A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flannel - my new obsession  (Read 856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Disco Queen Highness
« on: September 30, 2009 09:36:46 AM »

Mmmm, I love the smell of flannel in the morning.   Grin  My friend introduced me to the warm, snuggly joy of a rag quilt.  This is the first one I made. 

It's for me.  I swear it is.  I just can't convince my family it was made for me, just me.  They all love how soft and snuggly it is.  In an effort to reclaim my blanket I'm making each of my family members their own for Christmas.  Hubby's is already sewn, so is his moms.  I've just got to clip all of the seams.  That takes FOREVER.  Talk about a hand cramp, ouch.  There are only 2 1/2 to go, so I've got plenty of time.  As my reward for finishing all of the Christmas quilts on time I get to make myself a pink & brown rag quilt.  I'm hoping with so many roaming the house I'll be able to snuggle under at least one of them.

Hope you all enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009 09:44:34 AM »

This is so very cute!!  My ma-in-law is wanting to start making these.  Other than the clipping, are they very hard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009 10:44:35 AM »

They aren't hard at all.  I taught my sister, who doesn't sew at all, how to do these this summer.  I do mine with 8 inch squares and match the front & back fabrics.  Sandwhich a 7 inch piece of cotton batting between the two pieces of flannel.   Very important - do not wash the fabric before cutting.  Sew X's across each square.  Then sew your rows together with all of the seams on one side.  Make sure when you're sewing the quilt together that you sew each row twice.  Then twice again when you're sewing the rows together.  Some people leave the edges of the quilt raw, but I like to bind mine.  I like the nice finished look.  If you don't bind the edges you need to sew a 1/2 inch seam around the whole quilt then clip around that edge as well as the seams.  Super easy!

My thorw is 8 squares by 10 squares.  My hubby's is 10 squares by 12 squares because he complains that all of my quilts are too short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists
Etsy
rainylakechick
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009 01:34:46 PM »

Sew X's across each square.  Then sew your rows together with all of the seams on one side.  Make sure when you're sewing the quilt together that you sew each row twice.  Then twice again when you're sewing the rows together.

What do you mean, "sew each row twice" and "twice again when you're sewing the rows together"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009 03:27:43 PM »

Sew X's across each square.  Then sew your rows together with all of the seams on one side.  Make sure when you're sewing the quilt together that you sew each row twice.  Then twice again when you're sewing the rows together.

What do you mean, "sew each row twice" and "twice again when you're sewing the rows together"?

So maybe I wasn't really clear about that. 

"Sew each row twice"
Say you're sewing 2 squares together.  Lay one on top of the other.  Sew a 1/2 inch seam, so they're sewn together.  Now, sew right back over that seam again. 

"twice again when you're sewing the rows together"
Once you have your rows of 8 sewn together lay one row on top of the other row and repeat process as directed above and there is no added stability.  Unless you count the washing.  You need to wash the quilt a couple of times after clipping all of the seams to fuzz up the seams.  Since you didn't prewash your fabric the shrinking occurs now and sort of locks all of the stitching in place.

The only thing that is holding this quilt together is the two rows of stitching between the squares that you've sewn.  Normally you get to quilt over everything and add a little extra stability.  In this quilt the X's are your quilting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists
Etsy
Dragon*Fly

Not the only strange one on the internet.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009 09:51:05 AM »

This looks so snuggly!  I think I should make one for myself, so thanks for the directions!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeover Your Look: Over-Processed Hair Therapy
Step-by-Step Tips for Self Tanning
Get Gorgeous for Your Next Dinner Party
Get the Look: Girls Night Out
Your Cell Phone Is a Germ Magnet
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...