A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
832 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thigh highs (+ tutorial)  (Read 5007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

green_tea_lover
« on: March 11, 2009 09:29:58 AM »

So back in October of last year, I saw some adorable white floral kids' tights at dollar tree and I thought they'd look good with an outfit. So I bought them because I'm of of course a girls 16 Roll Eyes and if they didn't fit hey I could make them into thigh highs. Well turns out they were so so short, and I'm not a size 16 XD so thigh highs they became. I don't think i'd actually figured out how i'd do them until I got home but I did it so it can't be too hard

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/DSCF6243-2.jpg

Tutorial (short version)
cut + attach elastic somehow

Tutorial (long version)
1. cut them right under the crotch (If the tights are your regular size/the right length for you, just cut them lower on the leg)
2. Now try the tights/stockings on and stretch them as high as they will go, It should be mid to upper thigh)
3. Take whatever elastic you are using and stretch it around your thigh, until it's tight but not uncomfortable *if you make it too loose though it will fall down. Do this for both thighs, one thigh might be bigger you never know
4. Mark the elastic with a pin or chalk and add about half an inch. Cut it if your fine with the length
5. Take tights off and turn the tights inside out
6. Fold the top of the tights over and pin them onto the outside.  (the actual inside of the tights) *You are making a casing for the elastic so make sure  it's enough space to run the elastic through*
7. Stretch and sew. I used a zig zag stitch. Leave an opening so you can insert the elastic
8. Now insert the elastic XD
9. Try them on (pulling the elastic around your thigh, your going to need to hold the elastic or it's going to go inside the casing and you'll be annoyed)
     *is it a bit loose on the top? if so mark/cut your elastic so it won't be
     * is it too tight, this is why I said to make sure. You can A. cut another piece of elastic B. Redo the casing lower C. keep it as it is
     * Is it just right? Grin well good job baby bear If so perfect, you are awesomesauce
10. Sew the elastic together and cut off any excess
11. Sew the gap in the fabric closed
12. Turn the tights inside out
13. You are FINISHED. And you have a brand spankin new pair of thigh highs Cheesy

NOW CUTE KIDS' TIGHTS WILL NEVER BE SAFE AGAIN!!  Kiss >D
*Okay if anything doesn't make sense tell me. Also, I know you guys probably don't need such detailed directions ( and could probably figure it out yourselves) but for people like me, who can never figure out tutorials, i thought I'd help.
*Sorry, I don't have pics of the top of the thigh, because here they they just look like regular tights, but I didn't ever think of taking pics of them... also they are kind ugly at the top (*i was handsewng at first) =_=
*I was thinking that using the waistband of the tights might work as well, but it only wrapped around 1 1/2 of my thighs XD
Also, if your making thigh highs I'd suggest sock/thigh high toppers or a garter belt, it's extra insurance they will stay up and they look cuter that way. Kiss Both have tutorials floating around

hopefully this helps someone Cheesy

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/DSCF6242-1.jpg

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012 11:27:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsyforlife
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009 12:16:17 PM »

What a cute idea! I always covet the kiddies' tights, and have never had good luck with trying to make them into socks or thigh-highs- I can't wait to try the casing/elastic method. What fabric were they made out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May your passion be the kernel of corn stuck between your molars, always reminding you there's something to tend to.  ~Jeb Dickerson

New Zealand is the best country in the world.

Blog from the Frozen North: http://paperitual.blogspot.com/
green_tea_lover
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009 01:04:12 PM »

What a cute idea! I always covet the kiddies' tights, and have never had good luck with trying to make them into socks or thigh-highs- I can't wait to try the casing/elastic method. What fabric were they made out of?

Thank you. I know they have such cute ones, and for some reason I can never find cool tights in the women's sections D: Hopefully it works out this time Cheesy were you just leaving them as they were?

The tights? I have no idea what they are made out of. I'm not an expert on fabrics. They're just floral little girl tights. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009 02:45:05 PM »

Those are so cute. I want to steal them from you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
theboythatspins

If you don't knit, you must aquit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009 08:41:12 PM »

OMG... LOVE THIS! eventhough i'm a guy I still love it Cheesy haha, and you pull of the Sweet-Loli style SOOOOO well!!!

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I USED TO BE 007lucious_lips!!!!! I MOVED!

If you're happy and you know it say a swear; Boobs, Hiney, MITTENS!
     www.livejournal.com/users/obscura_lamia
Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama
                     <3Brandonlicious
merlina
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009 09:05:33 PM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Now I can finally do something with the pretty kids' tights I have sitting around uselessly. Smiley Your outfit looks adorable, by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009 10:06:41 AM »

Thanks for sharing, easy-to-follow tute. Now thrift tights can be thigh highs or winter warmers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009 10:10:47 AM »

looks great!
Now why didn't I think of this? lol I've bought kids tights and tried to MAKE them fit lol the result? Disaster and a waste of money and tights.
Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green_tea_lover
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009 02:47:55 PM »

Those are so cute. I want to steal them from you!  Grin

Cry but i want them XD thankfully they only cost less then 1.50 Cheesy

OMG... LOVE THIS! eventhough i'm a guy I still love it Cheesy haha, and you pull of the Sweet-Loli style SOOOOO well!!!

<3
I'm glad, maybe pass the idea to someonelse? XD Thank you very much <3

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Now I can finally do something with the pretty kids' tights I have sitting around uselessly. Smiley Your outfit looks adorable, by the way.

You're welcome Cheesy I'm glad, pretty tights shouldn't have to waste away in a drawer Grin and thank you <3

Thanks for sharing, easy-to-follow tute. Now thrift tights can be thigh highs or winter warmers Smiley
Oh I'm glad it is understandable :] Yes! I want to go thrifting now >3> What are winter warmers though? I googled it and got beer XD though if i could find a way to make tights into beer, I think i'd win an award or something Tongue

looks great!
Now why didn't I think of this? lol I've bought kids tights and tried to MAKE them fit lol the result? Disaster and a waste of money and tights.
Thanks for sharing Smiley
thank you Cheesy
D: that's no fun but at least now if you don't have to waste your money Grin you'll just have awesome thigh highs to rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009 11:45:40 PM »

I'm so glad I don't have to be jealous of fun tights anymore Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Charles Kipps Talks About Crystal Death
Meet Author Simon Doonan
Ian Black and Peter Brown Talk About The Purple Kangaroo
Free Agent Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...