A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract *UPDATE*  (Read 28143 times)
Tags for this thread: vanilla , recipe , recipe_link , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kevin-DiyDork
Diy Dork Tutorials

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2010 07:44:30 AM »

I never thought making vanilla extract was something you could do at home. Guess I was wrong. haha  This looks like a cool project to tackle in the future. hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diy Dork Tutori-O's - My step-by-step, project tutorials & videos

Newest one: 5 Cool Recycled Paper Christmas Crafts
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2010 02:00:58 PM »

3 days and already the vodka is turning brown. Can't wait.

I'm sure it'll go splendidly, it's looking great!!

I never knew you could do this either, I always figured there was some crazy major process to be done to make extract....I'm am definitely going to give this a try :-)
I never thought making vanilla extract was something you could do at home. Guess I was wrong. haha  This looks like a cool project to tackle in the future. hmmm...
That's exactly what I thought, too, before I made it. I always thought it must be difficult for as much as I pay for it. But, now I'm never buying vanilla from the store again! Just as long as I remember to keep the vodka full... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
ntrebleagain

I see no good reason to act my age.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010 06:19:45 AM »

I made these for Christmas this year and they went over fabulously! Paired them with a layered cookie mix in a jar and placed them both in a Christmas basket. Thanks for the idea!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paintednightsky
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011 03:31:40 PM »

Sounds interesting as I love vanilla.  I found a 16 oz bottle of pure vanilla mccormick for only 6 bucks at sams club which is cheaper yet and will take awhile to use up  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmiller614
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011 11:27:50 AM »

This is definitely going to be a christmas gift for my friends and family next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeeJayRose
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011 09:38:48 PM »

I should do this and something else for Christmas next year. That's a good idea. This year I did baskets of baked goods so this is right up my alley. Smiley

I can't wait to make vanilla extract...and vanilla sugar...and then use it to make vanilla syrup. Smiley Perfect set for a coffee lover. Tongue AKA my boyfriend...and his dad...hmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lieblings

Fishes Need Kisses!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011 08:49:03 AM »

This looks so amazing! I can't wait to try it out. My mom bought a bunch of really cheap vanilla on her trip to Jamaica so this is perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plaidpineapple
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2011 11:48:26 AM »

I made homemade vanilla with this method and love it.  I left it in storage (shaking one a week) for 3 months before I first used it.  I love it, much better than imitation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leadmomma
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011 06:31:17 PM »

I did this for Christmas this year too -- I used mid-grade vodka - it worked well (but I am not an expert) I also didn't filter it -- thinking that any vanilla specks would just make it more flavorful.
People loved it - I got the bottles at a local food co-op - they ordered them by the case for me and did cost +10%, so it was a deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011 07:05:12 PM »

Just an FYI...I make my own vanilla also, have for years.  The type of vanilla bean makes a big difference.  Madascar vanilla beans are the highest you can buy, and make fantastic vanilla. It takes 3 months to fully develop, so be patient.  You can, at any time replenish the vodka or brandy/vodka mixture in your bottle with the beans and use it right away.  You should also store your vanilla in a dark bottle, as light does affect it's longevity.  You can purchase brown bottles on line at home brewing shops.  Try it, really...you'll never buy vanilla again. 

Oh...almost forgot...don't remove the seeds, they lend a very distinct taste and look to your recipes. A perk that you don't get from your store bought vanilla.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Nautical Style
What to Wear on Date Night
Fall Denim Trends
How to Get the Rihanna Style
Why Women Hate Strapless Bras
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...