A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Bird Swap, Sweat Shoppe Style! -- PICS BY 5/2, SEND 5/5  (Read 28426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jeane
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009 11:30:07 AM »

I'm In!!!! My info has been sent!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009 08:23:52 PM »

Wish we were getting partners sooner so I could work on them at a craft sale next weekend... oh well, it's not like I have nothing else to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Rainbow_Storms
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009 06:26:50 AM »

Can't wait to start making birdies! Although my craft area is such a mess right now, it's probably better that I have some time to get organized  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps! Just PM me!

I've recently gotten into blythes; check out my blog about mine here:
http://saffron42.livejournal.com
http://deliagrey.etsy.com
dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009 01:04:05 PM »

Hey ladies!

We don't have very many participants yet so if we don't have enough for groups, how would you feel aboutregular partners?

If that works out, then we can still make multiple birds but especially for our partner Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpress.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009 01:27:35 PM »

I think it would be a lot neater to get birds from as many different people as possible.  And get to experience as many different types/styles of birds that everyone will make.  I have been in many rounds of the Sweat shop swap and even when we've had a slow signup we still were able to swap with many partners.  The idea was the same.. you sign up to make 5 items or 10 items. 

Let's say we only have 8 people total sign up.  What we did in the SSS was that people that asked for 5 got 5 and people that asked for 10 would get 7 because that was the max possible to receive if that was all that signed up.  I'm ok with only getting 7 birds.  Smiley  But I am really hoping to get a huge variety of birds, so I'd love one from everyone.  It could be done like this:

1. odd_artist - US - 10 birds
2. Avesthal - US - 10 birds
3. Catrinau - US - 10 birds
4. Rainbow_Storms - US - 5 birds
5. stargardener - 5 birds
6. atouchofyou - 5 birds
7. Jeane - 5 birds
8. dragonmama - 10 birds (I am guessing you'll pick 10..this is just an example anyway)

(name)  ---> (sends to these people)

odd_artist ---> avesthel, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, atouchofyou, jeanne, dragonmamma

Avesthel ---> odd_artist, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, atouchofyou, jeanne, dragonmamma

Catrinau ---> odd_artist, avesthel, rainbow_storms, stargardener, atouchofyou, jeanne, dragonmamma

dragonmama --->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, atouchofyou, jeanne

Rainbow_storms ---->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, dragonmama, stargardener

stargardener ---> odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, dragonmama, atouchofyou

atouchofyou --->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, dragonmama, jeanne

jeanne ---->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, dragonmama, rainbow_storms

So the 10's send to everyone in the round.  Then the 5's send to all the 10s.  And any left over partner spots on the 5's would be randomly assigned their last partner (from the 5's).  So the 5's receive 5 birds and the 10's receive 7 birds. 

Hope that makes sense.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009 02:22:52 PM by Avesthel - Reason: because I can't count » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009 01:36:10 PM »

you are fantastic! thank you!

I only worry about international stuff and allergies. how is that handled in sweat shoppe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpress.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009 01:42:48 PM »

You're most welcome!  Smiley

You know, I'm not sure how Gatorwrangler handles the allergies.  The international though is not an issue, you just know that you might be sending to an international person when joining.  And a bird doesn't weigh much at all (unless you sculpt it out of metal) so it shouldn't cost that much more than shipping to a US person.  You could ask Gatorwrangler (she's the one that has been doing these sweat shop swaps for many rounds now) about the allergen issue. 

Also as I was looking at that example I realized that it only works for 5 or fewer people signed up for 10 birds.  If you have 6 people sign up it would need to be done differently, but I know it can be worked out so it can work.  Smiley  In fact, I think I'll doodle on that idea and see what I come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jrain
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009 01:51:55 PM »

This rule only applies to people in the US sending to other US participants. The dc rule does not apply to you. You will just need to keep your postal receipt as proof of sending.  Smiley

I thought so but I just wanted to double check. Cheesy Guess I need to work on my signup form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Foxlet

Mad scientist in the making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009 01:53:33 PM »

Yeah, I'd also prefer to receive from several different people. I hope assigning partners/receivers/whatever doesn't turn out to be a complete nightmare. Tongue

Out of idle curiosity, is anyone else not from the US?

Also, is there a reason I'm not mentioned in the list on the first page?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009 01:57:00 PM by Foxlet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog ; Ravelry ; Wists ; Twitter

I play the web.

Personal swap friendly!
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009 02:19:43 PM »

Just an example of 6 people signed up for 10 birds... when there are not enough swappers to equal 10.

1. odd_artist - US - 10 birds
2. Avesthal - US - 10 birds
3. Catrinau - US - 10 birds
4. Rainbow_Storms - US - 10 birds
5. stargardener - 10 birds

6. atouchofyou - 5 birds
7. Jeane - 5 birds

8. dragonmama - 10 birds (I am guessing you'll pick 10..this is just an example anyway)

(name)  ---> (sends to these people)

odd_artist ---> avesthel, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, dragonmamma, atouchofyou, jeanne

Avesthel ---> odd_artist, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, dragonmamma, atouchofyou, jeanne

Catrinau ---> odd_artist, avesthel, rainbow_storms, stargardener, dragonmamma, atouchofyou, rainbow_storms(2nd bird)

dragonmama --->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, rainbow_storms, stargardener, atouchofyou, avesthel(2nd bird)

Rainbow_storms ---->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, dragonmama, stargardener, jeanne, catrinau(2nd bird)

stargardener ---> odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, rainbow_storms, dragonmama, jeanne, dragonmama(2ndbird)

atouchofyou --->  odd_artist, avesthel, catrinau, jeanne, stargardener

jeanne ---->  rainbow_storms, stargardener, dragonmamma, atouchofyou, odd_artist

So in this case since there are 6 swappers sending 10 birds, the 10's would send to all the 10's at least 1 time.
Then the 10's each have 2 birds left to send out.  We'll get back to those 2 birds in a minute.

So now to make it as diverse as possible, assign the 5's to send to the 10's.  I am trying to make it as random as possible so I pick the first three 10's for atouchofyou and the second three 10's for jeanne.  

Now each of the 5's have 2 birds left over to send out.  

So then randomly assign these last birds to both the 10's and 5's.  To make this work you will have to let some of the people send 2 birds to the same person.  I would just spread this out so people can get as many unique birds as possible.  

So again, in this case the 5's would send out 5 and get 5, and then 10's would send out 7 and get 7 back.  Smiley  

If you assign partners this way and you need someone to help double check the sendout list before posting, I'd be glad to help as a second pair of eyes. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009 02:26:07 PM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Overglaze and Finishing
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Adding Shadows and Highlights
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Sponge Texture
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Additional Layering
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Spattering Texture
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...