A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Suggestions?  (Read 393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilMissPink
« on: March 10, 2009 05:25:55 PM »

Hi ya'll, I'm pretty new to sewing... anywho... I want to make a simple skirt and tote set, but I don't know much about fabrics...

I need something that is sturdy enough to support the weight of books in a tote bag
but I also need it to have enough drape to look good (not puffy) as a circle skirt (I want a LOT of gathering, so I may even use 2 circles)

the only ideas that I have based on my readings is a lightweight denim and stretch twill.

is this possible or will I have to resort to buying 2 types of fabric??? I'd prefer not to. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009 06:06:53 AM »

Remember that you can always interface and line (and interface the lining) of the tote, to reinforce and provide strength.  This opens you up to all sorts of wovens.  I'd look at cottons, personally.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
christinem
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009 03:53:09 PM »

Since you want to use one fabric type, I would recommend a lightweight cotton, to accommodate the many gathers you desire.  You will need to reinforce the tote with fusible interfacing, or buckram, and line it if you're using a lightweight outer fabric.

Or if you want to consider multiple fabrics, you could make the skirt of cotton, say a nice print.  Then use the print for the pockets and accents on the tote, using a sturdier fabric such as canvas or twill for the main construction.

hth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009 05:15:04 PM »

umm idk what interfacing or buckram is... but since twill is supposed to be sturdy, would that be a possibility for the skirt as well??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009 05:47:38 PM »

Twill would not accommodate the style of skirt I think you're after (a gathered circle skirt).  It's a fabric with a lot of structure.  Great for a bag, a structured skirt, or a jacket...not so great for a voluminous skirt with lots of gathers.  Interfacing is a product that you either iron on or baste to your fashion fabric (and/or interfacing--I'd go with and) that adds body and strength to it.  There are different weights, depending upon your project.  Anything from lightweight, which you'd use for cuffs and collars, to craft weight, which leaves fabric feeling vaguely like cardboard.   Wink  It's usually pretty cheap (and very often on sale), and very easy to use.  If you plan on sewing clothes or bags regularly, definitely become familiar with it.  It makes a real difference in the quality of the finished garment (ask me how I know  Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Asafetida Is Used in Indian Recipes
What Are the Differences Between North and South Indian Food
How to Make Tandoori Chicken
How Pappadam Is Used in Indian Food
How to Cook Thai-Style Chicken Noodles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...