A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to Buy Pre-Smocked Fabric Online  (Read 39150 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gracenote30
« on: March 16, 2009 05:41:32 AM »

I am a novice sewer, and want to make my daughter a little dress out of the pre-smocked sundress fabric.  We only have a very small JoAnn fabric in our area (just lost our WalMart fabric dept.) and they only had a few different kinds of this fabric.  Any idea where I can buy some online?  I have searched for "Pre-Smocked", "Smocked", "Gathered", "Pre-Gathered", "Shirred", etc....Any other ideas?  Thanks so much for your help!    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009 07:18:51 AM »

It may look intimidating, but using elastic thread to shirr is pretty easy.  That way you can use a fabric that you like instead of one of the few varieties they have for shirred fabric.  The ones I have seen in the store were mostly for adults, too, so the shirring was too big for a little one.

I use elastic thread all the time in making clothes for my daughter, and this is a quick and simple way to make a dress.  I made this 4th of July dress in no time using the method below:

You can find elastic thread at any fabric store with a good notions supply. It can be found with the rest of the elastic, not the thread.

1. Hand wind the bobbin with the elastic thread and don't pull it.

2. Use regular thread for your top thread.

3. Set your stitch length to the longest stitch and I usually set the tension around 3-4.

4. Cut your fabric with at least a 2:1 ratio for the size you need.

5. Hem the top of the piece first. It is difficult to do when it is all bunched up.

6. Start sewing in long straight lines. You can trace your guidelines if you want or just go slowly. I use the sewing lines as a guide for distance. I go down three stitches in between each line.

7. When you are done sewing your lines, tie the two threads together. It is hard to use an anchoring stitch with the elastic thread, so tying them together is necessary.

8. Now if it didn't shirr enough while you were sewing, you can use a steam iron to bring it out. It usually shirrs more when I put the outfit in the dryer, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeraMom
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009 09:40:52 PM »

I was so afraid of shirring but it really, REALLY is soooo easy! You'll be amazed at how fast it comes together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009 09:03:42 PM »

Bear in mind also it's a tad early in the year for that stuff. It's nearly always part of the Summer fabrics & not Spring. The week before Easter is the soonest you can expect to see it in stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momma2many
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009 03:50:31 PM »

that stuff is too expensive to buy.  dont be intimidated in doing it.  there are a ton shirring tutes online and the advantage is that you can pick out the exact fabric you want.  Hancocks has it in stock so youshould be able to buy it online if you relly feel you need to.  but if you follow the tute you will be so proud of yourself and save a ton of money. here is a good one
http://portabellopixie.typepad.com/portabellopixie/files/full_shir_madness_tutorial.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neversews1234
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010 10:27:02 AM »

I have this exact question......Im looking for pre gathered, smocked fabric to make bridesmaids skirts (some of them are pregnant so stretch is perfect)....but I cant find any good material. I have a pre-gathered/smocked skirt that I made from fabric I bought on clearance at Walmart....it wasnt childish, but actually very dressy. And thats what I need to find....I googled like crazy! Have looked in every store! And have found nothing!! Let me know if you find anything, please! Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010 12:31:49 PM »

FYI for Canadian Craftsters, Fabricland is carrying pre-shirred fabric. The FL I saw them at recently had a box that the rolls were sitting in with a tube dress with tie straps on a hanger above them. Musta been a good dozen different fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnash962
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013 09:11:01 AM »

Since you had posted this back in '09 has your local Walmart started selling fabric again? All of our Walmart stores finally have their fabric department back in stock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Model Off-Duty Style at NYFW Spring 2014
Steal Her Style: Lea Michele
Dress For The Job You Want
Sarah Jessica Parker Debuts Shoe Collection
FIRST LOOK: Calvin Klein Collection - NYFW Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...