A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Log cabin in progress  (Read 2360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

penguinade
« on: March 08, 2009 01:13:52 AM »

I've been working on a log cabin for the past 3 weeks, and I figured I'd post some pictures to tempt you all!

First, this is the most complete part of the quilt.  I've never used a quilt-as-you-go method, but hand working a log cabin calls for it, so I threw together the center squares to check whether there was anything I should be cautious of when piecing each block.  I'm sewing the edges of the finished backs by machine, and then "quilting" down the top edges so that it's more continuous with the pattern.  It seems to be a pretty sturdy seam so far.

(This image is the most accurate in terms of coloring of the blue pieces--there are some greens and purples in this picture that did not turn out very accurately, but it's a very blue quilt)

I'm doing an overall 8 x 8 barn raising pattern.  Since I have 24 blocks done, I have them laid out here in a 4 x 6 set.  I plan to attach the blocks "log cabin style", going around and around so that I don't have to worry about trying to sew down the middle of the quilt when it's in its full, mammoth proportions.  My original muslin (that I'm using for the backing) shrunk by about 2 yards (ugh terrible fabric these days . . .), and while I matched the color pretty well, the texture of some of the blocks will be slightly different, so I'm going to piece the rest of the blocks before continuing construction.

This picture shows a close-up of the prints of each fabric.  I selected 11 lights and 8 darks (I basically pulled every bolt that could possibly "go" from the calico and cotton section at Joann's . . .), and navy for the center square.  Each block uses 10 lights and 10 darks, so there's some repetition, but I've gotten pretty good at randomizing fabric choices by now.  I sliced up about 10 yards of the calicos into 1.5" wide strips x the fabric width before I came back to school (yes, I transported 2 gallon size ziplocs of fabric strips over the US-Canada border), and each set of strips lasts about 5 blocks, if that makes any sense ;-)

The last image is the back of one of the squares--it looks a lot less wonky in real life, promise!  I'm averaging about 5-6 stitches per inch, but I'm really working on getting that number up to 7, with more even stitches.  Each block takes about 40 minutes.  Each block is about 1 foot square, with the center square 2", and each strip about 1"

The only thing I'm not sure about at the moment is what color and width to bind it in.  Ideally I'd like to match the center square, but I don't know how easy that will be :-(

Hopefully the next update will have more of the construction done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009 08:05:08 AM »

Looks gorgeous!  I love your color and fabric choices; it looks really sophisticated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
penguinade
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009 03:00:28 PM »

Thanks!

(p.s. I skimmed your blog, and your quilts are so awesome.  I really like your log cabin from 2007--I would never have the patience to plan out my colors that well though :-/)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009 11:51:42 AM »

I love log cabin quilts.  You might want to bury your knots so they don't show.  Love it so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguinade
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009 12:46:56 PM »

My camera batteries are refusing to charge :-(  I've now got 38 blocks done, and have sewn the middle 16 blocks together (I took a 3 week break in there for a kidney infection :-( )  I've also been dragging my heels because, while I'm moving to a beautiful new 2 bedroom apartment in May, my current room isn't nearly big enough to lay out a full 8x8 foot quilt :-(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009 03:33:40 PM »

So pretty!  Log cabins always seem to be my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguinade
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009 12:40:32 PM »

My camera is working again  Cheesy

I've got the first two blocks of the final round done . . . only 26 more to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009 01:34:02 PM »

Oh it's looking sooo gorgeous!  I still really love it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
panul
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009 03:00:09 PM »

Your colors are so beautiful and peaceful, and your construction seems to be flawless. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 07:01:37 AM »

Wow!  You're working hard!  Can't wait to see the finished quilt, it looks very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 5 Minute Makeup Tutorial
Nail a Half-Moon Manicure with This Easy DIY Trick
How to Get Rid of Nail Stains
Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2014 - Backstage with Pat McGrath and Guido Palau
Katy Perry Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...