A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract *UPDATE*  (Read 26156 times)
Tags for this thread: vanilla , recipe , recipe_link , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010 12:11:13 AM »

Wow, thank you so much for making this post a part of the Craftster Best of 2009! I never would have expected that. I'm quite honored. Grin

And I'm very pleased that I was able to share information that could help people. It's a shame vanilla extract is so expensive--this should certainly be remedied for the good of baked goods and their consumers! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010 05:12:54 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing it here!

I actually made it as holiday gifts for family and mr.sweet's coworkers this year.  It was a HUGE hit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Crazy_4_Crafts
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010 11:04:42 PM »

I've been making my own vanilla for about a year now, and it's definitely the way to go.  Costco occasionally sells vanilla beans SUPER cheap (about 9 beans for $12!) so I stock up and go to town on yummy vanilla things.  Here's what I do:

1.  Cut up a bunch of beans and shove them in a small jar.
2.  Fill with vodka and wait.
3.  Because I have so many beans, I shove others in a big bottle of vodka to kind of 'prep'.  I even put used beans in here after I've made something, because the pods still have so much flavor and fragrance.
4.  I use the 'prep' vodka that has some of the beans in it to top off my little "every day use" vanilla bottle.

Everything I've read suggests that the cheaper vodka, the better.  Smiley  (Great news for all of us cheaper bakers!  Wink )

I would definitely not strain the bottles though!  The little flakes are beans and part of the pods and they make desserts SO flavorful!  When I'm making something like creme brulee or ice cream, I want as many vanilla flecks as possible, so shake it up really hard before I pour.  And it's what makes it "homemade", I think.

My other absolute favorite use for beans is making vanilla sugar.  I use spent pods and just keep them in our coffee sugar container.  My hubby thinks that vanilla sugar in his coffee is the best thing ever.  Last year I gave vanilla sugar (with the beans still in) to all my coffee drinking friends for Christmas.  The best part is, just keep topping off the containers with sugar and the beans will keep giving off fragrance/flavor!  I've had some beans in the sugar for a year now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010 12:33:40 AM »

Hmmm...cool.  I might have to get my mom to try that.

I'm a fan of the CostCo sized bottle of vanilla. That's good stuff.  My grandparents used to go down to Texas every January, and they'd bring back a HUGE bottle of Mexican Vanilla.  SO GOOD!

And isn't there like Vanilla extract and then there's like, vanilla flavoring or something.  I dunno.  I guess there's Pure Vanilla Extract and then there's Vanilla extract.  Which I think that just plain old Vanilla extract has corn syrup in it, unlike Pure Vanilla Extract.  Hmmm...guess I'll have to look that up.

Anyways, that looks like fun.  I might have to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
PentapodMonster
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010 11:41:10 AM »

I am a chemistry nerd, and while I'm sure no one else really cares, the polyphenol is from the alcohol. Anything chemistry related that ends in "-ol" is a type of alcohol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaityBear
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2010 11:50:06 AM »

I'm thinking I should definitely try this some day. I tend to do a lot of baking. I never use the real vanilla since it is so darn expensive. But this would be so much fun to try. But...I'll either have to wait until I'm age to buy the vodka Tongue or get my mom to. lol

I like the idea of the vanilla sugar! That would be a neat way to use the beans after you've made the vanilla. Hmm. I'll have to do that, too, I think. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissablair

I like my coffee like I like my men: pale & bitter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010 06:47:13 PM »

Just a note on cheap vodka vs. expensive vodka...

If you look at different liquors in general, and rate their quality on a scale of, say, 1 to 20:
Cheap tequila is at about a 2 or 3, whereas expensive tequila is around 17 to 18. This generally holds true with whiskeys, brandies, and rums (all of which I've used to make vanilla with awesome results)
Vodka, on the other hand, is pretty unique in that a $5 bottle of vodka is around a 9, while a $50 bottle is only around a 12.

Vodka is filtered to remove most of the taste and in the blind taste tests I've done (for I do enjoy a nice Cape Cod every now and then) I've never been able to tell a difference between the cheap stuff and the "good" stuff.
Just thought you guys would want to know! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing on earth more entertaining than watching a pack of half-grown puppies playing in snow for the very first time.

http://www.wists.com/lissablair
Candlesprite7
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010 10:10:45 PM »

I never knew you could do this either, I always figured there was some crazy major process to be done to make extract....I'm am definitely going to give this a try :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010 07:47:11 PM »

I am a chemistry nerd, and while I'm sure no one else really cares, the polyphenol is from the alcohol. Anything chemistry related that ends in "-ol" is a type of alcohol.
Ah! It's been 6 years since I've been in a Chemistry class, but I feel as if I should have remembered this. Wink Thanks for the info!

Just a note on cheap vodka vs. expensive vodka...
Very informative, thank you! That's good to know.

I'm very pleased that so many people are finding this useful and so many people are giving more suggestions and helpful tips to those of us who need them! I can't say enough how awesome you all are! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010 12:34:32 AM »

I finally made my first batch. I've had this bookmarked since you first posted. I never did find cheap bottles so I used a used bottle and made a cups worth. Beans are so expensive here that I'm hoping this comes out okay. (Third bottle of Vodka...wonder where the other two went since hubby and I don't drink it.)
Here goes, we'll see next month. Thank you for posting this.

3 days and already the vodka is turning brown. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010 07:57:23 AM by Jinjeet Phoenix » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon A650 IS: Getting Started
Canon A610/A620: Set White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...