A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mothers day 22nd (UK) crafty mom? craft with arthritis?!!  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vespertank

100,000 sperm and I was the fastest

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2009 03:11:27 AM »

Ok so i'm editing whole post cause i have had no feedback and probably me ranting on made it so you couldn't finish reading to answer lol.
 hookaay so my mom has arthritis (sp?) but loved to knit etc before it got too painful..i'm not knowledgable on the subject so if any1 can give advice it would mean a lot to me.
 is there anything i could get so as it would lessen the pain of her arthritis but still be able to enjoy knitting, would crochet sarter kit be a good idea?
 like i said i really dont know what i'm talking about on this but i know she would love to be able to carry on and i was thinking of getting her some supplies if possible that wont agravate her arthritis for mothers day?
 Any feedback at all would be immensley appreciated.
 thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009 06:45:36 AM by Vespertank » THIS ROCKS   Logged
workinIt
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009 07:38:24 PM »

Many of the residents where I work have arthritis. Some of the crocheters use a sponge curler (tube only) on their hooks to make it easier for them to hold their crochet hooks.

That would not work for knitting needles. Maybe your mom would be able to knit again if she had some of the larger needles.

It may be that she needs to find a new craft to enjoy! Seniors are able to do many things... I often modify a craft idea to make it more accommodating to my arthritic participants... simple card making.... basic decorative painting techniques... working with fun foam... flower arranging... beading (beads with large holes)... sewing on plastic canvas... lots of things.

It is so nice that you want to help your mom to be able to continue her crafting! Good luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 03:24:07 AM »

I have arthiritis and find that crocheting is much easier especially as you can get hooks that are flattenend or padded. I also picked up other crafts as I lost mobility and while I hated some I loved others so it may be a matter of trying several. Starter kits are a good way to try things out if you are the kind of person that learns from patterns or written instructions. Another idea is maybe look for a craft group where people meet and do different crafts. You could maybe agree to join her there or arrange for transport.
 Think about crafts where your fine motor ability is not vital (I find on bad days I seem to think Ive picked up or grasped an item and it just falls out my hands Angry)
I also worked in aged care in the diversional therapy side, and we have found that people who continue crafting are mentally better of but also retain the ability to use their hands longer - the actions of knitting and crocheting have great benefit to the joints and the mobility.
You are a wondeful person to be taking so much care in choosing a gift for her! I am sure whatever you give her she will love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stretch
How to do the cow face stretch
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...