A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Mario Super Coasters!!  (Read 33575 times)
Tags for this thread: mario , video_game , perler_bead , coaster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susieoregon
« on: March 10, 2009 07:00:27 AM »

Ok, I know we have all seen a lot of these perler beads Mario coasters (as have I, that's where I got the idea to do them Smiley  But I just finished a set of 6 and I was really happy with the way they turned out so I thought I would share.  Here's the finished product:

I had never done any work with perler beads and it seemed like a simple project and like it wouldn't take very long.  I decided to make my sister a set of these for her birthday coming up in a few weeks so I headed down to Joann's and bought the big bucket of perler beads that came with some pegboards.  I also bought some tacky glue and a roll of cork board.  When I got home and started sorting through my purchases, I quickly realized that the bucket just wasn't going to cut it.  First off it was missing some colors I really needed and secondly, the peg board it came with was way too small for proper coasters.  So first thing Saturday morning I went back to Joann's and bought a big tray of sorted beads and another small package of beads that came with a really big peg board.  So now I was really ready to go:

Most of the beads I used did come from the big bucket of beads which I sorted into that little paint palette thing I had lying around.  But I think if I were ever to buy more perler beads I would definitely stick to sorted trays.  There is something to be said for the hours and hours of time you spend sorting out the colors.  And I'm not being dramatic like "OMG!  That took like a billion years!!!"  I literally spent like 4 hours just sorting out colors.

I was really surprised at how long it takes to bead.  I started around noon and didn't finished all 6 of them until about 7:30 that night and I hadn't even done the cork backing yet.  It just takes a long time to sort and bead and iron.  And you really just do one bead at a time.  It definitely helps to have some tweezers.  I just used the ones I pluck my eyebrows with and they worked great.

I ironed each one a little longer than they said to.  My sister has kids and I wanted them to be securely melded.

I know what you're thinking, "her ironing board looks like a towel on her kitchen counter."  And you're right, it is a towel on my kitchen counter.  You take the towel off and it becomes my work bench. 

Once they were all ironed and ready to go I traced their size onto some cork board, then cut out the square and used Tacky Glue to glue it onto the side I thought looked not as nice as the front.

I used a lot of glue too.  Once I had them all lined up I place them on the board and weighed them down over night so they would dry flat.  I just used my yoga book and some 5 pound hand weights.

Here is a picture of the cork backing:

And it works!!

**EDIT**  I used the cross-stitch patterns from Birdy's post to make these designs.  She made Mario coasters too and they are awesome.  Check it out:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293851.msg3341090#msg3341090
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 11:49:05 AM by susieoregon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
warheart

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009 07:22:11 AM »

Awesome!! I like the idea of adding cork to the back, that is practical Smiley Where did you get a big perler bead grid like that? I only have tiny ones and it makes things pretty annoying. I also feel you on the sorting, I did the same thing and it SUCKS. I still have most of a huge bucket left to sort.. I really don't want to do it but I will eventually >_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn is my craft drug of choice
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009 07:25:22 AM »

I've never seen these before and they are awesome. I don't know that I would try and do some any time soon though. I've been working with seed beads lately and I know what you mean about taking forever. I think I'm thoroughly sick of beads right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Pamcake1323
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009 07:32:44 AM »

I like your coasters & I have that book.  I hope she likes them =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009 07:33:42 AM »

Awesome!! I like the idea of adding cork to the back, that is practical Smiley Where did you get a big perler bead grid like that? I only have tiny ones and it makes things pretty annoying. I also feel you on the sorting, I did the same thing and it SUCKS. I still have most of a huge bucket left to sort.. I really don't want to do it but I will eventually >_<

I still have a huge bucket to sort too!!  Here is the thing I bought at Joann's for the big peg board:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3000&PRODID=xprd903468

The one I bought was a little bit different, but it was the same price $4.99 and I bought it at my local store and they didn't have a very big selection of perler bead stuff, so I was kind of just stuck with that.  It's a really nice big one though and I had plenty of room.

Thanks for your comment!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyKer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009 07:42:42 AM »

This is amazing. I love how the pictures still look kinda pixeled. I'm a sucker for all things nintendo. I may just have to give this a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009 07:43:30 AM »

I like your coasters & I have that book.  I hope she likes them =)

That's a good book!! Cheesy Thanks for your comment!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lo{ve}
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009 07:44:59 AM »

i used to love making these when i was a kid! it'd be so fun to do it again, but one question. doesn't placing hot drinks on the beads just make them melt more? maybe i'm dumb haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009 07:46:05 AM »

My husband saw some of these on another thread and now is itching to make some for his brothers.  Thanks for the warning of the bucket, I think we will be buying the presorted trays, when he's ready.

I like the size you made yours, they seem big enough to cover bigger type glasses. Oh and the images are the best choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009 07:49:29 AM »

I'm new to this site so I'd never seen anything like these.  I like them a lot!  And even though it took you ages to sort the beads, I can see myself enjoying that part.  I like sorting things. 

We can work together on your next project, I'll sort beads, fetch supplies, and give opinions.  You can do the artsy part.  LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Beach Curl Waves
How to Create a Unique Braid and Messy Bun
Britney Spears Inspired Hair and Make Up Tutorial
Carrie Underwood Inspired Hair and Makeup Tutorial
How to Create a Hair Side Braid with Ribbon
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...