A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,179
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: using very thick interfacing  (Read 1385 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dishwasher182
« on: March 09, 2009 04:29:37 PM »

So i'm wanting to make a nice messenger bag and i've made one previously and i used very thick interfacing but i had a hard time sewing the seams because everything was so thick!

I've heard that if you make your interfacing smaller than you need, so that when you sew the bag together you not sewing through all the layers....

so my question is how much smaller do you make it?  Lets say your using 1/2 inch seam allowances...  so would you just cut your interfacing 1/2 in smaller on all sides of each of the bag pieces?

sorry if this is a really dumb question Huh

any other tips for making nice sturdy messenger bags would be nice too Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009 10:25:11 AM »

Yes, you are right that you would cut the interfacing 1/2" smaller, but it can be tricky trying to line everything up. I just use medium weight interfacing & put it on the lining & main fabric & it's been pretty sturdy for me.

What I did was take a tote bag pattern of mine, just added the pockets I wanted & drew a flap pattern for the front. I added a large side pocket to the inside for carrying manilla folders & paperwork so that it would stay protected. I put it on the inside, back of the bag so it wouldn't be bulky. My daughter uses it for work & she loves it.

Be careful of the type of fabric you use. I made one where my friend wanted upholestry type fabric & it was a bear to do (corduroy is nice). Also, if you need hardware for straps, try www.straps.com. They have awesome stuff. Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009 11:13:54 AM »

>>>i used very thick interfacing but i had a hard time sewing the seams because everything was so thick!

I've heard that if you make your interfacing smaller than you need, so that when you sew the bag together you not sewing through all the layers.... <<<

You were not specific in what type of hard time you were having in sewing the seams, so I am winging it....

A couple of things:
-Are you using the correct size needle?  You may need either a denim or upholstery needle.
-Use a longer stitch length.
-Does your machine have a way to adjust the presser foot pressure?  This can help with how the fabric feeds through the machine.
-Do you have a walking foot?  This can also help.  If you do not have a walking foot and your fabrics are shifting, you can stitch a couple of inches, stop with needle down and lift the presser foot to let up some of the pressure on the fabric.

Once your seam is stitched, trim the interfacing away from the seam allowance.  Having the interfacing caught in the seam allowance (opposed to using interfacing that is not sewn into the seam allowance) helps hold the interfacing in place so it will not shift during use.

You can make your interfacing smaller.  I recommend that if you do that you quilt it to your lining so it does not shift during use.

Happy Sewing,
Anne
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lody
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009 07:17:56 AM »

I'm a little late here, but do think about the fact that if you make it so you aren't sewing through the interfacing, your seams will be weaker, since the interfacing won't be strengthening them at all.  I agree with sewnutzz that a good needle is great.  I sewed two messenger bags, one with a denim needle and one with a regular needle, and it really makes a difference!  Also change it out fairly often, the sharper the tip of the needle the better it'll go through te many layers (trust me, I know about many layered bags.  I ended up sewing through ...I think ti was 13 layers of fabric one time. yikes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pepper Jack-Stuffed Turkey Burger Recipe
Three Quick and Easy Microwave Mug Meal Recipes
How to Make Skinny Shrimp & Polenta: A Healthy Twist on a Southern Staple
How to Make Freeze-Ahead Sausage and Egg Sandwiches
How to Make Skinny Shrimp & Polenta: A Healthy Twist on a Southern Staple
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...