A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: livchen? Help with living room/ kitchen  (Read 564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2009 01:26:13 PM »

Its snowing here so its a great day to redo a room!

Heres the living room. Note the fact that when I took my picture you can see the kitchen table, the rooms are side by side.

footstool and annoying air conditioner

couch

chair

Love seat (the peice that started the burgendy.

End tables, one on each side of the couch

cofee table. Just painted it black and burgendy (well it looks more burnt seina)

Tv stand that I just lvoed,. I love the clean lines and the  fact I assembled it myself

Kitchen veiw from couch

the kitchen storage thing (and hammy home holder)

the kitchen table (notice how the black contunies in the chairs)
And

The stools that need somthing.....
Colors in the room are burgendy (couch, table, footstool, curtains), Black,(tv stand, coffee table, side tables, chair, stool), and turquoise (trays, chair, lamps), and a little purple (throw pillows, stool top). There are curtains that are going to go up.  kitchen is blacks, browns, COFFEE...

The main issue is how to make the living room and kitchen flow since there like one long room.  Also should I put a curain under the tv stand to hide the stuff? Should I repaint the kitchen stools legs to somthing other than gold? does the living room need more seating?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 10:33:15 AM »

It's kind of hard to see the tiny pics, but here are my thoughts anyway.

You need a unified color scheme. If black is your main color for the furniture, and [burgundy/turquoise/purple/whatever-- pick one] is the accent color, make sure all the pieces follow that theme. Use the same paint for the accents on all pieces -- the coffee table, end tables, stools, chairs, dining table. You should paint the stool legs with the same paint as the coffee table accents. You can use a color wheel, or you can scour decorating websites for color schemes, to choose a third color to use in smaller amounts throughout the space. You can also find a print/stripe fabric in your main color plus black plus another color or two, and let the colors in the fabric be your guide. Build your room around that.

If you are dead-set on having your dining area in a differing color scheme, get a room divider.

Make/buy matching slipcovers for all the living room furniture, including the ottoman. The tablecloth should coordinate. Perhaps you could make the tablecloth and some accent pillows from the striped/printed fabric. You could pull out a couple of solid colors for accent pillows too, or get a fabric that coordinates with the first one for extra pillows and the tablecloth.

Can you pull the dining set a bit more into the room without blocking traffic paths? Maybe you could use one or two of the stools in the living area to make the space more cohesive. You can use an area rug to bind the conversation/sitting area together. It should come just to the edge of your seating pieces.

Any throws you use in the living room should coordinate with the color scheme. You need accent pillows of sufficient size that you won't be tempted to bring out your bed pillows. That way, when you get up to answer the door, your living room will look nicely lived in, not messy. You need to be able to reach the coffee table from the loveseat/sofa, so that you can set your kleenexes and your laptop there when you get up.

Only you know if you need more seating. Does your room comfortably accommodate you and any guests you normally have? If so, then you don't need more seating. Or, do you have to scramble to provide more seating whenever unexpected guests drop by?

I see no need to curtain the tv stand as long as you keep it neat. For me, the curtain would be an aggravation. If those blue bins are cloth, you could paint the outside of them with the paint you use for your furniture accents, especially if it is acrylic. Or, you could take your accent fabric and glue it right over the existing cloth.

You dining area pictures on the wall are too, too small. They appear to be surrounded by an ocean of wall. If you can't hang bigger pics there, consider some other wall art along with them, in an arrangement; or use them elsewhere and do a contact-paper wall mural. You probably need something over the sofa, too, especially with those lamps.

You could put coordinating baskets under the end tables to hold unsightly necessities and put a couple of things you love to see on the tables.

Do the floor lamps serve you well where they are, or would you like table lamps better?

As for lighting, if you can't place your dining table under the ceiling light because of traffic patterns, how much freedom do you have in changing the lighting? What I mean is, if you own or your landlord will allow it, I would remove the ceiling fan light kit (using the appropriate cover for the place where it comes off, of course) and put a hanging lamp directly over the table. You could run the cord over to the corner and down. Or you might find the floor lamps of more use in the dining area, one in each corner perhaps, and replace them with table lamps in the seating area.

Your window could use a scarf or valance to accent it. Hanging something either side of it, or maybe adding a pair of tall, narrow bookcases, would help. Don't forget your tv wall, as you and your guests will likely be facing it a lot. Mirrors and plants (real or really goodlooking fakes) make nice accents.

Just remember scale: if a wall or other space looks empty or plain, add something. If a decoration appears lost in a space, use something larger. If it overwhelms the space or objects near it, go with something smaller or lighter in color or feel.

You can also unify the area by using a repeating motif. The decorations/pics in both areas should have something in common -- theme, or design elements, or shape or color -- something.

You can do a lot with a combined space. Just remember, it should flow. It shouldn't be jarring to look from one area to another. You don't want to make it matchy-matchy, so you could have one piece of furniture slipcovered in an accent fabric with main-color solid pillows, you could put differing amount of the accent paint on different pieces of furniture, or do small pieces completely in the accent color. You can make cushions for your dining chairs and stool in a fabric from the living area or in a coordinating one. You can do an arrangement for your dining table using accent colors

One color scheme I like is black/turquoise/orangey-red, with white walls. Just a shot or two of the red really livens up the scheme. You can also use a favorite picture for inspiration. Use its colors as the scheme for the room.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

josita
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009 02:31:49 PM »

Wow, homebunnyj, what a nice, thorough answer. Here's one more suggestion:

Your dining area pictures on the wall are too, too small. They appear to be surrounded by an ocean of wall. If you can't hang bigger pics there, consider some other wall art along with them, in an arrangement; or use them elsewhere and do a contact-paper wall mural. You probably need something over the sofa, too, especially with those lamps.

It'd be cool to have a faux window on that kitchen wall, so when you're on the couch you don't feel you're looking into a dead end. Could be a window painted on the wall, or a real window hung on the wall, or a large DIY art piece of a window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 07:48:13 PM »

Humm with the walls what would you reccomend? I love the art I have but also have 3 plates and 8 little tiles that go with the theme. If I leave the art where it is what else should I put up and where?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
x46
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009 09:55:17 AM »

Take all the bits you want to hang on the wall, the pics, the plates and tiles, and lay them out on the floor in a grid pattern.  Doesn't have to be a rigid square or rectangle, just something close to that.  Arrange them until you get something you like and makes them work together.  They don't all have to fit, just whatever ends up looking good together.  (I'm assuming the colours/themes go together.)  Then hang them on the wall behind your courch in the same formation, low enough so you can look at the centre of the arrangement while sitting down in the chair without having to lift your head.  The spaces between the pieces should be at most 4-8". 

If you don't like that, hang your plates vertically down a wall, spaced about 4" apart.  Good for a narrow spot where nothing else fits.  Or hang them in a horizontal line, low over a dresser or small table.  Grouping small things together makes you notice them.  I'm assuming you put your pics up high so no one sitting at the table would bump them, but then you can't see them, either.  Just for an example, if you moved the small table beside the chair in pic 4 to the wall side, you could hang your plates or pics vertically over the table, high enough so they were only partly obscured by a lamp.  Don't put the lowest one above the level of the lamp shade, put it about 6" above the table height.  Grouping things is a fun way to add silly things, too, like a big old key or a small bunch of dried flowers, or a small plant on a shelf.  Doesn't all have to be serious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Sausage Po Boy
Green Beans with New Potatoes
Fried Shrimp with Crab Etouffee
Figgy Chicken
Tasty Beef Short Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...