A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bugs in resin  (Read 10004 times)
Tags for this thread: cicada , resin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yossarian
« on: March 15, 2009 09:00:12 PM »

What do you do when you friend mails you a HUGE box of cicada shells?

You put it in resin of course!
Apologies for the crappy pictures, I always have a hard time photographing resin. I guess I should take it outside an turn off the flash. Maybe I will do that later, if anyone is interested in seeing better pictures.
I still need to snap the legs off the back, and turn them into things!
Enjoy.
=)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009 09:41:12 PM »

someone shipped you a large box of insect shells? hmmm, must be some kind of back story there........
but i really actually like what you've done with them. i especially like the heart one. its got that creepy/cute combo that i adore. nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009 09:48:38 PM »

I kind of feel woozy!  I hate the sound cicadas make! It makes my ears bleed.  But I love such a wonderful surprise in the mail!  Are you going to mail some back to your friend? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
yossarian
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009 10:11:08 PM »

someone shipped you a large box of insect shells? hmmm, must be some kind of back story there........
but i really actually like what you've done with them. i especially like the heart one. its got that creepy/cute combo that i adore. nice!

We were hanging out in the gardens one day, and she found a cicada shell, I told her if she kept it the whole night I'd give her a present. Well, next thing you know I'm getting a whole box of them delivered to my door! Not much of a back story!

I kind of feel woozy!  I hate the sound cicadas make! It makes my ears bleed.  But I love such a wonderful surprise in the mail!  Are you going to mail some back to your friend? 
Oh the sound is horrible, I went on a camping trip last month and was woken up by cicadas every morning!
It was such a freaky surprise! When i opened it I was screaming, and she had also filled the box with presents, so I had to fish through to get them!
I am going to make her jewellery out of some, this ones were just testers though!

I need to think of something awesome I can do with all these cicadas, I'm open to suggestions, and the crazier the better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009 10:30:28 PM »

I was researching cicadas and I saw people eating them.  Maybe you could fill them with bacon and chocolate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yossarian
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 10:34:40 PM »

I was researching cicadas and I saw people eating them.  Maybe you could fill them with bacon and chocolate?

EWWWWW!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009 10:34:56 PM »

Wow. This brings back memories for me! I actually have a cicada story- weird. So, not sure why we started this, but from the time my brother and I were about 4 or 5, every fall we'd gather a bunch of shells and put them all over my dad's desk and computer as a joke. Ok, not much of a story, but my dad would always pretend to freak out and we'd think we were awesome. Smiley

I actually missed the sound of them when I moved to Colorado! When I moved back home (IL) I loved opening my windows in late summer and drifted to sleep with them buzzing. Odd, I know. They can get overwhelmingly loud though!

As for ideas- I always thought it'd be cool to string them together and hang them for Halloween, or on a mantle or wall or Christmas tree if you want to be really strange. Like stringing popcorn, but not... Ooh, I bet you could insert Christmas lights into the holes in the shells and have light up bugs!

Or use resin and put them in ice cube trays for bug cubes...

Put them in someones bed for a crunchy surprise.

Put them in a cereal box for a morning treat- can you picture the look on their face when cicada shells pour into their cereal bowl? (April 1st is coming up)

OK, I'm done with the weirdness for now. But I may come up with more ideas later. You've got my brain going. Scary.
I'm gonna have to do some shell collecting this fall... I want a cicada garland now.

Oh boy,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009 11:24:08 PM »

EWWWWW!!!

You said the weirder the better.  I would cast some into bronze.  I bet they would look rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liath Black
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009 12:58:21 AM »

i love the sound they make but...um..i don tlike bug so i would faint if i ever open a box and find a bunch of their shells.
still..i like th eidea of turning them into..well..little artistic pieces

THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009 02:13:47 AM »

Oh jeez that's a frightful package. I thought they were roaches at first and had to force myself to read the text.

I like the bug cubes idea Smiley

If they are heavy at all you could put them in a plastic ball to make a creepy rattle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lana Del Rey: Steal Her Style
Boyfriend Style Hijack!
Kardashian Style Klash: Kim Vs Kendall 2013
The Style Sins of Paris Hilton
Different Celeb Same Dress: Kyle Minogue, Nicki Minaj and JLaw
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...