A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract *UPDATE*  (Read 28186 times)
Tags for this thread: vanilla , recipe , recipe_link , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phreed
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012 01:07:38 PM »

IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO VODKA FOR MAKING THE VANILLA?Huh
and
DOES IT HAVE TO BE ALCOHOL BASED?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an Awesome Creative Day!!!
Peggytoes 
http://peggytoesdesigns.blogspot.com/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012 01:08:33 PM »

Yum yum yum!  I made this a few years ago as holiday gifts.  I used a combination of rum (a bit sweeter!) and vodka.

Featured this in today's Craftster Project of the Week email.  Thanks again for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012 01:10:59 PM »

This is awesome!  Definitely going to start making a batch this weekend.  My family will love it!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepergirl
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012 02:31:48 PM »

i can't wait to try this.  i just got my supplies on amazon.  these will make fantastic gifts for my baking friends (and for myself!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012 02:46:12 PM »

hummm - got some vodka in the cupboard, just need the vanilla pods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wisfritz4
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012 03:03:18 PM »

Regarding a few of your comments:

Some of your questions will be answered here: http://tipnut.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

The "crystals" you mention should NOT be strained...
From the link..."There is white stuff coming out of the bean that I have in a bottle of extract, is this mold? Its highly unlikely that its moldy, but that white stuff youre seeing is not an illusionits likely vanillin that youre seeing oozing out, this is a sign of good quality! On cured pods of high quality, relatively pure vanillin may be visible as a white dust or frost on the exterior of the pod. See Wikipedia.org for more info."

I followed the tutorial, and made 2 bottles, 1 liter each of vanilla extract in Dec 2011. As of Sept 26, 2012, it is fully ready. I keep it in a dark cupboard. I used
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisfritz4
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012 03:10:54 PM »

Must be made in alcohol. That is a "sterile" liquid that keeps it from molding. The alcohol burns off when you cook.

***See this for MUCH MORE COMPLETE INFORMATION that I followed (not my blog)
http://tipnut.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

I made mine at the past Christmas. I have 1.5 liters of vanilla extract. That is about 6 cups. At Penzey's spices, They sell  a one cup bottle for $40.00. I spent $20 on the Everclear (thinned 50% with distilled water) and $20 for the Madagascar beans, vacuum packed from a MI company. Check out the blog above. It will answer all your questions.
Johanna in WI
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moondustdesigns
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012 03:20:49 PM »

Hints from Heloise has a similar recipe, but she has you putting just 2 vanilla beans in a liter of vodka or rum.

I bought a bottle of rum when I made Hot Toddy's for a bad cough I was having (which worked better than the cough medicine on the market) and I have a ton left...im gonna use the rum to make this vanilla...looks like there you get more out of this recipe than Heloise's and you can give the little bottle as gifts instead of keeping a big bottle for your self especially if you dont bake alot...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012 08:59:51 PM »

Hi everyone! It's been a while.  Grin

Hints from Heloise has a similar recipe, but she has you putting just 2 vanilla beans in a liter of vodka or rum.

That's basically how I do it now since my gift-giving is over! Though I just kept adding vanilla beans into the liter as the taste began to weaken, so I can't say how many I had in there last! But it's still the same basic principle--cut the bean in half, give it a shake, let it sit, and enjoy. Grin

IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO VODKA FOR MAKING THE VANILLA?Huh
and
DOES IT HAVE TO BE ALCOHOL BASED?

It doesn't have to be vodka, you can use any type of liquor with a high level of alcohol, like brandy. But, yes, it does have to be alcohol based. (Store-bought vanilla extract is ethyl alcohol based.) The alcohol will dissipate when you heat it, as in in an oven. I usually recommend vodka because it's a neutral taste, but you can get interesting flavors if you try other types!

Featured this in today's Craftster Project of the Week email.  Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you! Smiley

Just some random reiterations and musings: I've been doing this for a while now and have never ended up with any mistakes or bad batches or anything like that. Important things to remember is that it CAN mold, so make sure not to refrigerate the vanilla. Bean specks and "floaties" and the pods and fibers and things like that are completely harmless. It just happens when you cut the pods in half and give them a few shakes. Wink (And, really, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing those little bean specks when you make your own vanilla ice cream!) And you can save the pods in the vodka and simply refill the vodka to keep it full (once it has set for the minimum amount of time, the flavor is not harmed if you decide to top it off!), but of course the taste will weaken if you never add new pods. Tongue

It's amazing how there are so many things that are far easier to do than you would expect when it comes to baking--vanilla, powdered sugar, brown sugar... it's easier, cheaper, better, and tastier doing it yourself! ...and it impresses your friends. Wink

I hope this is working well for everyone!! Have a fabulous day.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012 09:10:52 PM by cassiege » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
Ts
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012 09:24:00 PM »

OMG! That's amazing!! Cheesy

I've just received this recipe on the e-mail and totally loved it!

I live in Brasil, and around here the vanilla extract isn't expensive at all ( +/- 2 dollars), but I'm just sure that the homemade stuff has SO much flavour on it and only the vanilla, without the corn stuff and conservant. Tomorrow I'm going downtown and totally buying the cute bottles and vanilla, and another one for the sugar recipe that made me even smell it by reading those wonderfull tips you gave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Kennedy Talks About Leaving the World
Rachel Kushner Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Grabbing at Water Book Trailer
Clockwork Angel Book Trailer
Meet Noveslit Ivo Stourton
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...