A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silk Scarf Dress Help!??  (Read 396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bnanca
« on: March 10, 2009 01:08:07 PM »

Hello all! Its been along time since I posted but I have a question for anybody willing to help me out. I am getting back into the crafty mood and with warmer weather fastly approaching I want to make a couple of hot dresses as I am on my way to a skinner me!  Grin So with that being said, I wanted to make a satin scarf type dress basically it will look like 2 big scarfs sewed together, only problem is, does anybody know where I can find them at???

Here is where I got the idea from,

http://www.dhstyles.com/FAMOSA-6188-BLACK-TEAL-OFFSHOULDER-COCKTAIL-MINI-D-p/famosa-6188-black-teal.htm

http://www.dhstyles.com/CAROLINA-14521-PURPLE-SATIN-FLORAL-COCKTAIL-DRESS-p/carolina-14521-purple.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009 01:56:40 PM »

Good news & Bad news.

Good news: wonderfully easy to do. Yes it really is as simple as whip stitching together two scarves.

Good & Bad news: finding two scarves that are identical outside of a retail store are slim & none. If you want front & back identical, you might as well buy the one you linked because you might spend more on the individual scarves that that dress is selling for.
If you don't mind front & back not matching, estate sales and consignment shops that sell better quality used clothing are the way to go. I have picked up real Gucci scarves (easily $50 new and 100% silk) at estate sales for a dollar or two.

More bad news: if you want it to be a dress I hope you are short in the torso and/ or under 5' 5". Real scarves just won't be big enough to cover decently to be a dress if you are any taller than that. As a blouse of course it'll be fine for any size. That company (most likely) prints the fabric in a scarf motif, but in sizes actual scarves don't come in in order to have it look the same on all sizes that they sell.

Hope that helps, it's a very cute idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Take Pictures with a Changing Sun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...