A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Look what I found growing! Help me identify this flower?  (Read 2123 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 09, 2009 10:04:20 PM »

Well my fiance and I bought our house back in September and our yard is pretty bare.  We have some type of flower tree out front, and some bushes, and out back we have a very small tree, and that's it.  I was working on digging up a patch of grass to make a small flower garden, and I discovered this little lovely budding!  Any ideas of what it is?  Sorry if it is obvious, I am VERY oblivious to this type of thing!  I didn't even realize one of the bushes in our back yard was actually ROSEMARY until a house guest pointed it out!  I am very excited to have inherited some pretties though  Cheesy

And since I worked so hard digging up the dirt and pulling weeds, here is my future flower garden.  I can't wait for them to come up!  So far I planted a mix of wildflowers, but I have sunflowers to plant (maybe tomorrow), and bluebonnets, and some others I can't remember.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009 10:37:46 PM »

That is an iris.  Very much a pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009 10:58:50 PM »

Thanks!  I hope more pop up!  There are three other bunches of leaves similar to these, but no buds yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009 12:03:05 AM »

Oh, you're lucky to have irises (sp?) growing in you're garden, they're incredibly beautiful with their large colourful flowers. you should get a flora book and go hunting once things start popping up! I wish I had a garden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009 10:51:47 AM »

I love irises so much, especially those purple ones! Growing up, my house had three of four big patches full of irises and when they were in bloom they smelled just like grape bubblegum! Cheesy The house my hubby and I bought last year has purple irises too, which makes me really happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 10:34:26 PM »

Ahh you guys are so smart!  It DID turn in to a beautiful iris!  MandyLikesPie, that's so cool that the house you bought has irises too  Grin  Yay for previous owners!

Let's try another!

I'm not sure if this is a weed or an actual flower, it's probably a weed.  I have lots of these growing around the yard and near my garden.  The stock is thick and looks almost like round celery and it has yellow flowers.  Any clue?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009 06:16:01 AM »

Your iris is wonderful! I grow them here as well. They are my hubby's favorite!

That new thing is a weed! Pull it quick before it goes to seed and infects everything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldsheepbowl
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009 06:22:24 AM »

make sure you get the roots though! Or use a good weedkiller!
Those things are a pain, if you dont get rid of them properly they spread everywhere.
I cant remember for the life of me what it's called  Undecided lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009 06:31:06 AM »

Oh no!  I knew the blasted thing was a weed!  They are all over the perimeter of the fence too and they grow TALL.  There are a few up to my waist already.  I will rip them out as soon as the ground stops being soggy (4 days of rain Angry ).  I think I have some weedkiller too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009 08:12:26 AM »

Ya know, if you don't have any weed killer, you could always pour straight vinegar on it.  The only down side to this natural remedy is that it also kills the stuff around it, so if your weed is in a lawn you'd have little mini bald spots.  It works best on a sunny day, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Fabric Types
Creative Fabrics for Outdoor Fun
Measuring Fabrics for DIY Projects
Choosing Fabrics for Gift Wraps
Choosing Fabrics for Upholstery
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...