A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selvi's Pouch - A Special Gift  (Read 3654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 10, 2009 08:36:34 PM »

I just got a new sewing machine and I was excited to try out the different stitches and the lettering. I made this little pouch for my sponsor child. It's lined in a beige fabric and has a band that goes all the way around it, and it buttons over the top with a little heart! it's hard to see it, but the light stitching at the top around the edge is a string of hearts in beige thread that matches the inner lining.

I sponsor her through World Vision. I've sponsored her since I was 13 - and now I'm 22 - to give you an idea of how long I've been her sponsor. I went to meet her last February. She's such a wonderful girl. She wants to be a teacher! I couldn't be more proud of her. She'll really make a difference in her community.

In May she will be turning 18. Eighteen!!! I wanted to give her something special for her birthday this year, as it's a big one. I bought her a couple of nice little things, and I also made her this little pouch with her name embroidered on it. I know she'll love the gift, I just can't wait to hear back from her! Unfortunately, I know this will take months as it's a package, plus my letter was a little long.

If you've ever thought of sponsoring a child, I would say just do it. You make such an enormous change! It not only affects that childs life for the better, but their entire community. World Vision enables kids to have health care, education, and a future, it works on creating a self-sustaining community around them. Entire areas feel a large change from such a small gift. Plus you form a wonderful friendship with someone overseas.

I'd love to hear about your experiences with your sponsor child!

Feel free to PM me with questions about World Vision as well. I don't work for them, but I strongly believe in their work - I have seen it and felt it.
You can also visit www.worldvision.ca to find out how to sponsor a child. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 08:38:45 PM by Retro_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009 03:43:50 AM »

It is so lovely that you sponsor someone and that you have done so for so long.
That is a lovely photo too!
I am sure that she will love the pouch,
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009 04:54:42 AM »

I've always held back on sponsoring because I guess I was just too skeptical.  I figured the money went into a big pot that a bunch of stiff administrative types doled out according to their own whim.  I didn't really believe that the money went to a specific child every time.   I certainly never dreamed that you could actually go over and meet your sponsored child.  It's tragic that the economy is so bad right now, because you've convinced me that I had it all wrong.  I will look into it again and see if I can figure out how to make it work.  Thanks so much for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009 05:57:44 AM »

BEAUTIFUL gift and story - thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009 06:33:48 AM »

Wow--what a wonderful story.
The purse is lovely too, I'm sure she'll love it, and the story is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
joyxiii
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009 09:26:25 AM »

That is absolutely beautiful.  I'm sure she will treasure that the rest of her life.  I have also sponsored children (3 total) since I was 13 (I'm now 28) but through Compassion International.  My church family, all told, sponsors almost 400 children in Rwanda through World Vision.  This will be the fifth year that a group has gone to visit them.  It's always a highlight and life changing event.  One of my girls (I work with the youth group) went last year and, wow, I couldn't imagine such a great girl being better but she came back so full of passion that has not abated.  Sorry to get off track a bit, I just understand how excited you are.  :-)  Again, your gift is beautiful enough on it's own but the extra meaning just adds to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009 10:39:23 AM »

Lovely gift. And lovely story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Caddylolz

Making crafty messes since 1993

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009 01:55:31 PM »

Wow! I love the purse. it's a nice colour and great pattern. Wink
That's so great, and you've made a really great friend.
Yeah, she will definitely love the purse.
So you two are like penpals, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog: www.itstherealthing.tumblr.com
de Santos (my craft business): http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/De-Santos-by-Carla-Bellot/149730198394526?ref=ts

willing to do personal swaps Smiley
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009 03:14:10 PM »

oops.... I just realized that I forgot to tell you how much I love the little purse.  It's sure to become one of her prized possessions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009 08:54:23 PM »

I've always held back on sponsoring because I guess I was just too skeptical.  I figured the money went into a big pot that a bunch of stiff administrative types doled out according to their own whim.  I didn't really believe that the money went to a specific child every time.   I certainly never dreamed that you could actually go over and meet your sponsored child.  It's tragic that the economy is so bad right now, because you've convinced me that I had it all wrong.  I will look into it again and see if I can figure out how to make it work.  Thanks so much for sharing.

I hear that concern from people every so often, it's sad some organizations spoil it for the ones who truely change the world. World Vision is completely legit. Offering Translations for your letters between you and your child, a visit if you and the child wish, and even volunteer trips for a chance to really get in on the ground level. Keep in mind that all registered not-for-profit charities are obligated to tell you where donations are spent if requested. At least in Canada. If you're talking to a charity that is wheeling around telling you where money goes, look into it. I've had nothing but honesty from World Vision, and all phone representatives have been nothing but wonderful, right from my first call when I was a kid.

But you don't have to request it with World Vision. Not only do I get a full yearly break down in the mail, (In the form of a pie chart of percentages and a brief description) but they will tell me specific things Selvi and her family - AND the community receive! For example, when she passed her grade last year, her new school was further. So they got her a bike so she didn't have to walk. They let me know when they gave her family agricultural supplies. They keep me fully updated on her health, and when she passes a school year. When I visited her, she showed me the tree in the back yard. I went to her shool, she showed me the benches World Vision donated. Heck, it even went BEYOND her community!

On the way to visiting her, about an hours drive away from arriving, my World Vison worker/guide/translator asked if I would like to stop at a school on the way, because they had just received play equipment from World Vision.    Welllll, I got a big surprise! They had me do the ribbon cutting ceremony for it!

Here are some other shots. Click Thumbnails to enlarge.

Photo of the new park.

Well deepening project.

Water tower. (This is Selvi's street!)

Selvis School. (Note just how MANY kids there are. They go waaaay back there!)

Outside her house. That's her grandmother. Sweetest woman ever. So many hugs and kisses from her!

If anyone would like, I'll post links to my youtube videos from my trip. The main reason I was there was actually because I was volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, but my destination was so close to where Selvi was, that I called World Vision up to see if I could meet her. They were only too excited for me and her and helped me arrange it right down to a pick up from my hotel room in Puducherry.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009 08:57:36 PM by Retro_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan Orlean on Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
Terra Elan McVoy on Being Friends With Boys
Jeremy Toombs Performs His Poem "The Alleppey Express"
Finale Book Trailer
Author Bob Woodward Discusses the Economic Crisis
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...