A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Prayer for the Just Born (Lots of Super Pictures!)  (Read 2227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2009 08:17:57 PM »

This is the painting I did for my midterm.  The canvas is 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide I even made the stretcher bars.  The painting was done in acrylics but there is also embroidery, sequins, piped paint, faux fur, Swarovski Crystals, and piped glitter.  I spent over 120 hours on her and I am really happy with the results.  There are a few things I want to fix but we need a break from each other.  I traditionally create sculpture but with in the last year I have found myself enjoying another medium.  Because of my sculpture background I think I am more inclined to do other stuff than paint on my canvas.  I am really happy she is done and I know everyone here can appreciate all the hand work I did to her. 

I am not totally happy with her beard.  I am thinking about taking a needle felting class to make a better one.

A close up of her tattoo.  (The black dots are stray black glitter.) You can also see her french knot bra!

Here is the corona, it was made by piping gold paint.  I used a star tip in the pastry bag.  I love the texture it makes.  You can also see her wonky hand, it is something I am going to fix.

Her guarder belts are all 4 strand french knots.  Her fishnets are also embroidered. 

This banana has 1600 sequins!  I used a head pin, a clear yellow seed bead, and a lime sequins.  I put heavy gel medium on the back of the canvas to "glue" them into place.  This took 10 times longer than I planned.  The ends of the banana are black rhinestones.  Her shoes are black glitter mixed with medium to give them demention.  I added another layer of black glitter on top of the wet glitter.

The outer border of the corona was archived with glitter mixed with gel medium.  I used a larger star tip than the gold corona.  I stenciled on each peep and then  added the glitter to simulate sugar.  I mixed the purple glitter with more heavy medium and piped it to outline the peeps.

I edged the border of my canvas with sparkly magenta, lime green ric rac, and mirror circles.

I hope ya'll love her as much as I do!  Sorry about the bad lighting, I had to take pictures in the back room of the painting lab.  Any comments and criticism are totally welcome!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009 12:01:56 AM by eye.heart.art » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
CrazyCristyC

http://tossedcookies.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009 08:22:59 PM »

Freaking love this!  And I don't just comment very often...  Maybe the hand is a little wonky, but the facial expression, the detail, the beard, everything is perfect.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009 08:29:55 PM »

Freaking love this!  And I don't just comment very often...  Maybe the hand is a little wonky, but the facial expression, the detail, the beard, everything is perfect.  Nice job!

Thank you!  I know I will be able to fix her hand.  I am happy you love her too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009 08:27:31 AM »

I am curious about your thought behind your work. What does she represent to you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009 03:31:55 PM »

Wow... Pretty brave of you to make a piece that blaspheme. 

Why do you feel this way?

I am curious about your thought behind your work. What does she represent to you?

I hate to do this but, what does she says to you?  I am interested in what other people think about my work without the filter of my thoughts first.  I know art can be different things to different people.  I have spent a lot of time with her and she means a lot of different things to me.  But what are your thoughts?  Don't worry if you feel negatively towards her or need to criticize.  I won't be offended.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009 03:33:49 PM by eye.heart.art » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 10:06:17 AM »

Weeeelll SINCE you asked..... Cheesy I need to start out by saying the work you put into this piece shines through and the stitching and the details on it are wonderful. That being said....
Mary in this form to me has always represented the sacred feminine aspect. We could talk for hours on the symbolics behind it and the history of the typical Madonna in this form.
When I look at your piece my first thought is that you did it for shock value. Which I "Personally" have a bit of a problem with.
Now my life and art teacher for years has said art is meant to invoke emotion so even disdain, anger, or angst would be a hit. Not that I have experienced all of those emotions from this piece.
So all of these thoughts are what made me ask YOU what you were thinking when doing this piece. Not from a judgmental place mind you, from a strictly curious place. I would love to hear that you did not put all of this work into your piece just to shock people and make them suck in their breath and not THINK about something as they walked away.
However the title makes me think that there was thinking behind the project so maybe it is a representation of a prayer for the new come souls to not take religion so seriously.
I have to say I do deeply admire your hootspah. With all of the goddess lovers and Mary lovers on this site you are indeed a brave woman.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009 12:32:32 PM by Tero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
knowthetrees

because the dirt is temporary

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009 12:21:58 PM »

I like the way it makes me feel actually. The whole idea of gender being upset in some way, the space in between being honored.

What's really uncomfortable for some people may be comforting to others.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009 12:22:42 PM by knowthetrees » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009 02:19:25 PM »

i love this. i disagree with this being 'utterly blasphemous' as some seem to think...and technically, Mary is not covered under blasphemy, especially in the Bible. there, only speaking against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable.

my friend loves it! we have an unhealthy obsession with peeps anyway. Wink she wants to put it in the living room under a spotlight! (so...uh...if you wanna sell it....Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009 07:51:58 PM »

Thanks for your input Tero!  This piece has developed from a purely ascetic composition to something that has a deeper meaning to me.  The original assignment was to take 2-3 images and combine them together.  I chose Peeps and a prayer card featuring An Our Lady.  As I spent more time with her she began to develop the sexy attire and finally the beard.  I am glad she has shocking quality.  I see a lot of people look at a piece of art for 3 seconds and move on.  I feel having my pieces have a buzz when one looks at them at first challenges a viewer to stay longer to look at it and hopefully examine why they feel that way.

I am very aware of the the symbolism that goes along with Mary, I am still processing my 13 years of Catholic schooling.  She has always been an excellent example of a strong female.  As I got older, a woman who was in control of her body became a source of internal inspiration.  Currently I am finding inspiration from women who aren't typically defined as ideal.  Women how have large bodies, women with facial hair, trans women, etc...  The women I know who fall into these categories have taught me a lot about accepting and embracing my whole self.  Viewing these differences as sexy, attractive, desirable, and a power source gives me the confidence to be unique and choose my own beauty standards.

I hope this explains a little more from where I am coming from.  I am not feeling well and I am having a hard time explaining myself.  If you have any other question or clarifications about her I am more than happy to answer them! 

The whole idea of gender being upset in some way...

I have lots of questions about gender, mostly because I really don't understand why it is so important.  I really like duality of a traditional female with a traditionally male aspect.  I still think she is sexy when she is totally rockin' her beard!  I am glad you like her duality too. 

my friend loves it! we have an unhealthy obsession with peeps anyway. Wink she wants to put it in the living room under a spotlight! (so...uh...if you wanna sell it....Wink)

I also love Peeps.  I have a package that is unopened and 5 years old. They are a bit color faded but still squishy!  She is for sale but because of the hours behind it she real pricey.  I am trying to get her into a few showing before I have to depart with her.  You can make your own if you have 120+ hours to spare.  *hee hee*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009 01:08:11 AM by eye.heart.art » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009 09:20:14 PM »

I love her!

This is one of those weird and wonderful things that makes me smile. I don't know, I don't see it as being blasphemous at all... it looks like a celebration on canvas.

I once saw a documentary on women with beards and I was quite surprised at how much they loved their facial hair. It was awesome to hear people talking about parts of themselves, that although quite unconventional, were deeply meaningful and important to them. It was so lovely to hear those women talking about the pride they had in their beards. I've never thought of bearded ladies the same way since Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Your Highlights At Home
Celebrities Hair Stylist Ted Gibson Interview
Hair Style- Ted Gibson- Lela Rose- Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair at Betsey Johnson - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair Style at DKNY - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...