A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My friend Serendipity, The Pink Dinosaur! Or is it Dragon? (Picture hefty)  (Read 7350 times)
Tags for this thread: dinosaur , dragon , childhood , serendipity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twiterpert
« on: March 09, 2009 05:08:37 PM »

There's a story here, so if you're really just here for the pictures, feel free to scroll down; no hard feelings! But I warn you, you'll have no idea what it really is...

My best friend and I realized a few years ago that we had both seen the same obscure children's movie when we were little: Serendipity the Pink Dragon. It's a Japanese anime that was squashed into movie form and dubbed about a pink dragon (although the theme song calls her a dinosaur). She loved it, while I preferred Star Fairies, but that's a story for another day. About a year and a half ago, I started sewing and decided that for Christmas, I would make my friend a Serendipity plushie for Christmas. I didn't even get started. But no worries! Her birthday was in March, so I would make it for that. No deal. But wait! Graduation was coming up...! And now it's already past. Guess it's for Christmas again... Or not.

Finally, two weeks before her birthday this year, I decided to get my rear in gear and make it. Seeing as I had never even attempted to make a plushie before, I figured I would just dive right in. It actually worked pretty well. I make a mock up of the body and then cut it out again in the fleece I used. I just sort of winged the spikes, flippers, and tail. So now, I'm sitting in my room ready to sew it all together when it hits me that I don't have any filling to stuff it with and no access to a car. Luckily, the next weekend was spring break, so I would be going home.

Fast forward a week, and at home, my gramma tells me she has a big ol' bag of stuffing I can have (as well as a massive box of fabric). It's now the day before my friend is coming over to celebrate with me (here's to overlapping breaks!) and all I have done is a couple of pieces cut out. I spent the better part of the day sewing her all together, with frequent breaks. She's all machine sewed except the eyes, where I stuffed her and where I attached the tail.

I finished her in time for the party, and my friend loved her. She claimed she was going to keep her in her dorm and make any friend that questioned her presence watch the movie.

If you stuck with me for that, I congratulate you! I'm super proud of Serendipity as I have never made a plushie before and had to make my own pattern. Because of this, you'll be seeing shots from all angles.

For size (really, I'm not just showing her off! Wink)

For those of you not lucky enough to have ever seen the movie, here's what Serendipity looks like:

Thanks for looking! Comments are loved!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009 08:37:38 PM by twiterpert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009 05:24:34 PM »

I actually knew what it was XD
I had at least one book about her (more i think) it was like my favorite book when i was little Cheesy i didn't know there was a movie though, i with have to look for that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009 05:39:20 PM »

SO CUTE! Serendipidy  was one of my favourite books when I was really little, along with Leo the lop from the same series.  I think we had a dozen or more of these books, and you did a really good job.  She's even the right shade of pink!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009 05:55:30 PM »

I loved the Serendipity books when I was little too. Are the books the same as this movie? Because the creature looks similar, but isn't the same. I'm not sure the book series is Japanese. I bought all of the books before my daughter was born and now they're her favorite things to play with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/084313819X/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

I love your Serendipity, she's super cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
twiterpert
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009 06:15:07 PM »

Wow! I'm already surprised how many knew about Serendipity

SewMamaLady: Yup, they're the same thing. From what I remember, the books were written first by an American author and then the anime was based off of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
Lady_Frog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009 06:30:40 PM »

she looks great,but maybe add some lashes?

i also knew what it was,so then i read your post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelcallie
Fabric Addict

It is a truth universally acknowledged . . .

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009 06:40:34 PM »

I loved those books as a kid! I never knew there was a movie though. Your Serendipity is cute. I love her tail and her little green spiniedies. Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dukemanistan
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009 06:50:54 PM »

I never knew there was an anime but I did read the books when I was little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it comes to textile crafts, I am only sew sew.
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009 06:53:06 PM »

Oh my goodness... my sister and I watched that movie till the tape broke. Mom was so glad to see it go LOL. Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
maldania
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009 07:35:29 PM »

Beautiful! I saw this in the thumbnail and couldn't believe it, I used to watch the movie and read the books non-stop! And still have a rather heavy obsession with sea monsters because of it!  Cheesy Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 3/3
How to Make Chorizo Burgers
How to Make an Italian Beef Sandwich
How to Make Sauteed Peppers and Onions
Cornbread and Pinto Beans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...