A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk goggles (5 high res pics)  (Read 4204 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seraphreak
« on: March 12, 2009 12:19:25 AM »

As per a recommendation from a friend, I am posting this project here. She informed me that there are indeed steampunk minded individuals here and that they might enjoy this project that I undertook on a whim over my winter break from school (December of last year). Keep in mind that the only power tool I used on this project was a drill. Wink

I mostly used materials that can be found in a do it yourself store such as Lowes or Home Depot and Jo-ann Fabrics.

The base was a 1 1/4" pipe coupling that I found at home depot which was cut with a hacksaw into 2 pieces. After that, I drilled two holes on each side of each eye cup.

I covered them both with vinyl that I bought at Jo-ann's. I'm not going to lie, and I'm sure that most of you will be somewhat startled by this, but I somewhat eyeballed it when it came to sizing/gluing/sewing the eye cups on. I made sure to put holes in the vinyl where I wanted the nose piece/strap connecters to go.

After that was all dried/sewn in (I used 2 ton epoxy that I got at Walmart (it's overkill, I know)) I fashioned 4 small semi-circles that fit nicely into the holes I had drilled out of bronze brazing rod. After epoxying this (most annoying step) I wound silver wire around the nose piece and made sure it was secure.

Then it was time to make the strap. Again, I kinda eyeballed this part and because I don't have a sewing machine available to me (until as of last week) I hand sewed the strap (not before reinforcing it with a layer of superglue and gorilla glue). The strap is simply scrap vinyl that I triple folded over. I cut small holes in each end of the strap and fitted them over the brazing rod loops on each end. I secure it with some various hardware I got from home depot. (that way the strap is easily removed whenever I get around to making a better more uniform strap).

Great thing about the coupling, is that you can purchase (or they come with) caps for the ends of them which allow just enough room for a glass layer (what's the point of goggles if they don't protect your eyeballs?).

I bought a spare sheet of glass from home depot and painstakingly hand cut it (not recommended, I had shards of glass in my hands for two days after the project was done).

I took the caps and spray painted them (I have no artistic skills, perhaps in the future I'll redo them if I somehow grow some art abilities in the way of rustic painting).

But here are pictures of the products of my labor:

If I get a large demand for it, I suppose I could probably make a step by step guide. But that's up to how much you all like/hate them.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yosabra
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009 12:25:11 AM »

Wow!  Those are amazing!!  Love your stitching.  Any chance of a picture with you wearing them?

And also... yes please tute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phantasmafreud
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009 12:34:12 AM »

Ooooo!!! Great job! I've always wanted to make anything steampunk, but alas don't have much tool knowledge. I don't know whether to second the tute desire, or if that would be rude. If you do post one that would be awesome, if not I will be content to admire. Grin Thanks either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le Mieux
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009 02:14:41 AM »

oh my god!! i cant believe you hand-cut glass!! (ive never done anything to do with glass, so this sounds mecca-hardcore to me  Cheesy ) these are a proper labour of love and it shows - they're awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
lilymaid7
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009 06:13:10 AM »

Those are lovely.  The handsewing looks very nice on them, actually.

I agree, if you don't mind putting up instructions, they would be most welcome.  I could probably use a pair.  Although I might be a little less cool than you and skip the glass cutting part since that sound rather unpleasant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seraphreak
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009 09:03:01 AM »

Wow!  Those are amazing!!  Love your stitching.  Any chance of a picture with you wearing them?

And also... yes please tute! 

Dually noted. I'll go out and get materials so that I can take pictures step by step within the next week or so. :-D

Ooooo!!! Great job! I've always wanted to make anything steampunk, but alas don't have much tool knowledge. I don't know whether to second the tute desire, or if that would be rude. If you do post one that would be awesome, if not I will be content to admire. Grin Thanks either way!

That's the fun though. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to making anything. I have no sewing skills, I have very very little tool skills. Which is why I opted for my "make it up as you go" stylistic and design choices. That way, I could adjust the plan if I didn't know how to do something.

oh my god!! i cant believe you hand-cut glass!! (ive never done anything to do with glass, so this sounds mecca-hardcore to me  Cheesy ) these are a proper labour of love and it shows - they're awesome!!

Hardcore? no no... more like suckcore. haha, Since I've never cut glass before I opted to do it the incredibly difficult/newbie-ish way. :-P If I make another pair, I'll probably opt for a few changes, have the glass cut by someone with  more skill than I, probably have a machinist make the brazing rod loops to have a more clean fit.

Those are lovely.  The handsewing looks very nice on them, actually.

I agree, if you don't mind putting up instructions, they would be most welcome.  I could probably use a pair.  Although I might be a little less cool than you and skip the glass cutting part since that sound rather unpleasant.

Also noted. Hopefully this time if I make a new set, I won't make such a mess with epoxy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tkyro57
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009 10:27:45 AM »

These are beautiful! A tute would be most appreciated and amazing. Steampunk is awesome =D

(I am in love with the stitched details!)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009 10:39:05 AM by tkyro57 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommamoonbeam
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009 05:09:15 PM »

i've seen some goggle tutorials, but i like yours better than most of the others i've seen i'd love to see the tutorial and see what you do differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ibexamber
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009 08:07:46 AM »

These are really really stunning!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...