A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Flower Headpieces  (Read 3095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IrishMolly
« on: March 08, 2009 07:22:54 AM »

I am so sorry if this is in the wrong place. Its kind of a completed project and yet sort of not....
I am designing all the costumes for an amateur production of Alice in Wonderland. We have huge numbers of cast to dress and very little money - typical Am theater! Anyhow one of the childrens choruses are the flowers and I have made these head pieces for them to wear. They are made from  wire coathangers, old tights and tennisballs. My problem is how to attach them to their heads. The underside is a tennisball with a small slice cut off so that it sits flat on their heads. I have tried thin elastic but as they are doing a dance number they need to be more secure. Anyone have any ideas? Would also love any thoughts you have in how I could improve them, etc.

Cheers
Molly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And those who where seen dancing where thought to be insane by those who could not here the music"
Luna1375
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009 07:44:30 AM »

It's hard to tell just from a picture, but I think it might work to make some sort of cap that ties under the chin, and attach the flowers to the top of it.  The cap might need some wire or boning built in to make it strong enough, depending on how heavy the flowers are.

I think the flower looks really cute, but depending how far away the audience is they might be able to tell it's a tennis ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009 07:51:47 AM »

If this is how you want your headpieces to work, then I would mount them onto baseball caps that you cut the brim off of, and paint green.  I would also tip your petals upwards if the children will be facing the audience during the dance number (as opposed to facing down at the floor, thereby showing off their petals).  You can easily add clear elastic to the bottoms of the baseball hats to make chin straps.  Also, the hats can be purchased cheaply at goodwill if you're willing to get weird ones and paint them yourself with either fabric paint, or even spray paint.  Also, you can make them smaller by making tucks in them and stitching them down by machine if you take off the brims.  I know I sound like an ad for baseball hats, but I use them inside theatrical costumes all the time, as a base for turbans, mascot costumes, etc.  

I actually had problems with making the flowers in Alice when I designed it at a summer stock theatre two years ago.  I thought about doing this kind of a petal, since it was an intensely crafty show, (done with 45 costumes for $500...  you should see how I made lobsters and turtles for $5 each for the quadrille!), but I knew the petals wouldn't show as much with the girls facing the audience.  So instead I used that kids craft foam, and foam sun visors.  I took the coil "elastics" off the visors, and used E6000 to glue them together, corners to corners to make an oval form that their faces could sit in.  Then I cut petals out of the largest kinds of foam and glued them on too, adding paint, and glitter glue to give some dimension and fun.  I reattached an elastic along the back, and voila.  Daisy, Rose, and Tigerlily!

Hope this helps!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009 07:55:14 AM »

epoxy them to headbands?

the flowers are super cute, but I don't know if a headband would be enough to keep the weight of them on a child's head. maybe...attach them to wide strips of fabric (green to emulate stems?) and tie them under their chins like a kerchief?

but without the triangle shaped flap at the back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009 07:57:06 AM »

I don't have any better ideas then the two people before me...but I think the flowers are crazy adorable!  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009 10:02:52 AM »

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thread in "Newest with pictures".  I'm freakin' out.  I too am involved in making costumes for "Children's Day" and the play this year is Alice in Wonderland....And I was told that I am doing the 4 flowers by myself.  (I usually just do the sewing and not the designing).  I've been surfing all weekend looking for a flower costume.
The only thing I can think of Molly is that maybe make long pieces of material....long and attach them to the flowers and tie them under their chins with the rest of the Green fabric trailing down over their costume like green part of the flowers (forgot the word, not the leaves..stalks?).  I'm planning to make the flowers like jennieingram suggested.  I just can't figure out how the petals stand up.  I think your idea of the stretch over the wire is a great idea and not too heavy.  Let us know how you work it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009 10:47:22 AM »

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thread in "Newest with pictures".  I'm freakin' out.  I too am involved in making costumes for "Children's Day" and the play this year is Alice in Wonderland....And I was told that I am doing the 4 flowers by myself.  (I usually just do the sewing and not the designing).  I've been surfing all weekend looking for a flower costume.
The only thing I can think of Molly is that maybe make long pieces of material....long and attach them to the flowers and tie them under their chins with the rest of the Green fabric trailing down over their costume like green part of the flowers (forgot the word, not the leaves..stalks?).  I'm planning to make the flowers like jennieingram suggested.  I just can't figure out how the petals stand up.  I think your idea of the stretch over the wire is a great idea and not too heavy.  Let us know how you work it out.

I used these kind of visors:  http://craftsuppliesforless.com/images/assorted%20pack.jpg
See the ends, where the elastic starts?  We glued two, with ends overlapping, together, forming a lumpy oval.  The width of the visors gave the foam petals something to adhere to, and helped them stand up. 
I think I added some thick craft wire behind the longer tigerlily petals, but for the most part the craft foam stayed up on it's own...
Hmm...  I should put up some more pictures from this show at some point.  It was cute, and uber-crafty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009 11:43:10 AM »

I think the flower is adorable! I'm no help as far as securing them but if you're keeping the one with the tennis ball (which I like very much) I think you should Sharpie in the white parts of the ball.
That said, this is super cute!
Good luck.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009 12:14:27 PM »

jennieingram,  Thank you so much.  You're great!!!  That makes sense now.  Thank you for the picture.  You've been an incredible help.  Thought I'd make a green type of hood for the heads since they (4 boys) will be all over the stage (I know the boys but not the script yet.lol)  Hope you do put up more pictures.  I'm sure that Molly would appreciate them too.  Molly, have you figured out those headpieces yet?  Good luck.  I'm supposed to "do" the Cheshire cat also.  When I figure that one out I'll try to post pictures If you haven't started on that one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IrishMolly
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009 03:41:24 PM »

Thanks for all your great suggestions and ideas. The baseball caps are a great idea jennie . I have used them as a base for loads of other headpieces but hadn't thought of using them for this yet.
I know that you can sort of tell that it is a tennis ball but I kinda like that. Me and the set designer have both decided not to go for a traditional wonderland but more of a modern and crazy one. There is loads of recycled stuff going into the sets and costume. This is great when you are working on an almost non-existent budget. Thanks for all your great ideas. Il would love to see more costume from varos productions you have work on. There should be a special theatre board on craftster for costume, set and props as that really is a craft (stagecraft)!! Ill keep you updated on how my costume are going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And those who where seen dancing where thought to be insane by those who could not here the music"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple Recipes for Thanksgiving
Make Breakfast Rock With Homemade Pop Tarts!
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
How to Make Buttermilk Waffles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...