A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bugs in resin  (Read 11496 times)
Tags for this thread: cicada , resin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetpea001
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009 08:07:28 PM »

These are great.  I love the bronzing/silver plating idea, but what I would do if I had a whole box full of exoskeletons is to make a table top, encasing them completely in a thick layer of resin.  So you have a nice smooth top, but when you look down you have the awesome color/texture/creepy bug thing going on.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brieboo
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009 08:15:27 PM »

That's a pretty awesome, if rather strange gift.
Lol, my cicada story is that one time when I was very little, I was barefoot in my yard with one of my dad's friends and I stepped on a cicada shell, which I kind of freaked out about, and my dad's friend told me that it had acid in it that would eat through my foot and I absolutely flipped and ran back inside to wash my feet.

As for what you should do with them, hm... you could dress them in little tiny clothes (I was thinking Sculpey, but you could do fabric, too, I guess) and put them in resin cubes. And then give them away, because I know I would have no desire to have something that strange in my house, but it'd be funny to see your friends' reactions!

...okay, I'm going to go away now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NaughtyLibrarian
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009 08:21:03 PM »

What an awesome gift! I don't thing they're gross at all, and I LOVE the resin angle! I like the idea that was posted about doing a huge table top with them. I live in Texas, so they're all over the place here, when I was a kid I would spend hours with coffee cans and Pringles cans roaming around filling them up with what I called "locust shells". When people came over, I would ask if they wanted to see "my collection". I think most adults assumed I meant my dolls or something, unitl I would bring out 20 Pringles cans full of exoskeletons....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
castlesinthesky
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009 09:04:42 PM »

That is a-ma-zing!! I love cicadas! We had the 17-year variety in Cincinnati the year I got married, they were everywhere, and my husband and I always said we'd get cicada tattoos some day. Did you know that cicadas are a symbol of transformation? A whole box full must indicate lots of change, or at least a ton of creative energy.  Cheesy I love what you did with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bakeneko
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009 10:22:49 PM »

I love these. A kids we called them crunch bugs (just the exoskeletons).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yossarian
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009 10:38:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great replies, I can't believe this is a 'hot new project' cool!

I loved reading everyones stories and memories, soo funny! Especially yours brieboo!

These are great.  I love the bronzing/silver plating idea, but what I would do if I had a whole box full of exoskeletons is to make a table top, encasing them completely in a thick layer of resin.  So you have a nice smooth top, but when you look down you have the awesome color/texture/creepy bug thing going on.  

I LOVE this idea, in fact I was already half thinking about doing it! It would be so cool/creepy.

A friend once sent me some dead cockroaches in a letter...they were, of course, all crunched up in the envelope. I think he was hoping for the 'What the..? EEEWWWWWW!!' response. When I opened it and saw what was inside I just laughed...it was so very the kind of thing I would expect from him Smiley

As for ideas...you could make belt buckles. I'm thinking of some that I absolutely love by an Etsy seller (www.bykali.etsy.com)...she usually uses nails, broken mirrors, washers and that sort of thing in resin. I love her nail burst belt buckles.

Or you could make some resin bracelets...it would look like cicadas marching around your wrist. Or, sticking with the resin, barrettes...bugs in your hair, ick! lol Then there are always earrings or necklaces. Or you could hop over to the knitting section and make these http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=285832.0, although you'd have to find bigger straws unless your cicadas are small. Ok, I'm out of ideas.

Your ideas are really awesome, and those buckles on etsy are awesome! Barettes are a cool idea too, in fact, I may glue those two teardrop shaped ones to barettes!
Those knitting needles are gorgeous, so cool!

I admire your creativity and the fact that you through outside the box (or inside in this case) so well done.
But it is gross, sorry.
Thank you! Oh I know, they are gross. You should have seen me opening the box, I was screaming and near tears I swear!

ohh. i just finished doing some silver castings. i bet they would turn out really neat as long as they're not too thin. i don't have any first-hand experience with cicada shells, but now i kind of want to hunt some out to cast.

How do you do silver/bronze casting? i have never seen much of it, but it sounds really interesting! The shells are really thin, I guess they would be too fragile, which is a shame.
so first... yuck. Smiley Although I once did some interesting things with dead ladybugs, so who am I to talk?

But working off the yuck factor, it would be VERY cool to cast some in resin and then affix it to the bottom of water glass, so once you finish drinking your milk you realize there's a nasty dead bug at the bottom... EWWW!

Of course I have no idea how to do that, but you seem like an enterprising sort. Smiley

This sounds like an awesome idea too! I am so glad I have such a huge box of them, there are so many things I want to try! It would be so creepy to find cicadas in the bottom of your drink!

Shocked I am in absolute love with the heart shaped one!  Roll Eyes Me and my nerdyness....

The idea of the garland is really neat. I'll have to try to come up with some ideas.
I love the heart shaped one too, cicadas in love, awwww how sweet! My sister has already claimed this one, but I definatly think I will make more like this!

Wow. This brings back memories for me! I actually have a cicada story- weird. So, not sure why we started this, but from the time my brother and I were about 4 or 5, every fall we'd gather a bunch of shells and put them all over my dad's desk and computer as a joke. Ok, not much of a story, but my dad would always pretend to freak out and we'd think we were awesome. Smiley

I actually missed the sound of them when I moved to Colorado! When I moved back home (IL) I loved opening my windows in late summer and drifted to sleep with them buzzing. Odd, I know. They can get overwhelmingly loud though!

As for ideas- I always thought it'd be cool to string them together and hang them for Halloween, or on a mantle or wall or Christmas tree if you want to be really strange. Like stringing popcorn, but not... Ooh, I bet you could insert Christmas lights into the holes in the shells and have light up bugs!

Or use resin and put them in ice cube trays for bug cubes...

Put them in someones bed for a crunchy surprise.

Put them in a cereal box for a morning treat- can you picture the look on their face when cicada shells pour into their cereal bowl? (April 1st is coming up)

OK, I'm done with the weirdness for now. But I may come up with more ideas later. You've got my brain going. Scary.
I'm gonna have to do some shell collecting this fall... I want a cicada garland now.

Oh boy,

Cute story about you and your brother!
The garland idea is definatly cool! Would love to string some around somewhere!
I also love the icecube idea, it's a shame I wouldn't be able to put them in peoples drinks though!!
Putting them in a cereal box, that is so cool too, I might do that to my brother, before going on to turn them into something!

Thank you EVERYONE for your great comments, I'm so sorry I can't reply to all of them, but I do appreciate them! I would be stuck here all night if I tried to reply to you all!!
Can't wait to here more ideas, and hear more funny stories,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009 02:22:22 AM »

We have cicadas in plentiful supply in Australia.
Maybe you could leave the legs on and they can stick to your jumper with their little hooky feet? When I was a kid we'd get around with cicada broaches hooked on at the right time of year. You need a wooly jumper though. And the resin would be too heavy.... but I am having fun imagining it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yossarian
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009 02:26:25 AM »

We have cicadas in plentiful supply in Australia.
Maybe you could leave the legs on and they can stick to your jumper with their little hooky feet? When I was a kid we'd get around with cicada broaches hooked on at the right time of year. You need a wooly jumper though. And the resin would be too heavy.... but I am having fun imagining it.

Hahaha oh that sounds like so much fun! I'm sure you kids were the absolute height of fashion!  Tongue
I totally might do that, put on a wooly jumper and COVER it with cicadas...
And then go to class.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009 03:43:47 AM »

Okay, this may be a dumb question but where are the wings?

Many people use their wings for OOAK fairies. Id love a few sets of wings but don't think they come this far north.

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009 04:49:30 AM »

There's no such thing as  a dumb question. The cicadas start life crawling around underground then develop their crunchy shell. They take their wings with them when they fly away.
Some science wiz can explain this better. For wings you'd need to catch/find a noisy flying one and rip its wings off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 1/2
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 2/2
How to Use the Render Que - Adobe After Effects
How to Create Templates - Sony Vegas Tutorial
How to Stop Camtasia Studio From Lagging
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...