A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skirt idea...but how to make it?  (Read 832 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancecrafter

the snack that smiles back...!

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2009 01:28:39 AM »

So, I've had this idea floating around in my head for about a year now, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it.  Hopefully some of you sewing geniuses out there can help me.

The idea is that the top and bottom hem are parallel (to each other and the floor), but at the seam between the yoke and the skirt-y part, there is an asymmetrical line.  Here's my really bad paint picture (I have much better hand-drawings, but no scanner Sad).

The spots on the sides are buttons, mostly just because I like buttons.  I was thinking about doing a circle skirt for the skirt part (I want it to be something twirly), but if a different style would be easier, that works too.  I think my main issue is figuring out how to get the circumference right at the top of the skirt part, and making the bottom of the skirt lay straight.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/pattern suggestions on how to do this.  I have been searching but I have yet to find a pattern with this skirt line (only asymmetrical bottoms). Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 01:21:59 PM »

If you make the skirt a-line I think it might work to first draw a pattern for a normal a-line skirt and then splitting the pattern in a yoke and the rest of the skirt. However it would still be an a-line skirt, it wouldn't be more fitted where the yoke is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 08:23:02 AM »

Have you looked through Vogue patterns? Particularly the Designer dresses. You don't have to buy it to go look at the instruction page in a store to see how the pattern pieces are shaped Wink There is almost always at least one dress of some sort with asymmetrical seaming across the body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecrafter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 04:47:18 PM »

thanks for the suggestions. I'll try looking again to see if i can find a dress or something with that sort of line (I've really only looked at skirts so far,  I didn't even think to look at dresses!).  If that doesn't work, I'll try the A-line skirt idea. I know I have a pattern for a skirt somewhere around here, so maybe I can make use of that.  thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerri_Da
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 01:43:31 AM »

I have a skirt like this, It is basically an A line skirt with a seam just like in your drawing.

Maybe that's somewhere to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 07:32:40 PM »

If you want to do a full circle, you have to place the inside circle off center.
Make the yoke part first. Measure the diagonal part, this is the circumference of your inside circle. C=pi*r^2
Now, measure the length you want your skirt from the top of the yoke down.

The long side will go with the short side of the yoke and the short side will go with the long side of the yoke.
The whole radius of the big circle is (both sides + the diameter of the inner circle)/2
Then, once you have the big circle cut out, fold it in half and measure from each side the length of the skirt + seam allowances and mark. Fold the fabric so that these two marks are together and cut a curve out to make the inner circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carillia
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 07:45:38 AM »

This is very easy to do if you have a basic straight skirt pattern, preferrably without yoke, available (or you can draft one, it's not that hard).

If it has darts in the waist, draw a line from the point of the yoke to the bottom of the skirt, cut, and move the two pieces so that the dart is closed and you get an open "triangle" from the tip of the old dart. Ignore that the open triangle is there, cover it up with paper if it gets confusing. (Here's a link to illustrate this step if it helps ) Also, since it's assymetrical it's probably a good idea to draw out a full pattern piece, not with  a "place on fold"-line in the middle like most patterns will have you do. (Just place it on a big piece of paper, draw, turn it over so the pattern fold-line meets the newly drawn fold-line and draw around the pattern piece again) Do the same to both the front and back piece. You now have two whole, dartless pieces. Draw the yoke the way you want it, remember to match up the front and back pieces. Cut, and remember to add seam allowances where you cut.

Now, if you want the bottom piece to be circle skirt-y, you use the same slash-and-spread technique as you used when you closed the waist dart. Draw lines from the yoke seam to the bottom of the skirt, cut and spread out the pieces so they still connect at the top but the bottom is spread out. Do this at several places, you want the "cracks" at the top to be evenly distributed to make the skirt fall smootly. Tape/glue paper to cover the open spaces that have formed, or trace around it on a new piece of paper, and you have your complete pieces. (And another link to illustrate the slash-and-spread. Look at how they make godet-pieces in the drawings, it's the same principle)

I don't know how much experience you have with patterns, so I'm sorry if I was being overly detailed, but I think it's better to be detailed just in case Smiley

Good luck with the skirt!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 07:50:20 AM by Carillia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecrafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009 12:05:26 AM »

thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! people here are so helpful. Smiley I'm totally busy with the end of the quarter coming up, but I'm gonna try to mess around with this over spring break and finally make this skirt!  Roll Eyes

Thanks again for all the help, I'll let you know if/when I finally get it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Pepper Crusted New York Steak
How to Cook White Beans
How to Make Cheese Souffle
How to make Salmon 1-2-3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...