A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Mounted Silhouette Art from a Photo (w/ Tutorial)  (Read 9276 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coreymarie

http://www.thehipstersguide.com

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2009 08:22:50 AM »

Who do you think you’re kidding with those bare walls?  Seriously, did you even read the article I wrote about framing your photos?  I know it’s a recession and you don’t have money for art.  So let’s make some.

Don’t give me any excuses about not being an artist!  You’ve read this far, so you’re at least slightly creative, and we’re going to break all the rules today and TRACE some photos today to make art.  (It’s fun to break the rules, once in a while.)

Of course, it’s only right that I interject here to say that it’s one thing to trace someone’s photographs to make art that hangs on your own wall, but not to make art to sell.  Some flickr users allow their photos to be used under the creative commons license.  When in doubt, email the photographer and ask permission, or use your own photographs as a starting point.

Supplies:
  • Computer
  • Printer
  • Photoshop or similar (optional, but helpful)
  • Clear tape
  • Masking tape (optional)
  • Paint pen in any color.  I like a chisel tip.
  • 8” x 10” canvas
  • Staple gun
  • Thin cotton fabric
  • Day light and a window (the poor man’s light box)

You can choose any color or pattern fabric that you like, but a subtle, mostly monotone (one color) pattern will probably work best.  A “fat quarter” will give you more than enough fabric.

First, we need an image.  Use google image search or search on flickr.com for your subject.  It may help to include the word “silhouette” with your search term.  A simple, clear silhouette of a single object will work best for this project.

In Photoshop, enlarge the photo to an entire 8.5” x 11” page.  It doesn’t matter if the picture gets a little fuzzy when you do.  In the Filter menu, select Stylize and then Find Edges.  This should give you a coloring book style outline of the silhouette.  Print this page.

What if I don’t have Photoshop?
You need an outline version of your image, and it will need to fill an 8.5” x 11” page.  Another way to achieve this is to use a photocopier to blow up the image, then trace the outlines of that image by hand onto another sheet of paper.

Cut your fabric to about 12” x 14” and iron out any wrinkles.

Now it’s time to trace!  Place four pieces of tape on the wrong side of your paper.  Lay the paper (tape and design side up) on your work surface, and center your fabric on the paper, taping the two together.  Now, tape the fabric to your window, making sure the fabric is smooth.

Begin to trace the outlines onto the fabric with the paint pen.  Don’t worry about filling in areas yet, just trace the whole image onto the fabric.  When you’ve gotten the image traced, pull the tape and the paper off.

Place your fabric design-side down on your work surface.  You'll probably be able to see the paint pen through the back of the fabric.  Line up your canvas so that it’s centered on the fabric.

The design that I used would still look OK if it were slightly crooked, so I went right to stapling.  If your design absolutely must be straight, use masking tape to stretch the fabric over the canvas, and then check out how it looks before you staple.

Staple two sides of the fabric into the wood back of the canvas.  The fabric should be taut, but not pulling where you have stapled it.  Fold the third and fourth sides as though you were wrapping a present, and staple these as well.  Trim excess fabric.  Optionally, cover the edges of the fabric with masking tape.

Now turn your canvas back over and use the paint pen to fill in your design.  If your design goes all the way to the edge, continue the design so it, too, wraps around.  You may have to fake it a little bit, (I know, I know, you’re not an artist!) but you’re just drawing lines.

Finally, sign your name to your work of art, and hang that baby up!

Check out these flickr groups for great silhouettes:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/natures_silhouettes/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/silhouettesinbw/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/birdsilhouettes/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 04:38:37 PM by kittykill - Reason: To comply with Craftster's guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

peasoupsays
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009 09:27:23 AM »

This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009 10:34:09 AM »

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009 01:00:02 PM »

I love silhouette art, and this is my first "this rocks". I think this is easy and artfully done. Love it. Thank you for this tutorial. Terri
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009 01:57:32 PM »

neat idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
cute_anarchy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009 02:30:32 PM »

Very cool!  Thank you for sharing the tutorial too, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.  And congrats on un-lurking Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
TapirGirl
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009 05:41:29 AM »

Very beautiful!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coreymarie

http://www.thehipstersguide.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009 07:42:29 AM »

Thanks, everyone!  Glad you've enjoyed it!  Post pictures if you give it a try! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009 06:33:30 AM »

Awesome idea, and great result.  Definitely something I'll be trying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Jessafurr
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009 03:51:08 PM »

Ooooooo I like this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
How to Fold an Origami Cat and Broomstick
How to Fold an Origami Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Millennium Falcon
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...