A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Building a privacy fence  (Read 2554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JakeHazelip
« on: September 23, 2003 10:32:42 AM »

I'm new here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.  I'm fishing for ideas.

My wife is in school full time, I work full time, and we own our home.  With a single income, I believe we qualify for the distinction of po'.

A friend of mine at work once told me a story about a neighbor of his parents.  This neighbor purchased a large number, as in several pallets, of surplussed military skis.  Using left over shelving brackets from a closed grocery store in the area, he removed the bootings from the skis, and erected an, by all accounts, attractive privacy fence.  The shelving was spray painted with rustoleum, or some such color to match the skis and protect them, and the fence has stood since.

This story has been stuck in my head for a while now.  Particularly now that we'd like to put up a fence.

Can anyone help me to figure out what I can use and how to use it to erect my own unique privacy fence?  I'm in a wonderful position to do so, since there aren't any homeowners' association militants about.  No HOA at all, actually.

Should I just scrap it and save up my money to buy the fence panels and do it the common way, or is there a way I can have a really great, and unique fence?

Thanks for your kind attention,
Jake
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003 12:18:49 PM »

What a great opportunity to do something a little bit out of the ordinary.

I don't have any ideas just yet but I recently saw a home improvement show on TV that talked about the best materials for fences so that they don't rot.

I guess you can get all plastic fences these days that are made to look like painted wood.  Or you can get this wierd hybrid where it's wood at the top and plastic where it goes into the ground.

Anyway, I'm guessing that you're more fishing for cool ideas than worrying about materials right now.  I'll have to mull this over........... hmmm.........

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003 04:09:04 PM »

hey, check out the hgtv website (hgtv.com) - they have buckets of ideas on recycled home improvements and creative reusing ideas and such.  i made a clothing rack out of pvc pipes with one of their suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Tips for Conducting an Interview
Walter Mosley Talks Adapting Books to Films
That Awkward Moment Junket
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...