

i am 103% clueless about bread but this looks great and sometimes i get curious about baking... maybe i could try this.  what recipe did you use?

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Distracted by shiney

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009 08:53:19 AM »

i'm glad you decided to post it, even if everyone is doing it these days. no two loafs of bread are alike! Grin

looks delicious

Lok-Tar Ogar!

Birdy's Blog: http://birdythemighty.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009 12:35:40 PM »

Love the no-knead bread.  Did you use the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day recipe?  Haven't bought a loaf since I started making the dough in batches from that book.

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009 02:17:20 PM »

I got the "artisan bread in 5 min a day" book for xmas, but I was a little scared to try it out.  I didnt want to get stuck with a bunch of dough in the fridge if I couldnt get the bread to work so i used this recipe instead:  http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/09/10/no-knead-bread-revisited

what i did differently was for the first rise i stuck it in the oven(turned off) with the light on.  The lightbulb in the oven kept the dough at a constant temp, which I think had been my problem in the past...it's still pretty cold where I live and we turn the heat way down at night.   also, i did not put the dough in a dish cloth for the 2nd rise, instead i put a piece of parchment paper in a 10 inch skillet and plopped my dough in there, then just lifted my parchment and carefully placed it in the hot dutch oven before baking it.

If you are scared of making bread like i was definately give this, or the recipes in the Artisan bread in 5 min a day a try.  If I could do it so can you!

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009 05:02:36 PM »

Funny, you should start this thread.  I've been obsessed with the recipe ever since it was published in 2006 but hadn't got around to actually baking it until a few weeks ago when Mark Bittman did a followup on a quicker no-knead version.  No-knead is as good as any bakery bread I've ever bought.

I baked mine in a makeshift Dutch oven made out of a cast iron frying pan and a ceramic casserole, but I was so delighted with the results, I finally broke down and bought the 5 quart Lodge Cast-Iron Dutch Oven at Target last week for $30.  I thought about getting the enamel version for $65, but they both do the same thing and Target didn't have it in an enamel color I liked. Walmart has the Tramontina enamel cast iron dutch oven for about the same price as the Lodge.

Next, I'm going to experiment with a sourdough version of no-knead bread.  My starter is bubbling away in the kitchen as I write this.  The recipe can be found here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html  There are videos on Youtube.  Just search for no-knead bread.

I took the handmade pledge at birth
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009 06:42:49 AM »

Thanks for posting this!  I have been out of the loop on bread making since 2005 since I didnt even want to be tempted.   I broke my neck and there was no way I could knead but this recipe has brought bread back into my home.  me and the kids made our first loaf yesterday and it was wonderful.  I had to get the kids to do most of the work  (lifting that cast iron pot that has been stuck in the pantry for years).  but it couldnt be better.  my 4 year old loved mixing it too she said it was like sticky playdough.

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009 06:51:40 PM »

I LOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve no knead bread.  Yours looks great.  I love how bubbly the dough gets, when it is the long rested one - the one that sits and stews for 18 hours.  I got so passionate about it, I bought the Artisan Bread in 5 book too - the egg bread is fantastic in that!  Between that, and the bread maker for making kneaded bread, I haven't bought any store bought bread in a couple of months since I made a concerted effort not to.  I also even made my own bagels last week, and two baguettes the other night.

Do a search here for no knead - I posted a bunch of links to other recipes over the past year for sites that have different flavours of no knead, and also some for whole grain recipes too.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009 01:58:29 PM »

This is such great bread.  My mom makes it all the time and likes to experiment with different add-ins like parmesan cheese, different types of olives, fresh herbs, etc.  I really need to try making it myself, but fear I'd eat the whole loaf in one sitting!

Etsy - www.etsy.com/shop/OCCASIONsonjabegonia

Facebook  - www.facebook.com/occasionsbysonjabegonia

Tumblr - sonjabegoniach.tumblr.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Oscar Inspired Hairstyles
How to Get a Perfect Pro Blow Out at Home
George Papanikolas Predicts Oscar Red Carpet Hair Trends
Model Chrissy Teigen Inspires a Long Hair Makeover
How to Get the Perfect Shade of Red Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...