A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirts, skirts, skirts! Indian inspired + others  (Read 9850 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , plaid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mystico_tala
« on: March 13, 2009 08:33:44 PM »

Hey!  Haven't posted my projects on Craftster in AGES.  Finished a couple skirts since my last post on skirts (other Indian inspired ones), most were finished MONTHS ago.  But since I'm a slacker, they unfortunately all get piled together in one post...

A teal Indian inspired skirt.  Probably my favourite.  I took the border print from the side not on the bottom (obviously) and used it for the waistband.  A couple darts on the sides and the one in the front above the pleats, both to have it curve around me (since I was dealing with a straight piece of fabric) and because I wanted the front to mimic a sari.  I like the way it turned out Smiley

(Sorry for the stomach baring pic!  Only ones I had!)
Another Indian inspired one, well, at least the fabric.  I had very little fabric to work with so I made my own pattern.  After a few incarnations, this is what was produced.  It is a straight skirt, unlike any of my others.  But hey, it is at least interesting, right?  The orange fabric underneath is attached to a lining (the orange fabric doesn't go all the way up, didn't have enough) and the top is, well, just on top of it, at an angle, and free on the point where the skirt is slit so I can walk.  The darts in the back had the interesting effect of giving the skirt a little mini bustle effect.  It ended up draping mostly the way I wanted, so it'll be a success if I ever bring myself to wear it out Tongue
A few more pics to give you a better idea of the design

Red tiered skirt out of peachskin fabric (fantastic stuff!)  The plaid skirt is a wrap around from this POA skirt tut.  Next is just a basic 6 paneled skirt. And last is a tulip skirt from one a Burda magazine, closeup to show the folding detail.  I had trouble with this one, getting it to lay right and not bubble out on me.  Could be because I never liked tulip skirts, I don't really know what possessed me to make it, but I like the way it turned out!

That's it for now!~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
michellesangel
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009 09:27:22 PM »

wow you have been busy, even to do all this "in a few months" is fabulous! i love the unusual shapes on the orange skirt, and the tulip skirt is very pretty though my tummy would never pull it off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plummy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009 11:14:48 PM »

the first two indian inspired skirts are SO CUTE!  i really really like them, kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009 08:25:01 AM »

I love the indian-inspired skirts, especially the orange one.  You should make some cholis (midriff tops) to wear with them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009 09:42:01 AM »

Ha, I knew immediately that the red one is from a burda magazine. Have been thinking about making it myself. Wink

I love the paneled skirt! Did you have a pattern or just made it yourself? I made skirts with six panels before, but always longer, down to the ankles. I like this length a lot better, and the flowyness is so nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
stringofpearls
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009 01:05:19 PM »

Ooh! I have the perfect material to make one of the six paneled ones. You've inspired me:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009 03:59:23 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I don't think I could pull of mid driff tops with those Indian skirts, but its really one of the few things that you can wear with them.  It's hard to find shirts that look good!  And hey, I'm moving near a beach, maybe I could pull it off Smiley

The 6 panelled skirt was Simplicity 5914.  I'd probably recommend looking at the other pattern companies for a different pattern though.  This one sits up really high on the waist, which I ended up changing, and uses the same pattern pieces for the front and back of the skirt which, I don't know about the rest of you, but my back end is a lot bigger than the front of me.  The panels on the front have to be flattened out to more straight lines towards the top or it would look a little awkward.  Just, fyi Smiley  You could definitely get a lot of wear out of this kind of skirt though!  Very good to have in the wardrobe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
zlimone
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009 05:26:34 PM »

Wow! Those are all so gorgeeeeeooouuussss!  Kiss

I love the long ones especially, but long skirts and me don't get a long, teehee. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009 06:20:29 PM »

lol @ the panels being the same in the back and in the front. there would be ONE advantage of having quite a belly, finally! Wink
I guess you could always use one of those chalk skirt markers to make it even before hemming anyway Wink glad I got one on ebay so cheap Cheesy

ETA: Oh and thanks for linking the pattern!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009 06:20:59 PM by KeTing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009 03:50:17 AM »

I LUUURRRVE the orange one, how original! I would love one like that for bellydancing in! (and hey, i think I have similar fabric... hmm.... *feels inspired*)

And that biscuit coloured one is awesome - such a cute cut! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crown Braid Hair Tutorial
A Woman’s First Haircut in Nearly 30 Years
How to Give Your Hair Volume
DIY Leave-In Conditioner
How To Achieve Bouncy Waves with Cesar Ramirez
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...